View Poll Results: With the 3rd pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, the Minnesota Vikings select:

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Matt Kalil

31 67.39%
  • Justin Blackmon

8 17.39%
  • Morris Claiborne

5 10.87%
  • Other

2 4.35%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    NDVikingFan66 is offline Team Alumni
    I think it is safe to assume Luck goes #1 to Indy, though that may or may not change.

So, allow me to analyze what could happen next, since everyone talks about teams wanting to trade up to get RG3.

St. Louis - They are set at QB. Very unlikely to pick RG3. More likely to pick Blackmon since they have taken O-Line in the first round the past 2 years if I am not mistaken, and those picks have not panned out. They may need to make a "sexy" pick, so picture Blackmon in Ram uniform.

Minnesota Vikings - We are NOT taking a QB. No way, now how. The only possible exception is Luck falls to us, and if he does, we probably scramble to trade back in the draft.

Cleveland Browns - People think they are likely to trade up to take RG3, but why would they. He should be available when the Browns draft #4, with one possible exception.

Tampa Bay - They are not taking a QB. I think they believe in Freeman, and they have other more pressing issues.

Washington Redskins - They may covet RG3, and because of this, they may be our best trading partner. They will want to jump in front of Cleveland, and this could help us out.

I would love to be sitting at #3 and have RG3 on the board still, and sit and wait on offers from Washington and Cleveland. I would play them against each other, telling them our spot is for sale for the right price. We have so many holes that we could get a good player at either of their 2 spots, plus pick up some other picks.

My thoughts, rip as you see fit.

I Like where we are sitting also. Whichever way it plays out, we need to draft 2 OL in first 4 picks. Am looking forward to combine this year and see how these rise and fall.. Kalil right now would be tough to pass on though.

Traveling_Vike is offline Coordinator
    I kind of like that scenario as well. If Washington is willing to give us good value, I'd make that trade and see who's still on the board at their #6 slot. Could be Blackmon is still there if the Rams take Kalil.

One thing I would watch out for is the Rams jumping on our trade. They could make a sweet deal with the Browns or Redskins just as well as we could, maybe better. However, if they do this, we can still either get Kalil or trade down further for more picks. Not ideal, but still workable.

No matter how the trading goes, I see us getting either Kalil or extra picks. I can't say I'd be unhappy either way.

My Meeple is purple. What color is yours?

LionsFanVisiting is offline Waterboy
    You gotta assume if theres gonna be any trading in the top 10, its gonna be Cleveland and St louis so the Browns can get RGIII. So unless you guys trade, which i only see happening if Cleveland doesnt trade up to #2, I think you can plan seeing Matt Kalil in Minnesota.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Mock Draft 1.0 The Top of the First Round 2012 Through PURPLE Shades
    So, looks like Luck goes number 1. And really, after our struggles to field a decent, long term QB solution, I canít believe theyíre Lucky enough to grab him as they are. Pretty sure itís a Duh.
    The Rams really, really, really need a playmaker outside, and theyíve already invested 2 early picks on OTs who happened to join the IR in consecutive weeks in November, so while I realize they allowed the NFLís worst number of sacks, I think they either go Blackmon or defense. (I keep thinking thereís got to be some big D Linemen who are going to move up the boards with impressive combines.) If they canít trade back, I think they go Blackmon in a talent fits need decision.
    That already takes us to the Vikings. Itís pretty well known that the Browns, who pick next at 4th, are looking to take RG3. But, there are several other teams in the top 15 picks who could use an upgrade at QB as well. I keep thinking the Redskins would like to jump up from 6 to get their QB of the future. Shanahan has made moves to get his QB before and the Rex-Beck combo canít be his starter again if he hopes to keep his job.
    According to the draft trade chart, the difference in value between picking 3rd or 6th is 600. That is just a lil shy of the Redskinís 7th pick of the 2nd round, 510, so theyíd have to give us a lil bit more. Their 4th round pick is worth 88 (also 7th of the round), so that would seal the deal, and give us an extra 2 picks in the top 103 for a total of 5 picks including: 6, 35, 39, 67, 99, and 103 overall!!
    So, weíre definitely gambling a lil with who slips through the cracks to 6th, but I think thereís at least a chance that Kalil could still be there, and definitely some other talent available to fill one of our many holes.
    The Browns have been trying for years to add a playmaker at WR in the 2nd-4th rounds and failed time after time. Maybe, this time, they canít afford to wait, and they pounce on the next best WR, who some may feel is a better pick than Blackmon due to size/speed. Notre Dameís Floyd and South Carolinaís Jeffries both have several inches and close to 20 lbs on Blackmon, while Baylorís Wright will likely have the top speed available. One of these guys could very well be the 4th pick.
    The Bucs only allowed 32 sacks this season, good for 9th best in the NFL. They have an aging CB they could replace with Claiborne, and also lack a true threat at WR, and two of the 3 mentioned above will still be available.
    That gets us back to the Vikings where Kalil is hopefully waiting anxiously for us to stop the slide!! While I love what Blackmon and Claiborne could do for the Vikings as well, I think Kalil is the pick that helps us the most, now and long term. He fills a huge hole at LT and gives the us the opportunity to move Charlie Johnson to OG where heís a better fit, or possibly even RT if Loadholt doesnít improve. At the worst, Charlie is our multi-backup like Hicks used to be, as heís played in the system and can likely fill in admirably at both guard and both tackles spots short term.
    There is depth available at WR in the draft and free agency, so we can still get that one outside playmaker somewhere. At this point, Iím kinda thinking we try to snag Vincent Jackson, D. Bowe, Reggie Wayne or Carolinaís Steve Smith in free agency, so we have a vet to help our young QBs, and we spend those two early 2nd round picks on some much needed youth and talent in our secondary. Perhaps, one of each, CB and Safety.
    In the 3rd and 4th rounds we can get some pretty good talent at OG, and some more rotation for our DL, or possibly a future upgrade at LB.
    What do ya think PPO!?? Am I waaaaaaay too hopeful for an early turn around for our teamÖ?

SKOL VIKINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcdon00 View Post
    Screw the defense, focus on offense. The Patriots and Packers ranked 31 and 32 in defense in the regular season, both are 1 seeds in the playoffs.
    No matter what we do on defense we won't be able to stop the Packers or Lions offenses, our only chance is to out score them.
    Were did that get them.

Balance win championships my friend not offense. The Giants are the favorites today because they have balance on offense (run and pass) and have a defense that matches up will against the Pats (stops the run and isn't to bad at pressuring the CB that makes up for their secondary woes).

Besides, tell the KC Chiefs you can't stop a high flying offense like the PUKERs. Or hey, how about the Giants, with their balance that they can't stop the PUKERs.

Add a vet LT from SD, a vet WR from SD, move Greenway back to the Will, have Griff drop a few pounds and move to the SAM, start the best MLB (EJ or Jasper), move our LT to G were he is best suited.

Draft a DT, WR, FS, OLB, CB, RB and a low round QB along with some low round OL that can be developed.

Fire Musgrove, or atleast convince him that there is another set other than the 23 and 22. Get some counciling for Cook and let him and Asher (with Griff at the nickel as his knees will be 100% this year) and all your problems will be solved.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    Alternate scenario:
    1) Indy -- Luck
    2) St. Louis --- Kalil
    3) MN -- Trade with Clev/Washington -- RGIII is picked

If Cleveland trades up to keep Washington away, then MN takes Claiborne with #4.
    If Washington makes the trade then MN selects Reiff at #6, which could be a reach and probably not BPA, but OL need/importance trumps the BPA mentality in this case.
    I like the idea of someone coming up to 3 to get RGIII. Really like the Deadskin option as they will have to give us more than Cleveland. Reiff (and even Kalil if he keeps slipping) could be there at 6.

Move back into the first for Ta'amu with the extra picks you just got from Washington, take a Floyd or a Sanu with your 2nd and then sprinkle in depth at LB, OL and Secondary with your 3rd, multiple 4ths.

I'm still a bit torn on getting a rook in at LT right now. Based on how bad Load slipped this year, along with the confusion we saw along the line (especially with Hutch), I'm not so sure we have the coaching staff to develop OLmen right now. Maybe you pass on the LT and draft a DB if Clairborne is there.

Again, that might not be a need if Cook comes back. Asher played well, and regardless of what most think, Griff played pretty damn good considering his knees (atleast one of them) wasn't 100%. He should be fine next year. Griff, Cook and Asher all fit the scheme. I am concerned about a FS though is Hussain doesn't come back.
    Last edited by Marrdro; 02-05-2012 at 08:23 AM.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    I like the idea of someone coming up to 3 to get RGIII. Really like the Deadskin option as they will have to give us more than Cleveland. Reiff (and even Kalil if he keeps slipping) could be there at 6.

Move back into the first for Ta'amu with the extra picks you just got from Washington, take a Floyd or a Sanu with your 2nd and then sprinkle in depth at LB, OL and Secondary with your 3rd, multiple 4ths.

I'm still a bit torn on getting a rook in at LT right now. Based on how bad Load slipped this year, along with the confusion we saw along the line (especially with Hutch), I'm not so sure we have the coaching staff to develop OLmen right now. Maybe you pass on the LT and draft a DB if Clairborne is there.

Again, that might not be a need if Cook comes back. Asher played well, and regardless of what most think, Griff played pretty damn good considering his knees (atleast one of them) wasn't 100%. He should be fine next year. Griff, Cook and Asher all fit the scheme. I am concerned about a FS though is Hussain doesn't come back.
    I really like the idea of someone moving up to 3 to draft RGIII also, but I do not see St Louis using the pick when they can drop 2 spots and add a second first rounder.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

psahni is offline Waterboy
    Probably blowing smoke here but what about trading the 3 spot to Cleveland for their 4 and their young DB Haden -- that guy looks like he'll be a stud but they took him top 10 last year -- i doubt they' give up that much but damn it'd be nice. I'd even be up for giving our 2nd round if we could grab kalil at 4 and end up with haden and only have to give up our 1st and 2nd pick
    None

psahni is offline Waterboy
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post

I think we need to come to the realization that There are no real playmakers in our secondary. I respectully disagree with your points saying that Asher and Griff should still be on this team. Griff, bless his heart and effort, just doesn't look like he's got the athleticism in those knees anymore and allen has only show that he's a liability ala Benny Sapp.

I hope Hussain isn't back either -- I want a complete overhaul in the secondary. There was nothing not a glimmer of hope anywhere in any game this season that showed me that the secondary was willing to fight or had the capability to play in the NFL as constructed.

I want a DB and a 1st rd pick for trading the the #3 if im the vikings and that's why I like Cleveland as a trading partner or if Washington want's to part with Landry...
    None

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast