Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    If Elite LT's are so low in demand & quality LT's even less in demand, how is it the best we could do at LT was signing Charlie Johnson?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    If Elite LT's are so low in demand & quality LT's even less in demand, how is it the best we could do at LT was signing Charlie Johnson?

Because we waited too long after we cut out elite LT to sign anyone else and the FO apparently didn't feel the position was so important as to have to go out and trade for one.

Remember the last can't miss LT we drafted to shore up the left side of the line? Just how well over his career did he actually lock that position up? I don't remember too many years where we were saying "Boy, glad we took that LT in the top 10 so we don't have to worry about our QB getting killed"Heck, that McKinney guy never gave up a sack in his career at Miami.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    I read it in the proper context, I'll explain it so an average rube like yourself can get it.

For years we've taken players that could play well man-to-man & tried to force them to play zone defense, which they played worse at.

Now, they may draft a DB that actually plays well at zone defense, but Frazier is indicating he'd like to play more man-to-man.
    That is where you are just not seeing the whole picture. Frazier is still going to run zone most of the time and Mo can do that just fine, but there will be times when he is going to want to run in man. Mo can do that better than any other CB in the draft.

It doesn't mean that Frazier is changing away from something that will be a players strong suit to his weak suit, it means they could finally get a player who can have the flexibility to perform at a high level no matter what they are running.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    Because we waited too long after we cut out elite LT to sign anyone else and the FO apparently didn't feel the position was so important as to have to go out and trade for one.

Remember the last can't miss LT we drafted to shore up the left side of the line? Just how well over his career did he actually lock that position up? I don't remember too many years where we were saying "Boy, glad we took that LT in the top 10 so we don't have to worry about our QB getting killed"Heck, that McKinney guy never gave up a sack in his career at Miami.
    Mac didn't lack talent. He lacked drive. He was too much party not enough business.
    I believe you just proved my point. He wasn't elite but he stayed on our team as a starter for almost 8 years. While Marcus Maculey and other corners we took in the 2nd round are long gone.

You are ignoring my points. It is seasier to find a fast little guy than a Big agile guy. Hence teams do not give up on Lts. The top corners in the league have changed teams.
    Asante Samuel a few years back, The kid from Oakland, Woodson etc. Top Lts don't.
    Joe Thomas? Long? Etc
    Last edited by kevoncox; 03-22-2012 at 06:46 PM.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    That is where you are just not seeing the whole picture. Frazier is still going to run zone most of the time and Mo can do that just fine, but there will be times when he is going to want to run in man. Mo can do that better than any other CB in the draft.

It doesn't mean that Frazier is changing away from something that will be a players strong suit to his weak suit, it means they could finally get a player who can have the flexibility to perform at a high level no matter what they are running.
    We won't need to worry out that. When our Offense stalls on the 17 yardline. The other team will just run it in.

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    Mac didn't lack talent. He lacked drive. He was too much party not enough business.
    I believe you just proved my point. He wasn't elite but he stayed on our team as a starter for almost 8 years. While Marcus Maculey and other corners we took in the 2nd round are long gone.

You are ignoring my points. It is seasier to find a fast little guy than a Big agile guy. Hence teams do not give up on Corners. The top corners in the league have changed teams.
    Asante Samuel a few years back, The kid from Oakland, Woodson etc. Top Lts don't.
    Joe Thomas? Long? Etc
    i agree.. plus we dont' need elite corners in the cover 2.. just decent ones... we gotta take the LT

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni
    If Spielman is a big enough idiot to actually draft Claiborne instead of Kalil in the third spot I will not spend a penny on any vikings gear next year. I will tell everyone in my family not to buy me anything Viking. I may not even watch Viking football next year if my beloved franchise is going to be run by an imbecile.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

Ranger is offline Coach
    Our team is so rough right now that no matter which of the top three guys we pick (Blackmon, Kalil, Claiborne), we'll be better off than we were before. I think they'll all be solid players. The money will be made in the later rounds, for the Vikes, which is where we usually fail.

PackSux! is offline Hall of Famer
    Claiborne had surgery! So it wouldnt suprise me to see the idiot spielman waste our pick on Claiborne.

Drafting Kalil is our best option and dont try to disagree because it is foolish and you know it.

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni
    I understand the average rubes desire to draft a top LT. Heck, I have been after the team to upgrade the OL myself for as long as anyone. But in this draft at this spot Claiborne is the best player for us to take. And he is the best defensive player on the board.

We had a historically bad secondary last season and the defense was limited by the team not having the talent to play man coverage when the offense we faced dictated we needed to. Frazier has also stated that they want to run less zone and more man defense this year. There is no player we can take in the draft that will be a better man coverage CB than Claiborne and there is no CB in FA that fits into our budget that can do what he will be able to do.

Yes, having an elite LT would be nice, but if you look at our division we really don't have any young, elite RDE's that even call for a player like Kalil to go against. The best RDE in the division is on our team and while Peppers is a great RDE he is getting up there in age as is Vanden Bosch. The packers RDE is probably the weak link on their line and between the Lions and Packers we will see more pressure from center to the right side of our line than center left.

However, looking at the division we face 3 elite QB's and 3 very good to elite WR groups with the addition of Marshall in Chicago. There is no way we can improve our team than to bring in an elite CB that can lock down a guy like Marshall or Johnson or Cobb/Nelson and make them irrelevant.

Giving the offense more turnovers and better field position will also help Ponder and the offense more than having an elite LT will. And Claiborne can also return punts which can give the offense better field position and limit the pressure defenses can apply which will help Ponder also.

So in the end i am strongly in favor of drafting Claiborne if we stay at 3. ( I would prefer us to trade back and get extra picks personally) I want a better LT but I am not convinced we cannot get a LT that can do the job unless we draft one in the top 3. I think Martin can be the answer and he may slip to the late 1st or early second.
    How does this sound to you?

Charlie Johnson Joe Berger John Sullivan Anthony Herera Phil Loadholt

Bet it sounds even worse to Ponder.

If Ryan Cook was still on the team, he would be our best lineman. Pretty sad state of affairs.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast