Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

Swinging for the Fences in the 6th7th round.

There are several players that suffered injuries in during the 2011 season that I would love to see us take a stab at in the 6th and 7th rounds. Rarely do we find a player in these rounds that makes the team so why not draft a 2nd rounder that is schedule to miss most of the 2012 season and simply place them on IR. Here are my candidates.

Josh Chapman, Alabama DT
    6-1/316
    Tore his ACL in Oct. and played thru the season on a bad knee. He is the Prototypical runstuffer. I would love to have him a bit taller(6'3 or 6'4) but he is expected to be available in the 6th and 7th rounds. When healthy he is easily a 2nd or 3rd rounder. Possible late 1st rounder.

WR Ryan Broyles, Oklahoma
    5-10, 192
    I love this kid. All time leading WR in NCAA div 1 history (I still call it that). Has the quickness I wish I dreamed about. Stock should raise as he is getting healthier.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    I'm actually for this. In the late 'throw away' rounds, why not pick guys who either got hurt, or have exceptional talent in one area? (speed, quickness). Even if they lack football skill, we can teach them that, and you never know, one might turn into a great player. I'd call that a success. I'm just sick of drafting corners who run 4.6 40's and are under 5'9" and end up starting

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Short and slow...Leave offense baffled. Wrs drop key 3rd downs when left wide open.

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries
    Broyles is pretty good but has had both ACL and Collarbone injuries.. But surely can't argue with the production.. His stats might be inflated a bit from playing with really good QB's also.. But his hands is pretty good.. Don't know if he will last to the 6th round, same goes for Chapman - right now they seem to be ranked higher by most "experts".

Guys i like who are possible in 6th-7th
    Asa Jackson, CB - Cal Poly
    Donnie Flecther, CB - Boston College
    DeAngelo Tyson, DT - Georgia
    Chris Owusu, WR - Stanford
    Nate Potter, OT - Boise St
    Andrew Datko, OT - FSU
    Ryan Miller, OG - Colorado

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    There are several players that suffered injuries in during the 2011 season that I would love to see us take a stab at in the 6th and 7th rounds. Rarely do we find a player in these rounds that makes the team...
    The optimum word there is "rarely". Ricky boy better start hitting on these late rounders, since he and many fans here believe the Vikings need to rebuild via the draft.

If they are going to rely only on the first few rounds of the draft to "rebuild" with, then we should be a competitive team by perhaps 2018.
    Last edited by singersp; 04-10-2012 at 06:41 AM.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    I keep seeing Broyles going in the third round. Kid was a potential 1st rounder til he got hurt...pretty sure he's long gone by the 6th or 7th. IF he's still there at the top of the 4th, I'd definitely consider him.

I look at those late, 6-7 picks as our UDFAs, cuz, chances are, most UDFAs aren't looking at the Vikings as their first choice at this point in time!

Gotta think what Frazier brought up about DeGeare applies to a lot of Vikings...there was no offseason program last year, so all our young guys came in late and behind the ball in their training. Should help several of our young players.

NFL.com news: What will Vikings do with third overall pick in 2012 draft?

Lombardi's breakdown on where the Vikes are at, and how we got there seems pretty spot on to me...Kalil if we stay where we are, but definitley considering Claiborne, Blackmon, Floyd etc if we move back a lil.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

As a Sooners fan, I want the Vikings to draft Ryan in the 2nd round, keep Ryan away from the Cowboys, Bears, Packers, Lions, Giants and Jets!

Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    I'm actually for this. In the late 'throw away' rounds, why not pick guys who either got hurt, or have exceptional talent in one area? (speed, quickness). Even if they lack football skill, we can teach them that, and you never know, one might turn into a great player. I'd call that a success. I'm just sick of drafting corners who run 4.6 40's and are under 5'9" and end up starting
    Huh.....we can?
    I bet you could use a cool one huh Clark...Now you're talkin Eddie...

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    With the roster stacked as it is I had heard we might not even bother drafting past the 3rd round because it wouldn't be fair to those guys to not have any chance to compete.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    With the roster stacked as it is I had heard we might not even bother drafting past the 3rd round because it wouldn't be fair to those guys to not have any chance to compete.
    I'd didn't think of that angle. I was thinking he might not bother drafting past the 3rd because most draftees sign 4 year contracts & that's 3 years longer than his standard 1 year contract.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast