Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
  1. #1
    AngloVike's Avatar
    AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Sandhurst, UK
    Posts
    6,784
    Blog Entries
    4

    Why bother with the combine?

    Luck and Griffin are both thinking about not throwing until their Pro days, Blackmon is saying that his hamstring is sore and he may skip the 40yd dash but will then do it at his Pro day.
    So please tell me why have the Combine when the potential players don't want to show their skills. If all we want to know is their height and weight then give them some quarters and pack them off to Target.
    I just hope some of these players pulling this stunt then fall flat on their Pro days as they won't have the luxury of a second try at it.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...


  2. #2
    gregair13's Avatar
    gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    14,597

  3. #3
    tarkenton10's Avatar
    tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,211
    Quote Originally Posted by AngloVike View Post
    Luck and Griffin are both thinking about not throwing until their Pro days, Blackmon is saying that his hamstring is sore and he may skip the 40yd dash but will then do it at his Pro day.
    So please tell me why have the Combine when the potential players don't want to show their skills. If all we want to know is their height and weight then give them some quarters and pack them off to Target.
    I just hope some of these players pulling this stunt then fall flat on their Pro days as they won't have the luxury of a second try at it.
    The combine is not for those guys, they are going to go high and not much they do at the combine would change that. The combine is for a WR like Stephen Hill out of GT who was in an option system and only caught 28 passes. He has blazing speed (4.30) and is tall at 6' 4" and 215. He went from a fifth round pick IMO to a high third and rising fast. He could go at the end of the first round as he showed pasion for the game diving for balls and had decent route running ability ( a big thing teams wanted to see from WRs ). He would be a great get for us in the second IMO considering Blackmon and Floyd should be gone by the time we pick in the second round.

    There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

  4. #4
    seaniemck7's Avatar
    seaniemck7 is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    1,453
    Quote Originally Posted by tarkenton10 View Post
    The combine is not for those guys, they are going to go high and not much they do at the combine would change that. The combine is for a WR like Stephen Hill out of GT who was in an option system and only caught 28 passes. He has blazing speed (4.30) and is tall at 6' 4" and 215. He went from a fifth round pick IMO to a high third and rising fast. He could go at the end of the first round as he showed pasion for the game diving for balls and had decent route running ability ( a big thing teams wanted to see from WRs ). He would be a great get for us in the second IMO considering Blackmon and Floyd should be gone by the time we pick in the second round.
    Not only that, but this is the one place you get all the guys and all the teams Doctors in the same place. The medical check can be just as important as the position drills when it comes to evalutating a player.

  5. #5
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,935
    I think the combine is more for the fans, than for anyone else, however, what our good friend Tark says rings true. Not sure how many times I heard Mayock say...."Wow, I have to go back and look at some more tape on that cat".......

    In short, if you can get the coaches and the scouts to look at you again, it might get you drafted or it might even get you drafted higher.

    On a side note, loved watching the "Bigs" on each side of the ball, especially a few of those "War Pigs" that I covet so bad.......(Poe, Da'Tamu, Brockers would all make me happy, and our defense a whole hell of alot better)

    Nice article on the DL techniques for those that are interested......

    Defensive Line Techniques The Prototypes

    Defensive Line Techniques - The Prototypes | ProFootballFocus.com


    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  6. #6
    Mr Anderson's Avatar
    Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    7,692
    A few guys that were off my radar impressed me from the OL group. James Brown out of Troy and Adam Gettis of Iowa as guards. Kelechi Osemele from Iowa St at tackle.

    On the d-line I liked what I saw from Mike Martin out of Michigan, Brandon Thompson from Clemson and Mike and Marcus Forston from Miami were impressive as DTs.

    WRs I liked Stephen Hill out of Georgia Tech, Travis Benjamin out of Miami and Gerrell Robinson out of ASU.

