View Poll Results: With the 3rd pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, the Minnesota Vikings select:

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Matt Kalil

    31 67.39%
  • Justin Blackmon

    8 17.39%
  • Morris Claiborne

    5 10.87%
  • Other

    2 4.35%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 44
  1. #31
    tastywaves's Avatar
    tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,869
    Quote Originally Posted by psahni View Post
    I think we need to come to the realization that There are no real playmakers in our secondary. I respectully disagree with your points saying that Asher and Griff should still be on this team. Griff, bless his heart and effort, just doesn't look like he's got the athleticism in those knees anymore and allen has only show that he's a liability ala Benny Sapp.

    I hope Hussain isn't back either -- I want a complete overhaul in the secondary. There was nothing not a glimmer of hope anywhere in any game this season that showed me that the secondary was willing to fight or had the capability to play in the NFL as constructed.

    I want a DB and a 1st rd pick for trading the the #3 if im the vikings and that's why I like Cleveland as a trading partner or if Washington want's to part with Landry...
    I agree with you on our secondary, it is clearly one of the worst in the league. Hard to completely revamp it one year, but picking up some real talent should be a priority. Since Frazier seems dead set on sticking with the cover 2, I would like to see us target a safety that can cover the field and make plays. If we get better play out of the safeties, then physical corners like Griffin, Cook, and Winfield if healthy and out of jail should be able to improve on the play from last year.

    Picking up a stud man coverage guy will be wasted if he is forced to play zone and be expected to be as good at stopping the run as the pass.

    Middle linebacker should also be addressed if Leslie insists on sticking with traditional cover 2. We need a MLB who is much better in pass coverage to define the middle of the field and help neutralize all the athletic TE's coming into the league. This along with a real athlete playing safety will greatly improve our pass defense. The other key aspect of course (shout to marrdro), is to create consistent pressure with a four man defensive front, which means we probably do need to pick up a DT that can provide push up the middle.

    I'm not much of a fan of us sticking with a primarily cover 2 based defense, but if that's what it's going to be, lets get the right talent to be a little more effective with it.

  2. #32
    psahni is offline Waterboy
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    12
    I can't say that I'm overly thrilled with the decision to stay in tampa 2, the QB play in the NFL is probably better than it's ever been and the holes in the zone are being exploited more and more. Even if we're staying in the system (and I agree a stud MLB would go a long way) I want a lock down corner. We have Jennings and Megatron 4x a year those guys will rip through any tampa 2 (which is designed to stop them) because they are just freakishly good at getting open. Even when Johnson isn't open he's coming down with it over our smaller guys. That's why I want a lockdown corner. Like I said if we give up 3 and our 2nd rd for #4, and Joe Haden I'd be jumping for joy.
    None

  3. #33
    tastywaves's Avatar
    tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,869
    Quote Originally Posted by psahni View Post
    I can't say that I'm overly thrilled with the decision to stay in tampa 2, the QB play in the NFL is probably better than it's ever been and the holes in the zone are being exploited more and more. Even if we're staying in the system (and I agree a stud MLB would go a long way) I want a lock down corner. We have Jennings and Megatron 4x a year those guys will rip through any tampa 2 (which is designed to stop them) because they are just freakishly good at getting open. Even when Johnson isn't open he's coming down with it over our smaller guys. That's why I want a lockdown corner. Like I said if we give up 3 and our 2nd rd for #4, and Joe Haden I'd be jumping for joy.
    I thought Cook played him pretty well and his size probaby helps against a guy like megatron. Obviously his future is uncertain which puts us in a bad spot.

    I've seen a number of mock drafts that show us picking Alfonzo Dennard with our 2nd round pick. This guy looks like a good match for what we would ask the guy to do, however, I would prefer the height of a Kirkpatrick or Claiborne.

    Alfonzo Dennard, Nebraska

    Analysis

    Man Coverage: Physical player, tough to get off the line against and willing to mix it up downfield. Fluid hips and good short-area to stay with receivers after initial move. Solid if playing off the line, as well, quick feet allow him to catch up to receivers if failing to get a hand on them initially. Deep speed and recovery speed are average, adding that to below-average height could spell trouble against playmaking NFL receivers downfield. Gets too physical at times, gets flagged for grabbing and holding.

    Zone Coverage: Could flourish in zone systems due to closing speed and secure tackling ability. Jumps underneath and slants routes quite well, baiting quarterbacks to throw in his direction. Regularly stands straight up in his backpedal, which causes trouble transitioning when receivers stop their routes short.

    Ball Skills: Breaks up passes with hits and by getting his hand on the ball before it arrives at his man. Make acrobatic interceptions by high-pointing or extending for throws, has excellent vertical jump to compensate for lack of height. Runs well with the ball in his hands, capable of winding his way through traffic to the end zone. Inconsistent adjusting to low throws.

    Run Support: Often out on an island and not forced to support the run in 2010, but there's no issue with his physicality or willingness to stick his nose into the play. Showed capacity to attack screens and runs to his side as a sophomore, both cutting down and wrapping up ballcarriers reliably. Larger receivers can keep him from getting to the ball, though the effort to beat the block is there.

    Tackling: Compact, strong build, tenacity and good closing speed make him a solid tackler on the edge. Rarely misses the tackle to stop receivers they catches passes in front of him in zone or when playing off. Wraps low and holds on to prevent yards after the catch. Good speed and angle gets him credited with tackles while ensuring ballcarriers get to the sideline.

    Intangibles: Feisty player who asks to take on bigger number one receivers and likes to talk on the field. Earned more playing time as a junior due to better preparation. Missed most of two games in 2010 with a concussion. Played through a shoulder injury in 2009. Missed the first three games of the 2011 season with a right hamstring pull.

    --Chad Reuter

  4. #34
    marshallvike's Avatar
    marshallvike is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Posts
    2,471
    More and more mocks have the Rams taking Kalil. That would suck for us. It doesn't sound like Cleveland is willing to give up much to move up. Washington could easily pick up Flynn or Manning. There is no reason to drop back further than that, which means Spielman may do it.

    I'm starting to panic already.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

  5. #35
    midgensa's Avatar
    midgensa is offline Jersey Retired Free Kick Specialist 3 Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,308
    Quote Originally Posted by marshallvike View Post
    More and more mocks have the Rams taking Kalil. That would suck for us. It doesn't sound like Cleveland is willing to give up much to move up. Washington could easily pick up Flynn or Manning. There is no reason to drop back further than that, which means Spielman may do it.

    I'm starting to panic already.
    That is because more and more mocks do not take trades into account.

    RGIII WILL be the second pick of the draft. The Rams have already decided they will trade the pick to the Skins, Browns, Dolphins or some late player according to Adam Schefter. There is just no way the Rams pass on the amount they will likely get offered.

    2012 NFL draft -- St. Louis Rams decide to trade No. 2 overall pick, sources say - ESPN

    And if for some crazy reason they do pass and they take Kalil ... then we are in the catbird's seat. We can take RG III and live with it or trade for some picks and be quite happy with that.

    But all that aside. Virtually everyone seems to think that Luck will go No. 1 and Griffin will go No. 2. We will get Kalil if that is who we want.

  6. #36
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1
    We will get Kalil and he will put fans in the seats for years so they can see him block. No sense in drafting a blue chip DB for the worst secondary in NFL history because we don't face any good offenses anyway. Just run the ball and stop the run. That is the recipe for SB domination.

  7. #37
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,909
    Quote Originally Posted by psahni View Post
    I think we need to come to the realization that There are no real playmakers in our secondary. I respectully disagree with your points saying that Asher and Griff should still be on this team. Griff, bless his heart and effort, just doesn't look like he's got the athleticism in those knees anymore and allen has only show that he's a liability ala Benny Sapp.

    I hope Hussain isn't back either -- I want a complete overhaul in the secondary. There was nothing not a glimmer of hope anywhere in any game this season that showed me that the secondary was willing to fight or had the capability to play in the NFL as constructed.

    I want a DB and a 1st rd pick for trading the the #3 if im the vikings and that's why I like Cleveland as a trading partner or if Washington want's to part with Landry...
    All good points my friend, with one problem, our scheme, by definition, doesn't rely on play makers in the secondary. Their jobs are to keep the plays in front of them and tackle.

    The playmakers are our front 4, really our front 7. Those guys need to disrupt/force mistakes, not our DB's.

    If you want play makers, we need to not only draft a whole new secondary, but we need to find us a HC and D-Coord who want to run a scheme that puts the onus on the DB's to make plays.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  8. #38
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,909
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    I agree with you on our secondary, it is clearly one of the worst in the league. Hard to completely revamp it one year, but picking up some real talent should be a priority. Since Frazier seems dead set on sticking with the cover 2, I would like to see us target a safety that can cover the field and make plays. If we get better play out of the safeties, then physical corners like Griffin, Cook, and Winfield if healthy and out of jail should be able to improve on the play from last year.

    Picking up a stud man coverage guy will be wasted if he is forced to play zone and be expected to be as good at stopping the run as the pass.

    Middle linebacker should also be addressed if Leslie insists on sticking with traditional cover 2. We need a MLB who is much better in pass coverage to define the middle of the field and help neutralize all the athletic TE's coming into the league. This along with a real athlete playing safety will greatly improve our pass defense. The other key aspect of course (shout to marrdro), is to create consistent pressure with a four man defensive front, which means we probably do need to pick up a DT that can provide push up the middle.

    I'm not much of a fan of us sticking with a primarily cover 2 based defense, but if that's what it's going to be, lets get the right talent to be a little more effective with it.
    I'd like to see them move Griff (Everson type) to the SAM, move Chad back to the WILL, and see what Jasper can do as the Mike if EJ doesn't come back.

    Most of our problems, from the LB'rs corps, last year was directly related to Chad moving. I'm not sure who the rocket scientist was that made that decision, but it probably was made by the same cat who couldn't win the the 9rs roster he had, that almost made it to the SB this year.

    Adding a S would be nice. Problem is, I think we won't look at one until the 4th round. There are a couple of nice kids that should be there, but again, 4th rounders usually aren't starters.

    Been saying it for years (atleast 3), we can fix most of our defenses problems by getting a big warpig that can play the 0/1 tech. Good thing for us, there are 5 of them in this draft and one should still be available either in the second or third rounds. My guess is the staff saw enough of Ta'amu in the senior bowl (he was a one man wrecking crew the reps he got) that they might try to get him, but I think they might gamble and wait until the 3rd to see if he's there.

    First three picks of Kalil, Sanu (or Toon), and Ta'amu would make my stecker pick up......

    Use the other picks you have to add a S, CB, another WR, G, MLB and for heavens sake A KICKER.....and it would/will be a good draft.

    Going out and getting another vet WR like Garcon would free up the need to use 2 picks on WR's so you could add a RB or a TE in there as well.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  9. #39
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,909
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    I have seen a few that have us taking a kid by the name of Josh Norman in the 3rd/4th. He sure looked good in the E/W Shrine game and seems to have moved up most boards. Like Alfonzo, he is best suited to play either a C2 or a Press/Zone scheme and would be a good fit in our scheme.

    Overview
    Though recruited by some bigger schools, Josh Norman followed his All-American older brother Marrio to Coastal Carolina, signing with the Chanticleer's as a non-scholarship walk-on. Proving himself to be an immediate standout, Norman started seven of the 12 games of his freshman season and all 34 the rest of the way, earning all-conference accolades after each of his final three seasons and a All-American honors as a sophomore and senior. Norman exploded onto the scene in 2009 by shattering the Big South league record and tying for second in the country with eight interceptions. Not surprisingly teams were much more hesitant to throw the ball in his direction over the next two years. He left CCU with 196 tackles (including seven tackes for loss), 35 passes broken up and 13 interceptions over his career. Strong efforts at the East-West Shrine Game and Senior Bowl eased any concerns scouts may have had about Norman's ability to play with the big boys. With his length, athleticism and natural ball skills, Norman will be highly valued by press cover teams and could earn a top 75 pick -- or higher -- if he times well at the Combine.
    Analysis
    Strengths: Long-armed press corner with size, athleticism and ball skills. Gets an effective jab on the receiver and has loose enough hips to turn and run. Good agility and balance when shadowing his target. Competitive player. Plays the ball as if it was thrown for him, showing burst back to the ball as well as good timing for the jump ball. Good hand-eye coordination. Rips the ball out of the hands of receivers as they grasp at it (35 career PBUs) and shows good hands to make the interception (13 career INTs). Possesses long arms (32.5) and can extend and snatch the ball as well as track the ball over his shoulder. Cagey. Will bait quarterbacks to throw in his direction and shows a surprising burst downhill. Alert run defender willing to take on and discard receiver blockers to get to the action. Enjoyed a strong week of practice at the East-West Shrine Game and and a late call-up to the Senior as an injury replacement, impressive in both environments Big play artist on special teams, registering a school-record four blocked kicks
    Weaknesses: At his best in press-man coverage as he has a high backpedal and loses a step turning without a cushion. Plays with adequate speed but there are concerns about his ability to handle the truly explosive speedsters of the NFL. Makes himself vulnerable to big plays on occassion by attempting to bait the quarterback. Was arrested in October 2009 for driving with a suspended license.
    Josh Norman, Coastal Carolina, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

    On a side note, I like the number of "Bigger" CB's coming out this year. Mix in the FS's that are coming out that are also being projected in as C2 CB's (that are big) and I think we can find a couple of gems if Cook and Griff can't come back.

    On a side side note.....Whinny has to go.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  10. #40
    Johnson14's Avatar
    Johnson14 is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,679
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    If the rams trade down, the Vikes take Kalil, and there will be much rejoicing.

    If the rams don't trade down and they take Kalil, the Vikes will trade down, and there will be much rejoicing.

    If the rams don't trade down, and for some unknown reason they don't take Kalil, the Vikings will take him, and there will be much rejoicing.

    All in all, I am looking forward to the draft. It will be hard (but not impossible) to screw this one up.
    What Nodak said... though because it looks so hard to mess this one up, I dont put it past the FO to try!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •