Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 182
  1. #101
    bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,949
    [QUOTE=Purple Floyd;1120481]We just gave our last franchise LT away.



    If we had a deep drop offense I would agree with you but we are running a short pass, 2 TE offense. Things develop faster and there are TE's and FB's galore to help out with the pass protection so a franchise LT is less important.A good one- yes.
    Doesn't matter... We have two tight ends to go run patterns A'La the Pats attack or the old vikes under Denny Green and Tice... Why would we draft a TE in the second round and sign another to a $25M contract just to block?? We need a LT to give Ponder time and keep him from getting his ass kicked like last year.. Furthermore, we have the best RB in the game.. But he gets hit behind the LOS more than any other back... We an upgrade at LT... Additionally, while we need a corner, We need safety help more..

    That is funny. If that is your metric it can also be said we don't need a franchise LT because we run a WCO and all they need to do is deflect the DE a bit until the QB gets rid of the ball, which should be in less than 3 seconds at most and often half that time.
    OH, like we did last year?? Charlie Johnson did a great job of that... (roll my eyes)

    the Eagles run a WCO and they have an elite LT (though he's out for the season and they are now freaking out... Ponder needs time...




    You see them on the market only because the teams cannot afford to pay what an elite CB can command so teams end up losing them. How many elite CB's leave from teams because the coaches didn't think they really wanted them and felt they would do better with a less talented replacement?
    NO you see them on the market bc they are not worth what they get paid many times unless your name is Revis.... You think the Eagles are regretting giving Nhamdi all that money last year?? many times teams money is tied up in LT and QB... that's why you see elite CB's on the market more than any other position... Teams know to lock up an elite LT... Name the last elite LT probowl caliber tackle to be on the market???? You can't because teams lock them up.... LT is probably the highest paid position next to QB.. why? because you want to protect your #1 investment on the team....

    Corner is important, but not as important than LT... But nice try though....

  2. #102
    seaniemck7's Avatar
    seaniemck7 is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    1,453
    I am with BP here. Try and find the last time a CB or any DB for that matter was drafted in the top 3. The closest in the last 10+ years is 5. Draft history shows what the market bears for positions come draft time, not who gets overpaid in Free Agency. IMO, team priorities by position rank is:
    1. QB
    2. LT
    3. DE/CB (DE in C-2 type teams, CB in man-press type teams)
    4. CB/DE (Flop with #3 by type of D you play)
    5. CB

    If you dont have a franchise players at those positions, you cannot pass one up when the opportunity presents it self.

  3. #103
    bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,949
    Quote Originally Posted by seaniemck7 View Post
    I am with BP here. