Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    seaniemck7 is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by 12purplepride28 View Post
    Ask Tom Brady. Although I do agree that WR needs to be up there.
    That is the answer to Singer's question. I am not saying you don't need a WR at all. I am saying you cannot build a football team around one, or 3 for that matter (ala Millen's Detroit), without a QB and the ability to protect him. While you are talking to Tom, feel free to ask Brees and Farve to join the conversation.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Tom Brady throughout his career had at minimum one decent option. Whether it be stallworth, branch, troy Brown, Moss, Welker.

All of those players (probably even today) are better than our second best option.

PackSux! is offline Hall of Famer
    LOL! And some people actually want us to draft him at number 3.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    1. We don't have Tom Brady now do we? We have Christian Ponder.

2. So if you don't believe a WR is one of the top 5 positions on the team, where do you believe the position ranks in importance?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Quote Originally Posted by bleedpurple View Post
    With all do respect... IN GENERAL.... While an elite receiver is always nice... With an elite QB, (which by the way we don't have), we wouldn't necessarily need an elite WR.. An above average one would be nice though... With an elite QB.. they can throw wide receivers open and make receivers better than they appear to be... A'La... wait for it.... Bret Favre.. When they were winning in his best years, he had Antonio Freeman and andre rison catching passes.. Brady aside from Moss has never had an elite receiver.... While I agree both the positions go hand in hand as a compliment... If we had an above average receiver, and an elite QB.. we wouldn't necessarily need the next Moss...

HOWEVER....

Since Spielman is our GM and Ponder, unfortunately, our QB... an elite WR prospect is necessary.... unfortunately....
    No one is talking about the necessity of an elite WR. We are talking about the WR being one of the top 5 key positions on a team.

Where do you rank the position of WR?

Quote Originally Posted by seaniemck7 View Post
    That is the answer to Singer's question. I am not saying you don't need a WR at all. I am saying you cannot build a football team around one, or 3 for that matter (ala Millen's Detroit), without a QB and the ability to protect him. While you are talking to Tom, feel free to ask Brees and Farve to join the conversation.
    No, what you are saying is the top 5 important key players on a team in your opinion are;

1. QB
    2. LT
    3. DE/CB (DE in C-2 type teams, CB in man-press type teams)
    4. CB/DE (Flop with #3 by type of D you play)
    5. CB

And apparently we are supposed to build our team around CB's in slots 3, 4 & 5 before even considering a WR, TE or RB.

Did you want me to ask Tom, Brees & Favre how lucky they were that their GM's built their teams around DE's & CB's before a WR?

While I'm at it do you want me to ask them how many SuperBowls they think they would have won if only they had Bernard Berrian, Troy Williamson, Devin Aromashodu & Greg Camarillo instead of Welker, Moss, Branch, Driver, Freeman, Sharpe, Lofton or Colston?

Exactly where after punter do you rank the need for solid WR's? TE'S? RB's?

BTW, CB's & DE's do not protect the QB.

Also to note: Christian Ponder needs to perform a hell of a lot better before he can even wash the jocks of Brady, Brees & Favre.

A QB, with all the time in the world, with the likes of Berrian or Williamson will gain you nothing.
    Last edited by singersp; 04-03-2012 at 07:34 PM.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    It's always better to protect the QB and have no players to score points and no defense to stop the opposition than it is to have players who acore points and players who prevent points from being scored. That is Rubeball 101.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PackSux! View Post
    LOL! And some people actually want us to draft him at number 3.

When Claiborne came out of high school, the schools that recruited him knew he had a learning disability. I donít know much about his disability other than it has to do with reading. Everyone I have talked to tells me that Claiborne has great character and is a great kid. He knows and understands his disability and uses all the resources that LSU has available to control it and to help him get by in the classroom. When it comes to football he puts in extra time to learn and understand his assignments and it is not a problem. Will he need reps? Probably, but no more than the usual rookie would need. In saying that, Claiborneís test score was NOT a true indicator of his intelligence. He can and does learn.

He has a reading disability but he works hard to improve himself and you go busting his balls for testing low. You are normally a pretty decent guy even if we don't agree on things but IMO it is being a asshole to bust on a guy because he has a disability. Anyway, if you pick players based on the Wunderlick have fun with it.

Blog Entries
    What you should know about Claiborne's test score | National Football Post

Claiborne is expected to be drafted in the top 5 of this monthís NFL Draft. What I suspect happened is a club drafting after 5 leaked the test score to try and scare off teams in the top 5 from drafting Claiborne. The clubs have known the results of these scores for weeks. If they had any questions about a player's ability to learn they have had plenty of time to do their research to feel if they are comfortable with drafting Claiborne. The team leaking the score is hoping that the public backlash for drafting a player with such a low score will scare them off. Unfortunately, this is dirty pool but it often happens this time of year in the NFL. Just remember, if you start to hear a lot of negative things about some highly rated players in the next few weeks, itís because a team who drafts later in the round wants the player to drop so they can have an opportunity to select him.

BBQ Platypus is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    It's always better to protect the QB and have no players to score points and no defense to stop the opposition than it is to have players who acore points and players who prevent points from being scored. That is Rubeball 101.
    I see you're still at it. Would it be pointless to remind you once again that literally no one is saying this? People who think drafting Kalil is a good idea are in no sense advocating the idea that we should completely ignore the skill positions. We have multiple picks this year and will have multiple picks next year. We will have plenty of opportunities to address our needs over the next few years.

You've been bludgeoning this board over the head with the blunt end of this strawman argument for months now. Sit down, take your meds, and talk about something else for a change, Floyd. You're making yourself look like an asshole.
    Last edited by BBQ Platypus; 04-03-2012 at 08:49 PM.

"This is my timey-wimey detector. It goes ding when there's stuff."

Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast