Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Griffin had a couple of good years, but the injuries took there toll. No big surprise here.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    It's not the cutting that bothers me...it's the "replacing" part that I worry about. With this franchise's recent difficulties in finding/developing talent at ANY position (Outside of no-brainers like Peterson and Harvin), and our numerous gaping talent holes, our prospects of actually improving the position are increasingly slim....

Caine
    +1

The front office continually cuts players or lets them walk, only to fill their shoes with less talented, less producing players that come cheaply.

Exactly how bad is your offensive line, when your entire corp of tackles (depth included) consists of Loadholt, Johnson, Love & Brown?

Exactly how bad is your offensive line, when your entire corp of guards (depth included) consists of Berger?

** EDITED** Forgot about DeGeare. (I guess we're set. LOL)
    Last edited by singersp; 03-11-2012 at 01:42 PM.

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Exactly how bad is your offensive line, when your entire corp of tackles (depth included) consists of Loadholt, Johnson, Love & Brown?

Exactly how bad is your offensive line, when your entire corp of guards (depth included) consists of Berger?
    Pretty fucking bad IMHO. Better change dramatically in the next 6 weeks or we will need to fill the roster with a dozen QBs... I feel like this has got to be an indication that Kalil is our guy and that Spielman is assuming to be successful in landing Nicks or Grubbs...of course, I tend to be optimistic about these things.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    The line has been terrible for a long time but I am not convinced it is as much talent related as it is scheme and coaching related.

In 2006 we had an all pro in Bryant McKinny who was a top 10 draft pick LT and we went out and got hutch and we also had Birk at Center along with Herrera. With Hutch,Birk and Mac we had what would be referred to as an "Elite" right side of the line and 2 of them combined for something like 100 Million in contract dollars.

In spite of that the line was not good and IMHO it was no worse last year than it has been n average which leads me to hesitate to take another Elite LT and sign another Elite LG and feel anything will improve appreciably. If the coaching staff is up to NFL standards they would have been getting better production out of that investment and they would have had the reserves able to fill in when a vet got hurt or left the team. None of that developed in the 5 years after Tice and I still don't see that changing even if we blow a 3 on Kalil and FA dollars on Nicks.

I think the Iggles last year were a great example of spending money on high dollar FA's and getting too little in return.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Personally I want to see them work with Fusco, DeGere and Berger as well as Loadholt and then get a guy like Martin at LT.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    The line has been terrible for a long time but I am not convinced it is as much talent related as it is scheme and coaching related.

In 2006 we had an all pro in Bryant McKinny who was a top 10 draft pick LT and we went out and got hutch and we also had Birk at Center along with Herrera. With Hutch,Birk and Mac we had what would be referred to as an "Elite" right side of the line and 2 of them combined for something like 100 Million in contract dollars.

In spite of that the line was not good and IMHO it was no worse last year than it has been n average which leads me to hesitate to take another Elite LT and sign another Elite LG and feel anything will improve appreciably. If the coaching staff is up to NFL standards they would have been getting better production out of that investment and they would have had the reserves able to fill in when a vet got hurt or left the team. None of that developed in the 5 years after Tice and I still don't see that changing even if we blow a 3 on Kalil and FA dollars on Nicks.

I think the Iggles last year were a great example of spending money on high dollar FA's and getting too little in return.
    I believe the scheme & coaching was definitely much of the blame during the KAO Era. I've voiced my opinion about that since 2006 & I believe it's the primary reason that Birk left.

Now it's hard to say. If it's still coaching, they will be trying to do it with less talented players than Childress had.

If the scheme is complicated, like the type of ZB scheme Childress wanted to run, the one that some here said would take 5 years to master, don't bother trying to run it here. We can't keep the same OL in tact for 2 years, let alone 5.

GB rebuilt their OL a few years ago & look at it now. Seattle had an OL worse than ours but it improved as the year went on.

The thing I've failed to see here since Childress/Frasier took over is a constant improvement in our OL. We are no closer today in having a solid OL than we were in 2006.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired
    I think if you're going to draft a tackle at #3, it'd be nice if he were playing next to a guy like Steve Hutchinson.

I don't trust our offensive line coaches. We need a vocal veteran presence on the line.

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni
    Further grist for the mill... NFL Stats: by Team Category

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries
    What is Spielman doing?

Hutch might have declined, but he is still very good.. I had hoped he would stay, Griff deserved a chance at safety and Herrera also.. Now our entire offensive line is in shambles.. We pretty much only have Sullivan and Loadholt, both who have been shaky in their performances over the season..

I guess he plans to draft some Linemen in the draft and leave Ponder with a unexperienced O-Line and no wideouts to throw to.. Get ready to be destroyed.. The Joe Berger era is now.

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast