Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Carr's best year in the NFL is close to Griffin's last year & Smoot's last year with us, yet people talk about what a great pickup this is & start 4 threads about the signing?

We all know how fans here felt about Griffin's play last year or Smoot's play when he was here, yet they are happy we inked Carr?

I must be missing something.
    Last edited by singersp; 04-05-2012 at 06:40 AM.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Carr's best year in the NFL is close to Griffin's last year & Smoot's last year with us, yet people talk about what a great pickup this is & start 4 threads about the signing?

We all know how fans here felt about Griffin's play last year or Smoot's play when he was here, yet they are happy we inked Carr?

Exactly. I don't see Carr as a solid starting CB, but probably more than adequate for a nickel position, which is his true position. Problem is we have a bunch of guys in that same category. He's listed at 5'10 and 180, a bit small unless he has the intensity of Winfield.

We'll see how this finishes out through the rest of the offseason. He does provide additional depth and upgrades the talent of our current (sans Griffin) roster, but I wouldn't say he upgrades the position from Griffin. He's just a new name on the roster which brings hope. Kind of like Sapp, Walker, Sheppard.

Another guy with a one year contract?

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    Exactly. I don't see Carr as a solid starting CB, but probably more than adequate for a nickel position, which is his true position. Problem is we have a bunch of guys in that same category. He's listed at 5'10 and 180, a bit small unless he has the intensity of Winfield.

We'll see how this finishes out through the rest of the offseason. He does provide additional depth and upgrades the talent of our current (sans Griffin) roster, but I wouldn't say he upgrades the position from Griffin. He's just a new name on the roster which brings hope. Kind of like Sapp, Walker, Sheppard.

Another guy with a one year contract?
    I'm jumping on the bandwagon here with yall... WTF are ppl happy about this signing? he's 29 which is older than what "the plan" spielman has implemented of signing guys off their first contracts. He was hurt all last year and while he's solid, he's hardly the improvement we need in the secondary...

BIG YAWN!!

I think it's a great pick up. With the vikings current secondary, I'll take anyone.

After watching last year, I truly believe that was the worst secondary I have ever seen play. I know there were injuries and other set backs (Cook), but he isn't a sure star either. I will take any help that becomes available.

Carr is a start in the right direction.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by idahovikefan7 View Post
    I think it's a great pick up. With the vikings current secondary, I'll take anyone.

After watching last year, I truly believe that was the worst secondary I have ever seen play. I know there were injuries and other set backs (Cook), but he isn't a sure star either. I will take any help that becomes available.

Carr is a start in the right direction.
    The signing is fine. 1 yr, adds depth. Might surprise. Best guy left in FA. Anyone would be better, and he fits that category.

If we stop here though and go into the season with this cast of db's, I don't see us any better than last year. Unless Cook plays 16 games and plays at the level he did before his bout with anger.

If signing Carr and Bowman means that we drop off Burton and Sherels/Allen along with drafting a solid guy in the draft, then I would say that we have done a good job at upgrading this position without breaking the bank.

I have my suspiciions though that this means that our first few picks will look more like OT, WR and S/MLB. Which suits me fine, just saying don't expect the db skill level to be up much from last year.

purplepat is offline Hall of Famer

I agree with you, Steve.

The best thing I can say about Carr is that he has been "good enough" to hang around the NFL for seven pretty nondescript seasons. At least he was a 16 game starter and "decent" for the Ravens in 2010. Injuries limited him last year. Benny Sapp still had more passes defensed (10) for the Dolphins in 2010 than Carr did for the Ravens (8).

At worst, Carr is a nickel/dime back type that has a heck of a lot more experience and playing time than Marcus Sherels and Brandon Burton. I guess he might start, if the Vikes make Winfield a full time nickel back; otherwise I see no way this guy starts ahead of Winfield, Cook, or a 1st/2nd round CB in this year's draft.
    SKOL VIKINGS!

PackSux! is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by purplepat View Post
    I agree with you, Steve.

The best thing I can say about Carr is that he has been "good enough" to hang around the NFL for seven pretty nondescript seasons. At least he was a 16 game starter and "decent" for the Ravens in 2010. Injuries limited him last year. Benny Sapp still had more passes defensed (10) for the Dolphins in 2010 than Carr did for the Ravens (8).

At worst, Carr is a nickel/dime back type that has a heck of a lot more experience and playing time than Marcus Sherels and Brandon Burton. I guess he might start, if the Vikes make Winfield a full time nickel back; otherwise I see no way this guy starts ahead of Winfield, Cook, or a 1st/2nd round CB in this year's draft.
    I am happy with this signing because it gives me hope that we will draft Kalil with number 3 and Hill with 35 and not waste a 1st or second round pick on a corner. I just have a hard time believing that more than two wr will go in the first round. Two many teams in my opinion took care of that position during free agency.

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PackSux! View Post
    I am happy with this signing because it gives me hope that we will draft Kalil with number 3 and Hill with 35 and not waste a 1st or second round pick on a corner. I just have a hard time believing that more than two wr will go in the first round. Two many teams in my opinion took care of that position during free agency.
    If only two WRs go in the first then I would much rather us get Alshon Jeffery than Stephen Hill.
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

Johnson14 is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcdon00 View Post
    Nice pick-up. Probably the best corner available.
    +1

Like this pick up

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion
    I like this signing

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast