Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Vikings, Matt Kalil: A perfect match?

Out of 22 mock drafts from personalities at
    NFL.com
    , ESPN, CBS Sports and more, only one analyst - NFL Network's Brian Baldinger - picked a player other than Kalil for Minnesota at No. 3. Baldinger chose Blackmon.
    Vikings, Matt Kalil: A perfect match? - TwinCities.com

I found this kindof comical though...

If the Vikings take Kalil, Kiffin said, they will get a lineman perfectly suited for today's NFL, which thrives on quickness.
    "The 3-4 outside linebackers now are so fast - that's why we're talking right now," Kiffin said. "Teams need a guy like Matt to help with that."
    Teams are moving away from the 3-4 not moving to it. If anything, that is an issue for Matt at the next level.....

The biggest knock on Kalil is that he sometimes gives up too much ground against strong defensive ends.
    "Every once in a while, he will get bull-rushed," Mayock said. "But he'll ultimately be an exceptional pass protector."
    As teams move to the 4-3, the speedier guys go away and the big bull rushers will become more the norm.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    As teams move to the 4-3, the speedier guys go away and the big bull rushers will become more the norm.
    We tried the big bookends remember? All they do in the passing game is provide a temporary obstacle for fast DE's to run around on their way to sacking the QB.

You just don't care for OL men named Matt playing for the Vikings.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    We tried the big bookends remember? All they do in the passing game is provide a temporary obstacle for fast DE's to run around on their way to sacking the QB.

You just don't care for OL men named Matt playing for the Vikings.
    and judging by Frazier's latest comments it seems that he doesn't either :-(
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

Vikings head coach: 'left tackle is not necessarily the game-changer'

Vikings head coach: 'left tackle is not necessarily the game-changer' - CBSSports

of the four "priority positions" -- quarterback, left tackle, pass rusher and shutdown cornerback -- left tackle has become less important because "The elite quarterbacks camouflage and compensate for offensive line deficiencies in many ways
    The optimum word here again is "elite". Elite QB's do compensate for offensive line deficiencies.

When we ink an "elite" QB, I'll be less worried about signing an elite LT. As it stands, we have Ponder & he's far from being elite. He may pan out to be a very good QB, but I don't think he'll be an elite QB in the same class as Brady, Peyton & Brees.

If he does prove me wrong and eventually get there, then at that time when he does become "elite", we may no longer need an elite LT. Until that time comes, if ever, we need to protect him all we can with elite linemen so they can compensate for Ponder's deficiencies.