Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,271

    Vikings Have $14+ Million In Cap Room

    Vikings Still Have More Than $14 Million Remaining In Cap Room

    Vikings Still Have More Than $14 Million Remaining In Cap Room - SB Nation Minnesota

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  2. #2
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,271
    It's somewhat odd to see that Minnesota has 51 contracts - more than most teams with less room, but are among the highest in teams with free space. They're not paying many players big dollars.
    That's because they don't have many playmakers.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  3. #3
    KevinK is offline Starter
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    299
    Great article singer...Thanks!

  4. #4
    Webby's Avatar
    Webby is offline Administrator
    Join Date
    Aug 1998
    Location
    A, A
    Posts
    8,976
    Blog Entries
    6
    When you have no corners, no safeties, no receivers....easy to save cash.

    We will spend some this year, but when and on who? Yikes.

  5. #5
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,778
    Blog Entries
    2
    Our big money players are K-Will, Allen, Peterson and Winfield.

    our QB is on a rookie cap, so no big money there, Harvin makes decent money, but nothing huge. Other than that, who makes significant money on the team? Carlson?

  6. #6
    mountainviking's Avatar
    mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,841
    Greenway got a good deal. Sully got resigned. There's some mid-large contracts.

    14 mil isn't all that much cap room really, we've got an early pick in every round and a couple extra 4ths, we'll likely have 6 or so in rookies leaving us with 9 mil or less. All the top-tier WRs and CBs got 10+/year, still out of our budget.

    Besides, we're going to want a lil wiggle room to sign guys to fill injury holes mid-season, and/or to sign a couple of suddenly Free Agents due to who their former team picks in the draft and/or to fill the holes we missed on in the draft...

    I think we're actually doing this right. We're not at the point of a quick turn around here, we're looking at 2-3 year rebuilding project. Next year, hopefully, we'll have a lil extra space going forward from this year, and expiring contracts of aging vets (Hutch, Griff, Herrera) off the books.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

    "Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

  7. #7
    jmcdon00's Avatar
    jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,281
    It's all part of their plan to Steal Wallace from Pittsburgh after the draft.

  8. #8
    skum's Avatar
    skum is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    2,884
    Blog Entries
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcdon00 View Post
    It's all part of their plan to Steal Wallace from Pittsburgh after the draft.
    We just signed our new WR, some free agent from the Chargers with 3 career catches.. WOO We comin!!


    ----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

  9. #9
    seaniemck7's Avatar
    seaniemck7 is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    1,453
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainviking View Post
    Greenway got a good deal. Sully got resigned. There's some mid-large contracts.

    14 mil isn't all that much cap room really, we've got an early pick in every round and a couple extra 4ths, we'll likely have 6 or so in rookies leaving us with 9 mil or less. All the top-tier WRs and CBs got 10+/year, still out of our budget.

    Besides, we're going to want a lil wiggle room to sign guys to fill injury holes mid-season, and/or to sign a couple of suddenly Free Agents due to who their former team picks in the draft and/or to fill the holes we missed on in the draft...

    I think we're actually doing this right. We're not at the point of a quick turn around here, we're looking at 2-3 year rebuilding project. Next year, hopefully, we'll have a lil extra space going forward from this year, and expiring contracts of aging vets (Hutch, Griff, Herrera) off the books.
    Meh.... I beg to differ. That $14.5M number represents about 12% of the total cap of ~$120M. That's not chump change. There are only 2 other roster spots that would count against the cap since the Vikes are already at 51 (Top 53 contracts count against the cap when you have expanded rosters in the offseason). The $5M rookie pool is a good guess, but still a guess. Even if we did have only $9M to work with there are creative ways to make that number work for us with signing and roster bonuses versus salary numbers. Hell we could add 2 more Carlson-type contracts or one of those $10M+ per year WRs. This is a really basic contract but check it out:

    Hello Mr. Wallace here is my offer to come to the Vikes.
    5years- $50M contract Ė Year 1 salary $1M with a signing bonus of $12.5M- guaranteed $25M. Salaries for remaining contract are Year 2, and 3 $8M; year 4 $9.5M; and year 5 $11M. Cap hits per year look like this:

    Year 1 Year 2 Year 3 Year 4 Year 5
    $3,500,000 $10,500,000 $10,500,000 $12,000,000 $13,500,000

    While it remains to be seen whether or not we are playing our cards right, we certainly arenít being hand cuffed by our cap numbers.

  10. #10
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,271
    Quote Originally Posted by seaniemck7 View Post
    While it remains to be seen whether or not we are playing our cards right, we certainly arenít being hand cuffed by our cap numbers.
    We are however, handcuffed by Spielman.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •