Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    I am going to go on record and say this regardless of what we end up doing in the draft, it will be heralded by some and lamented by others.

Actually, I think that there are so many acceptable options out there for us that I will likely be happy regardless. I am really excited for the draft this year.

Anyone else going to the draft party?
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

CPonderFan is offline Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by PackSux! View Post
    You sound like an old coach we used to have here. Run Run Run. Have you not realized that the league has made a dramatic shift to passing? I understand your point on Claiborne but it does not make sense to settle for a run blocker when our quarterback is getting killed game in and game out.

If the team goes your route and passes up on Kalil you and everyone else will see how big of a mistake it was to continue to let Ponder get his ass handed to him.

When has a coach said we are a run first team? Or are you just making shit up? I have not heard any coach on this team say we are a run first team this coming season.

Stay put and draft Kalil. We could always trade back up to grab kirkpatrick if he falls a bit, personally I would prefer a taller corner like Kirkpatrick over Claiborne.

I pray that somehow we land Kalil, Kirkpatrick and Hill for our first three picks.
    I just wonder how many of you guys understand defensive schemes and the checks and balances that have to be in place. Honestly we will be good drafting Kalil, Mo C or Blackmon. But heres my pitch...

Last season we lost 9 games by 7 pts or less. By adding another weapon or two on offense we instantly add a TD/game. I dont care how you slice it, the matchups will be there and DCs will have their hands full trying to figure out how to cover everyone. The impact of adding a True #1 WR makes us a possible playoff team instantly. DCs will be forced to cover our WRs, TEs and RBs. When we pass well, we will run well. Peterson could touch the ball 100 less times a season and get as many if not more yards. Defenses wont load the box or blitz as frequently. Kalil would make a huge difference on our OLine...but he wont give us 7pts/game difference. You need to be balanced. We have been so one sided for the last 5+ years its a wonder we have done as good as we have running the ball. Im surprised Adrians even alive.

I personally think Blackmon would be a mistake, trade out of the 3rd to a team that wants Kalil or Blackmon and drop down to get Floyd (MN Boy) or Hill in the first. In the 2nd round the best thing we could do for our defense would be to draft SF Barron if he is available. In a zone defense the SF is the play maker. Not the CB. We have good enough talent to get the job done.

One of my favorite coaches to watch during the draft if Bilichek. Dude gets the job done. Get value. Drop down, get extra pics, dig deep into the draft.
    None

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PackSux! View Post
    You sound like an old coach we used to have here. Run Run Run. Have you not realized that the league has made a dramatic shift to passing? I understand your point on Claiborne but it does not make sense to settle for a run blocker when our quarterback is getting killed game in and game out.

Why are you asking me if i realize it is a passing league? I understand that perfectly well. However, if you wipe the Kalil sputum away from your eyes for a second and actually look at our roster then it becomes pretty clear that what the league trend is means precisely dick because we are not using that template. IF we were building the team that way you might have a point but unless you can edjumicate me on how what Spielman and Co. are putting together fits anything close to a dramatic shift to passing I think what the league is doing is irrelevant.

If the team goes your route and passes up on Kalil you and everyone else will see how big of a mistake it was to continue to let Ponder get his ass handed to him.
    So what you are saying is every problem with the line was attributed to the LT and by adding one guy the rest of the unit will now be infallible? You are saying that putting Kalil on the line will now halt ponder from taking a hit even if he is as tentative as he was last year and even if he holds the ball too long? Kalil will be able to account for 8-9 man fronts on defense? Hell, if he can do that then draft him.

Yes, that was an exaggeration. I understand he won't fix the situation by himself just as my way wouldn't do it. But there are many ways to build a roster and while we may disagree neither of us are wrong. We just would go about it differently.

When has a coach said we are a run first team? Or are you just making shit up? I have not heard any coach on this team say we are a run first team this coming season.
    If you haven't heard Frazier and Spielman state repeatedly that they were building the team around peterson I suppose I could find a link. Do you think they have been focusing on signing FB's, TE's and run blocking OL because they are going away from the run?

Stay put and draft Kalil. We could always trade back up to grab kirkpatrick if he falls a bit, personally I would prefer a taller corner like Kirkpatrick over Claiborne.
    Trade back, get some extra picks and build a stronger, more talented team.

I pray that somehow we land Kalil, Kirkpatrick and Hill for our first three picks

I pray the team trades back and then makes some moves to get Decastro, Martin and Gilmore. Highly unlikely but a better trio.

CPonderFan is offline Rookie
    +1000
    None

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CPonderFan View Post
    Last season we lost 9 games by 7 pts or less.
    I see this kind of stat brought up every year by damn near every team.

It is actually a poor indicator of how close a team is because it is completely contextless, and stats without context are worthless. Many of those games, especially in the first half of the season, were free falls in the second half. We were in some games more because of other teams mistakes than anything special we did.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    So, you gotta figure we've got a target or two we're aiming at...IF we move down, who are we looking for? I'm guessing, maybe Reiff, but maybe, its the playmaker we've been talking about, but not Blackmon, maybe we're going for the local kid, Floyd. Better size and the same or better speed and he grew up in St. Paul, which will likely help them sell some jerseys.

Just for giggles, according the ye old chart, the Dolphins 8th pick is worth 800 less than our 3rd...in other words, their 2nd, 3rd and 4th this year, or perhaps, their 2nd this year and next. I'd do that in a fart beat and hope Floyd or Reiff is still there! Pretty good chance one of them is.

Chances are, we can't trade back. Then what? Do we go with who everybody else thinks we should take? Or does Spielman try to prove to the world how much smarter he is than everybody else and jump outside the big-three box [MK, MC, JB]...? When I started pondering who else he could go for there, Floyd seemed the only reasonable answer.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainviking View Post
    Just for giggles, according the ye old chart, the Dolphins 8th pick is worth 800 less than our 3rd...in other words, their 2nd, 3rd and 4th this year, or perhaps, their 2nd this year and next. I'd do that in a fart beat and hope Floyd or Reiff is still there! Pretty good chance one of them is.
    IDK how accurate that chart is with the new CBA. It was out of date before because of how high rookie contracts got. The new CBA addresses it a little bit, but not enough to make those numbers relevant again. I would say that Miami could realistically trade up for their 2nd and 3rd. Still, I would not be upset at all if we did this and managed to get Reiff.

Quote Originally Posted by mountainviking View Post
    Chances are, we can't trade back. Then what? Do we go with who everybody else thinks we should take? Or does Spielman try to prove to the world how much smarter he is than everybody else and jump outside the big-three box [MK, MC, JB]...? When I started pondering who else he could go for there, Floyd seemed the only reasonable answer.
    If we can't trade down we have to take Kalil or Blackmon. There is no other acceptable choice. If we take Floyd with the #3 pick, there will be a riot in the Metrodome.
    Zeus wrote:

=Z=

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    If we can't trade down we have to take Kalil or Blackmon. There is no other acceptable choice. If we take Floyd with the #3 pick, there will be a riot in the Metrodome.
    Claiborne.

His stock is rising every day.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post

If you haven't heard Frazier and Spielman state repeatedly that they were building the team around Peterson I suppose I could find a link. Do you think they have been focusing on signing FB's, TE's and run blocking OL because they are going away from the run?
    And the sooner Frazier & Spielman figure out it isn't working & this is a passing league, the sooner we might become contenders again.

They are going to go "all in" again on a RB that may not be even close to the form he was in previously before the devastating injury. Let's not forget how well their plan to build around AD last year.

By doing absolutely nothing to improve our passing game or at least the threat of it & state publicly that we're going to build around AD , we continue to show teams that we will continue to run the PVO. (Predictable Vanilla Offense)

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Blog Entries
    I am not arguing that it probably won't work, my only point is they are not building in the mold of the current trend so it is pointless to ask for moves that do fit the current trend.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast