Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Spielman's Draft History

Rick Spielman's Draft History

Rick Spielman's Draft History - Daily Norseman

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

More Spielman disparagement.....

nothing doomed Spielman more than his penchant for trading away valuable draft picks and failing to secure fair compensation for key players lost to free agency.
    There are still more examples to cite, like questionable free agent signings (e.g. Derrius Thompson), re-signings (Jay Fiedler), and Spielman�s poor track record of success in the upper rounds of the draft.

You get the idea.

Spielman never did. Rather, he was mystified how others couldn�t see the brilliance of his decisions. In his own world, he was a genius.
    Spielman Leaves Mixed Legacy in Miami

Who has a warm fuzzy of our upcoming 3rd round pick now with Spielman being GM?

smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    It's moving up the board to reach for players that bothers me most. It wastes draft picks and squanders draft capital.
    Perhaps he does it because he lacks the ability to spot mid and late round talent.
    Giving away picks is no way to build a team.

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    Its not like he was the mastermind that did the Herschel Walker deal or drafted 2 first round busts in the same year like Troy Williamson and Erasmus James only to get 7th round picks in return when unloading them or draft a guy in the first round that decides he isn't going to play football like Underwood............Spielman hopefully doesn't try to out do any of those

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    It is always easy to nitpick draft decisions with the benefit of hindsight. I would like to see how Speilman's drafts have compared against all the other GMs or draft decision makers. My honest guess is that he is in the top half.

Almost every team makes moves on draft day - some work out, but to be honest most don't. There are 254 people selected each draft, yet if we see 20 of them live up to their predictions, it is a very good year. Hell, that is only about 1/3 of the players selected in the first two rounds. That is a lot of room for failure, so looking at any one person in isolation will likely give you a negative impression of their scouting abilities.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    I definitely do, but in all fairness I would venture to say it is from all the booze in my system right now. I am pretty confident the vikes are doomed as long as Rick is out there burning up valuable draft picks on meatheads. I know people are saying we can't screw up this draft but I have low expectations for these circus clowns....
    I bet you could use a cool one huh Clark...Now you're talkin Eddie...

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    It is always easy to nitpick draft decisions with the benefit of hindsight. I would like to see how Speilman's drafts have compared against all the other GMs or draft decision makers. My honest guess is that he is in the top half.

Almost every team makes moves on draft day - some work out, but to be honest most don't. There are 254 people selected each draft, yet if we see 20 of them live up to their predictions, it is a very good year. Hell, that is only about 1/3 of the players selected in the first two rounds. That is a lot of room for failure, so looking at any one person in isolation will likely give you a negative impression of their scouting abilities.
    Agreed.
    The teams that are consistently successful in the draft are the teams that draft players that fit their system and then DEVELOPE those players. You need a staff that can teach their players. The Pukers are not drafting better players than us every year, they are developing the players they draft.
    (I think I just threw up a little in my mouth, praising the Pukers.)
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by marshallvike View Post
    Agreed.
    The teams that are consistently successful in the draft are the teams that draft players that fit their system and then DEVELOPE those players. You need a staff that can teach their players. The Pukers are not drafting better players than us every year, they are developing the players they draft.
    (I think I just threw up a little in my mouth, praising the Pukers.)
    That's the way I see it as well. Not so much the actual pick that determines a players eventual success as it is the organization that they get put into.

That being said, the mental makeup of the pick is probably as important as the physical which is much harder to evaluate. Good teams probably focus more on it.

Problem is a lot of times we sign players/FA's that play great in another system & then try & change them to fit ours. Players that play great in one system don't always play great in another, but our coaching staff seems to be oblivious to it.

Then there are players that play at a high level that they seldom use. Case in point: Kyle Rudolph. There were games were they did it with Harvin as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast