View Poll Results: With the 3rd pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, the Minnesota Vikings select:

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Matt Kalil

    31 67.39%
  • Justin Blackmon

    8 17.39%
  • Morris Claiborne

    5 10.87%
  • Other

    2 4.35%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 44
  1. #11
    Purplemania* is offline Waterboy
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    4
    Actually I can't say you'd go wrong with either Kalil or Blackmon as we desperately need both. However, Lets say they are both super-good, and we can only get one... A stud linemen can help keep Ponder upright but not by himself and even if he can Ponder can throw to Nobodys (All Vikings WR except of course Percy)... On the contrary, Blackmon is the Moss of the 12 draft. He could stretch the field opening up the slants for harvin and the seems for Shiancoe or Rudolph instantly changing the defensive philosophy - send the house at the Vikings cause they have no one to throw to to...

    Again, don''t get me wrong we need OL, we DB but for a return to greatness in 12 we NEED WR now.

    Skol my brothers!

  2. #12
    vikesrgreat2 is offline Starter
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Wausau, WI
    Posts
    223
    Blog Entries
    1
    A thought just came to my mind:

    Suppose RGIII was somehow available at #3, after Luck and Kalil were drafted. Do the Vikings take RGIII if he's the best player remaining on the board???

  3. #13
    jmcdon00's Avatar
    jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,279
    Quote Originally Posted by vikesrgreat2 View Post
    A thought just came to my mind:

    Suppose RGIII was somehow available at #3, after Luck and Kalil were drafted. Do the Vikings take RGIII if he's the best player remaining on the board???
    I think if they have him as the top player available, and you can't get a trade that makes sense, then yes you take him.
    I'm not giving up on Ponder, but the Qb position is still a question mark. If we end up with 2 great QB's, that's a problem I can live with.
    I also think you have to keep the door open to moving up and getting Luck. If the Colts decide to continue with Manning, we are one of the few teams with the Picks to move up. Again if you have two great QB's that's a good problem, with the rookie cap the salary concerns really don't come into play.

  4. #14
    psahni is offline Waterboy
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    12
    There is no chance in hell we trade down from our 3rd spot. We NEED claiborne back there. Like others have said, you can get an O-line man in FA or other spots in the draft, though im truly torn between Kahlil and claiborne, if Kahlil is gone then you get Claiborne if not, you can't go wrong with either but I think it's harder to find a lockdown corner than an OT.
    None

  5. #15
    psahni is offline Waterboy
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    12
    Nope not buying the Manning business. IF RGIII is there then maybe but I'm not overspending for 3 years of Manning when I can have 12 years of a QB after some patience. The team is in a full rebuild mode. Spielman is the GM he's not going to say that he messed up with the Ponder pick so I doubt we take a QB.

    Either an O-lineman or Claiborne. I wouldn't even look at Blackmon at the #3 pick. Too high for a WR after all there are is only 1 Calvin Johnson, and 1 Larry Fitzgerald and yet how many WR's go top 10. Honestly I'd like Claiborne as bad as our O-line is, our secondary is 10x worse.
    None

  6. #16
    TNViking's Avatar
    TNViking is offline Starter
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    209
    My 2 dream scenarios

    1 - Draft kalil (which ever way we can)
    2- trade to Cleveland for the #4 and #22. Take whoever we would have at #3 anyway and get a free 1st rounder at #22.

    And who knows, if the competition is stiff enough between CLE, WASH and MIA maybe we can get more than #4 and #22 and squeeze out a 2nd, 3rd or 4th rounder too.
    Last edited by TNViking; 01-12-2012 at 03:52 PM.

  7. #17
    jmcdon00's Avatar
    jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,279
    Quote Originally Posted by psahni View Post
    Nope not buying the Manning business. IF RGIII is there then maybe but I'm not overspending for 3 years of Manning when I can have 12 years of a QB after some patience. The team is in a full rebuild mode. Spielman is the GM he's not going to say that he messed up with the Ponder pick so I doubt we take a QB.

    Either an O-lineman or Claiborne. I wouldn't even look at Blackmon at the #3 pick. Too high for a WR after all there are is only 1 Calvin Johnson, and 1 Larry Fitzgerald and yet how many WR's go top 10. Honestly I'd like Claiborne as bad as our O-line is, our secondary is 10x worse.
    I wasn't saying get Manning, although if they outright release him it would be hard not to consider it. I'm saying if they keep Manning they could look to trade the number 1 pick, and we'd could draft Luck.

    Full agreement on Blackmon. If he were 6'3 or 6'4 I would consider it but he's 6'1. Hard to dominate outside when you don't have the size, and we already have a slot guy.

  8. #18
    12purplepride28's Avatar
    12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    1,855
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by psahni View Post
    you can get an O-line man in FA or other spots in the draft . . . it's harder to find a lockdown corner than an OT.
    When the hell was the last time someone got a franchise LT in FA? Last time someone got a beastly corner? Asomugha. I'd take my chances drafting a corner in the second round or later and take the OT in the 1st.
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

  9. #19
    tastywaves's Avatar
    tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,869
    After gaining immense wisdom from listening to all the expert analysts and draft sites this is how I would like to see things play out:

    1) Indy -- Luck
    2) St. Louis -- Trade with Cleveland/Washington -- RGIII is picked
    3) MN -- Kalil --- Safest pick, huge need

    Alternate scenario:
    1) Indy -- Luck
    2) St. Louis --- Kalil
    3) MN -- Trade with Clev/Washington -- RGIII is picked

    If Cleveland trades up to keep Washington away, then MN takes Claiborne with #4.
    If Washington makes the trade then MN selects Reiff at #6, which could be a reach and probably not BPA, but OL need/importance trumps the BPA mentality in this case.

    Not necessarily saying this is how I would make the selections, but this is what seems to keep bubbling up as the most likely scenarios. I don't like Blackmon with our first pick. If we get the extra picks with a trade, that would put us in good shape to pick up a corner and safety in the first couple rounds.

  10. #20
    TNViking's Avatar
    TNViking is offline Starter
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    209
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    After gaining immense wisdom from listening to all the expert analysts and draft sites this is how I would like to see things play out:

    1) Indy -- Luck
    2) St. Louis -- Trade with Cleveland/Washington -- RGIII is picked
    3) MN -- Kalil --- Safest pick, huge need

    Alternate scenario:
    1) Indy -- Luck
    2) St. Louis --- Kalil
    3) MN -- Trade with Clev/Washington -- RGIII is picked

    If Cleveland trades up to keep Washington away, then MN takes Claiborne with #4.
    If Washington makes the trade then MN selects Reiff at #6, which could be a reach and probably not BPA, but OL need/importance trumps the BPA mentality in this case.

    Not necessarily saying this is how I would make the selections, but this is what seems to keep bubbling up as the most likely scenarios. I don't like Blackmon with our first pick. If we get the extra picks with a trade, that would put us in good shape to pick up a corner and safety in the first couple rounds.
    Either scenario is good with me. Kalil is best, IMHO. But a CLE trade with Claiborne and a #22 pick should be great too.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •