Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by bleedpurple View Post
    there's no way any of those dudes get cut anytime soon.... They should still all be here for a long time... With the exception of Greenway.... He needs to restructure.. he's well over-paid... $10M for a LB that can't cover is entirely too much....

We shoulda let him walk for that price....
    They don't necessarily have to be cut.

JA, Harvin & Robison are FA in 2014. Winfield will also be gone that year. Kluwe's a FA also.

Ponder, K-Rud, K-Will & Longwell are FA's in 2015.

That's the 3 years out.

In 2016 many of the ones we draft this year will probably be FA's as well. So if we hit on any of them, we risk losing them to FA.

So not only do we have to fill the multiple holes we have, we have to draft players to replace the good ones we will lose to FA.

How many of them will want to remain on a losing team?

Rebuilding via the draft to sign players who will replace your aged ones is one thing. Trying to build a team by simply plugging several starting holes with unknown draft picks or mediocre FA's is another.

You do need to draft enough good FA's along the way to keep your team competitive.

3-13 is not competitive. Cutting good players or letting them walk in the wake of that season & then trying to replace those starters with FA's who few people have heard & were other teams castaways of or with players who haven't even played pro football isn't going to magically make you competitive again.

You need both a very solid draft & bring in some FA's that will help you stay in the hunt for the playoffs each year.
    Last edited by singersp; 04-02-2012 at 01:05 PM.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    They don't necessarily have to be cut.

JA, Harvin & Robison are FA in 2014. Winfield will also be gone that year. Kluwe's a FA also.

Ponder, K-Rud, K-Will & Longwell are FA's in 2015.

That's the 3 years out.

In 2016 many of the ones we draft this year will probably be FA's as well. So if we hit on any of them, we risk losing them to FA.

So not only do we have to fill the multiple holes we have, we have to draft players to replace the good ones we will lose to FA.

How many of them will want to remain on a losing team?

Rebuilding via the draft to sign players who will replace your aged ones is one thing. Trying to build a team by simply plugging several starting holes with unknown draft picks or mediocre FA's is another.

You do need to draft enough good FA's along the way to keep your team competitive.

3-13 is not competitive. Cutting good players or letting them walk in the wake of that season & then trying to replace those starters with FA's who few people have heard & were other teams castaways of or with players who haven't even played pro football isn't going to magically make you competitive again.

You need both a very solid draft & bring in some FA's that will help you stay in the hunt for the playoffs each year.
    your assuming we will loos all those guys to FA... as far as Allen, Harvin, and robison... there are things like tenders and franchise tags we can use on them.. A large reason I think we are not spending too much this FA period...

But I think we will be able to re-up a majority or our key players.. JA will be tricky bc he's getting up there in age.. but still doable..

Williams is in his 30's.. he may be gone.. Rudolph.. He will prob be re-upped or restricted FA.. so we'll keep most of these guys your talking about...

but there's always a risk guys walk.. no more than usual though...

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by bleedpurple View Post
    your assuming we will loos all those guys to FA... as far as Allen, Harvin, and robison... there are things like tenders and franchise tags we can use on them.. A large reason I think we are not spending too much this FA period...

But I think we will be able to re-up a majority or our key players.. JA will be tricky bc he's getting up there in age.. but still doable..

Williams is in his 30's.. he may be gone.. Rudolph.. He will prob be re-upped or restricted FA.. so we'll keep most of these guys your talking about...

but there's always a risk guys walk.. no more than usual though...
    Nope, I'm not assuming we'll lose them all, but whichever ones we lose, we need to replace.

The franchise tag can only be used on 1 player & not many of our guys are worth the tag. JA is one of the only ones I believe are worth the tag.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

PackSux! is offline Hall of Famer
    Kluwe is worth the tage.

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Nope, I'm not assuming we'll lose them all, but whichever ones we lose, we need to replace.

The franchise tag can only be used on 1 player & not many of our guys are worth the tag. JA is one of the only ones I believe are worth the tag.
    by the time his contract is up he may be in his 30's and not worth the tag... the NFL is a what have you done for me lately business.. if JA falls off , he won't get the tag... whenever his contract is up...

Dont forget the the tender tag... we can tender fA's and keep them off the market or get compensation.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123