MulletMullitia is offline PP.O Ambassador
    Blog Entries

Vikings sign Zack Bowman

Zack Bowman signs with Vikings | ProFootballTalk

The Vikings have been looking for help at cornerback since the start of free agency and theyíve finally landed someone at the position.

As it turns out, they didnít have to look that far. ESPNChicago.com reports that the Vikings have signed Zack Bowman away from their NFC North rivals at Soldier Field. Per the report, it is a one-year deal.

Bowman isnít likely to stop the drumbeat for help at corner in the Twin Cities. Bowman had a decent 2009 season as a starter for Chicago, but lost his starting job early in 2010 and never recovered it. Even with Chris Cook returning, the Vikings have enough needs at corner that Bowman will have a chance to win significant playing time, but heís hardly the kind of no-doubt starter that many Vikings fans likely wanted to see the team acquire this offseason.

Those wishes arenít going to come to fruition. General manager Rick Spielman made it clear this weekend that the Vikings arenít looking for blockbusters via free agency. Useful players like Bowman who may have more upside than salary are the order of the day in Minnesota.

Sorry Rick! Keep up the good work.

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries
    Hope our strategy of signing a whole bunch of players no one never heard of works out..

Even better, the deals are one-year deals, so if they actually does show to be good players, they will leave next year..

Hopefully we can get a whole lot of compensation picks then

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

seaniemck7 is offline Hall of Famer
    A bigger corner with C2 experience. I like the signing, but the one year deal is a head scratcher.

Here is what my buddy (Die hard Bears fan) said about him:

"I always thought this guy was very underrated.... has been a camp stud but would allow a couple big plays here and there and not as good in run support. But he can intercept the ball and is tall, can cover the big WRs... likely wasnt given enough of a chance with Bears. 5'9" Tim Jennings was given the start over this guy last year and we re-signed Jennings, so I think Bowman figured it was time to leave. Potential, if he could somehow get more consistent."

CPonderFan is offline Rookie
    You guys dont remember this kid?? He had a great 2009 season. I didnt see this one coming, but it could be a solid pickup. Hopefully he will earn a contract extension before the season is over.
    None

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    At least it's something. Will at least help solidify our depth. Seems Spielman is putting all his eggs in the Winfield/Cook combo (Assuming we dont' draft Claiborne), Bowman can probably play the NIckel for us, we wno't be completely awful (until of course a receiver makes its way up to our safeties, then it's game over.

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries
    Winfield is the nickle in this defence..

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

SharperImage is offline Hall of Famer
    so our strategy is to sign bums, and hope they pull a laurent robinson? Sounds like a good plan to me *rolls eyes* O Spielman -_-