    And the opposite of these guys, a guy I was really excited to see what he could do at the combine was Mohamed Sanu. I didn't get to watch him in drills, but he was disappointing in the athletic measurements. 4.67? He does not play that slow. This guy is damn good receiver, if his disappointing combine makes him drop past the second round (which I have a hard time imagining) we'd better snag him at the top of the 3rd.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    952
    Marr
    Couldnt agree more. I didnt see a whole lot from the skill positions on Offense that I didnt expect this combine. What I was pleased to see however is how deep this draft class is on the both lines, and in the secondary. The receivers and top Qbs are a nice story but we need to reboot our whole system. I was suprised by Kalil's athleticism (he could warrant the top pick for us),especially after hearing AP on Dan Patrick talk about who the team is telling him they are looking at. But with other teams lining up to get into the RGIII, Luck and the Blackmon issue we can pick up a couple picks which could turn into serious value for us. I favor taking a defensive lineman who can rush the passer as that seems like the only way to deter the Det and GB offenses (see NY Giants). The Corners and Safeties this year look really good, we all know how much help we need on the back end. All of the guys last night in the DB drills look to be a major upgrade for us. I think that we look to move a few aging veterans as well as a way to clear up the cap and start fresh also.

    This is a great opportunity for the Vikes. Lets make sure to get the pick in on time, and no more Chris Cook's please.......

  8. #8
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,935
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Anderson View Post
    A few guys that were off my radar impressed me from the OL group. James Brown out of Troy and Adam Gettis of Iowa as guards. Kelechi Osemele from Iowa St at tackle.

    On the d-line I liked what I saw from Mike Martin out of Michigan, Brandon Thompson from Clemson and Mike and Marcus Forston from Miami were impressive as DTs.

    WRs I liked Stephen Hill out of Georgia Tech, Travis Benjamin out of Miami and Gerrell Robinson out of ASU.

    And the opposite of these guys, a guy I was really excited to see what he could do at the combine was Mohamed Sanu. I didn't get to watch him in drills, but he was disappointing in the athletic measurements. 4.67? He does not play that slow. This guy is damn good receiver, if his disappointing combine makes him drop past the second round (which I have a hard time imagining) we'd better snag him at the top of the 3rd.
    Loven me some Sanu my friend. I would shit if they landed him or Toon.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  9. #9
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,935
    Quote Originally Posted by slavinator View Post
    Marr
    Couldnt agree more.

    I favor taking a defensive lineman who can rush the passer as that seems like the only way to deter the Det and GB offenses (see NY Giants).
    You just moved up on several of my new spreadsheets I've been working on during my sabbatical in the comm closets that last few months.......snicker........

    Especially that last comment. Only way to beat those passing games is to move the QB from the pocket to the DEs and blitzing LB'rs.

    Having said that, I would love to see them pass on Kalil and take Poe, but think they are going to target Ta'amu (they had him in the senior bowl) in the 3rd. Just not sure if he will still be there that long. Maybe Brockers will get out of the first round into the second, but I doubt it.

    Mayock is saying things like 9 DTs will be taken in the first round.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  10. #10
    Mr Anderson's Avatar
    Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    7,692
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    You just moved up on several of my new spreadsheets I've been working on during my sabbatical in the comm closets that last few months.......snicker........

    Especially that last comment. Only way to beat those passing games is to move the QB from the pocket to the DEs and blitzing LB'rs.

    Having said that, I would love to see them pass on Kalil and take Poe, but think they are going to target Ta'amu (they had him in the senior bowl) in the 3rd. Just not sure if he will still be there that long. Maybe Brockers will get out of the first round into the second, but I doubt it.

    Mayock is saying things like 9 DTs will be taken in the first round.
    I hope that passing on Kalil and taking Poe scenario includes trading the #3 pick. Before the combine most were rating Poe as a late first or second round pick, with a handful of mockers having him in the mid first round. I can easily see why a ridiculous combine workout can elevate someone's opinion of a player, but I'd hate to see us make that mistake again - Erasmus James ring a bell?

    I think Poe has the ability to be an absolute terror as a 1-2-3 technique DT in the NFL, but he's not a player worthy of the #3 pick right now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •