Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Dibbzz is offline Starter
    I think if we could somehow manage to get Courtland Finigan and LeRon Landry somehow that would kick a lot of ass for our weak secondary. I was thinking how good it would be to get Vincent Jackson or Dwayne Bowe but they're going to be too expensive and we can always address WR in the draft. That said, I would be intrigued about the idea of bringing in either Mario Manningham or Steve Johnson (if he doesn't sign a long-term deal with Buffalo) since they'd hopefully be a bit cheaper on the Viking's wallets.

Ben Grubbs or a Carl Nicks would be great for the offensive line but sadly I feel that they, too would be expensive and are looking for more lucrative contracts then we'd be willing to offer. I have a feeling either Reiff or Kalil will be our first pick to take care of that need.

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dibbzz View Post
    I think if we could somehow manage to get Courtland Finigan and LeRon Landry somehow that would kick a lot of ass for our weak secondary. I was thinking how good it would be to get Vincent Jackson or Dwayne Bowe but they're going to be too expensive and we can always address WR in the draft. That said, I would be intrigued about the idea of bringing in either Mario Manningham or Steve Johnson (if he doesn't sign a long-term deal with Buffalo) since they'd hopefully be a bit cheaper on the Viking's wallets.

Ben Grubbs or a Carl Nicks would be great for the offensive line but sadly I feel that they, too would be expensive and are looking for more lucrative contracts then we'd be willing to offer. I have a feeling either Reiff or Kalil will be our first pick to take care of that need.
    I would rather address the DB situation witht the draft rather than WR. The WR position has way more busts than DBs coming out of college. Get an established really good #1 WR in FA and draft dbs. I think we will take an OL iwth the first pick also, but I hope we get Nicks that would be a great fit. The other thing that is good about drafting a LOT is that you can address two positions. You can move Johnson in to a guard position or even move him to right tackle because I am not sure loadholt is cutting it.

I don't like Landry, he is a big hitting S but with the new rules that isn't as big an advantage as before. And landry's cover skills are not the greatest, plus he will be looking to land a big payday.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    We can only hope that Spielman and company are looking at this like we are! It’s a two part process, First Free Agency, and then the draft. We're sitting in a pretty good place as far as the draft goes, thanks to our worst season ever and the fact that Edwards, Rice, and Jackson got starting gigs for decent contracts elsewhere, which should lead to some extra compensatory picks...but, Free Agency happens first, so we'll need to get our priorities straight before March 13!

First off, we've got to make some tough decisions on our own free agents. According to KFFL, we've got a lot of guys about to hit the market. My guess is we won't resign many, if any before that time comes. Instead, letting them hit the market to see what they can command, and then signing them back for deals later…if we can.

Shanko, maybe for a reasonable rate, if his head isn't bigger than reality.
    EJ,well, we might give Jasper a chance in what looks to be a youth movement, but I think we’d be wise to keep him for a reasonable price tag on a 3-4 year contract.
    If we let Fred Evens and Letroy Guion go, we'll need at least 2 more DTs in the rotation...?
    BB is gone, Camarilo and Aromashado could be too...I like Aromashadu a lot, as a third or fourth guy. Might be a guy to resign early to a reasonable contract with incentives.
    Couple of 3rd on the depth chart guys, Sage and Booker will need replacing if we don’t resign them...I'd kinda like to keep Sage as I think he fits the role of veteran with some experience who can perhaps help our 2 young guys develop...and for a good price. I’m pretty confident we can get a good third RB in the middle rounds of the draft…maybe even a shifty, fast guy who can upgrade the return game too.
    And then there's the secondary, a long time weakness where we've got 3 S and 2 CBs hitting Free Agency and another likely going to jail. We might need to draft one of each AND sign a FA of each!
    That’s just the guys whose contracts are ending; we’ve also got some serious rebuilding to do along our OL. Hutch’s health has become an issue, LT is non-existant and RG and RT could use better depth at the least.

2012 NFL Free Agents

The way I see it, we need to pick our battles well, it’s pretty likely we won’t sign the top guy at any position, given our cap and status as third worst team in football. The LT cupboard looks pretty bare. San Diego cut McNeil, so I’m guessing they’ll keep Gaither. Bell looks likely to return to Buffalo. WR on the other hand features a pretty impressive list: Vincent Jackson, Dwayne Bowe, and Marques Colston at the top, and then some pretty durn good 2nd tier guys in Reggie Wayne, Stevie Johnson, and Brandon Lloyd. It looks like we could probably get a good deep threat in free agency. V-Jax can totally dominate games at times, but also disappears in others and is getting up there in age having just turned 29. If he’d take an incentive laden contract with good base pay, I’d be all for him, but I think I’d rather snag Colston or Bowe due to them being younger and a bit less likely to be a headache.

IF we’re willing to spend, there are also some upgrades available at CB. My gut feeling is that Cortland Finnegan will follow Fischer to St Louis, but guys like Brandon Carr, Carlos Rogers, Brent Grimes and Richard Marshall would provide some much needed, top-end depth to our secondary. I’d like to see a push for a cover corner like Carr, AND a guy who can play safety like Marshall.

IF we can add a deep threat WR, a CB with cover skills, and a decent Safety option in free agency, we roll into the draft with some of the biggest holes filled and knowing what we want: a LT in the first, and probably a DT and/or LB at the top of the 2nd. Maybe, we even move that 2nd round pick up a lil with some of those late picks we’ve been stockpiling. Thing is, even if STL snags Kalil ahead of us, that leaves RG3 or Luck sitting there as trade bait, and we can most likely move back a few spots and still land Reily Reiff or Jonathan Martin as our LT of the future.
    I’ve seen quite a few mocks that have us landing Kalil and then Dontari Poe with our first two picks, and I’d be thrilled with that scenario, to see some youth infused on BOTH sides of the trenches!! Fat Chance Poe falls all the way to the 35th pick tho…guys who are 350 and can still move are pretty dang rare. So, maybe, we have to give up a bit to make it happen. We’d still have plenty of later picks left for developmental and special teams type guys, and a TE who’s main function is blocking.

I believe that these moves along with some positive development from our 2 young QBs puts us in a position to compete immediately…ya know, a 8-8 range team who might luck into a playoff spot if they stay healthy, improve as the year rolls on, and get hot at just the right moment, ala NYG. I just hope we don’t go fully into the young and cheap routine, and try to rebuild through the draft only, cuz that will likely take 2 or 3 or maybe even 4 years! D’oh!!!

Well, there’s my plan, what-do-ya think PPO???
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Braddock is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainviking View Post

I'm ok with it. However, If Wilf is going to have to put up $1 Billion for a stadium, then we won't be able to afford anybody. C'mon Minnesota, agree to some taxes that I, as a floridian, will not have to pay. You Cheap-os
    Trying to bring rationale to an irrational site

PackSux! is offline Hall of Famer
    Albert Haynesworth. I said it last year and I will say it this year. He would come cheap and I would be willing to bet that KWill and Jared would be able to light a fire under his ass.

Albert is a head case but when he gets pissed he is a machine.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    He certainly would look good in a 3-4

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Albert Haynesworth? Is he even relevant anymore?

When is the last time he put forth a decent season? 2009? 2008?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Braddock View Post
    I'm ok with it. However, If Wilf is going to have to put up $1 Billion for a stadium, then we won't be able to afford anybody. C'mon Minnesota, agree to some taxes that I, as a floridian, will not have to pay. You Cheap-os
    except...no.

Stadium comes out of Wilf's pocket.

Team salary comes out of team funds.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    except...no.

Stadium comes out of Wilf's pocket.

Team salary comes out of team funds.
    I think that the Vikings and a new stadium brings enough cash flow into the area to have a local sales tax help pay for the stadium. Not a statewide, everybody pays, but something that targets the fans who go to the games...and concerts and other sporting events etc that a new stadium would host. If we can host one Superbowl, or Final Four because we have a new stadium, it will bring enough money to the area to more than justify it.

Not to mention all the extra jobs it will create. Come on MN, lets get this done!

Back to Free Agents...another realization on Finnegan at CB: if he doesn't follow Fischer to STL, good chance he rejoins his old DC in Detroit. D'oh!
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainviking View Post
    I think we have the following areas to address in the FA, Draft and late FA periods:

a. DT
    b. LT
    c. CB
    d. FS
    e. MLB (no need for a OLB is they move Griff to the Sam and Chad back to the Will)
    f. WR (need two of them)
    g. G
    h. RB

DT - There are 3 starters in this draft with 2 later round projects. Poe, Brocker and Da'atamu

Poe will go to high to get him. Brocker will also go in the latter part of the first. 3rd best 0/1 technique is Da'atamu who might slide into the first, early second just because there is alot of need for them, especially now that the rest of the league is now onboard with the need to have a DT that can collapse a pocket.

Might be a hard spot to fill if your not willing to use your second or a mix of picks to move back up into the first round.

WR - A very nice FA class and an even better draft class.

FA
    Vjax, as much as I like him, will probably cost to much. Only hope we have is that we showed interest in him once, we might try to get him again.

Colston is to injury prone but wouldn't be to upset if we landed him.

Garcon is the one I think we will target.

All others, like Bowe will either be tagged or cost more than we can afford.

Draft - I like several of the Z recievers coming out this year starting with Blackmon but think Kalil will be the guy we use our first pick on so he is out of the question. If we use our second rounder on a DT, then we should be looking at the BWRA at the top of the 3rd. Guys like Floyd, Randle, Jeffrey and Hill will all probably go in the second so your left with Sanu, Toon and Criner early in the third.

Solution....Get Garcon as your FA and draft one of the cats I listed above that is there in the 3rd.

TE - This is a problem this year. Not much to draft and because of that, everyone will be over paying for TE's, especially if they are a "inline" kindof cat that can block and catch.

Only solution I see is to resign Shanc and get our damn staff to quit using so many damn TE's.

G - I think you keep Herrera or pick up a vet to replace him. Let Hutch go and draft a kid to compete for a starting spot with your G's already on the roster but your number one solution should be to put Charlie there to play next to Kalil to help him out.

My biggest concern is Herrera seems to be pretty injury prone. If we are lucky we will fix that spot in FA.

OLB - As I said, this is easy. Move Chad back, have Griff slim down a bit and draft some depth behind them.

MLB - Give Jasper the nod, but draft a kid in the 4th. I haven't had time to look at them, but the class doesn't seem like it is full of MLB's that are worth drafting. We might have to look at the FA market here and if so, then I would recommend we go ahead and see what kindof deal we can do with EJ.

I bet the feeling on here is that he needs to go, but I am not so sure that we can't get one more year out of him, especially if we fix the OLB spots that our new Asst HC/LB coach screwed up last year. Chad and Griff would be active enough around the line to give EJ the lattitude to play back in his zone as the scheme dictates vice up on the line like we saw so much last year.

CB/FS - Good thing for us, this draft is a glut with them, especially the "Press Zone"/"C2" types we are looking for.

I say you keep Griff, drop Whinny and hope to all that is holy that Cook was defending himself and is allowed to come back. Let Asher, Burton and Sherels fight it out for the backup spots behind Cook and Griff.

- Key note - For those of you that want to tell me that Griff is done, lets not forget, it takes 2 years to come back from a knee like he had (twice). My guess is he was just starting to come around late last year as his play indicated when he was allowed to play towards the end.

RB - RB's are a dime a dozen now. Draft one late, and bring in 3 or 4 undrafted guys and see what happens with AD and Toby come camp time.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast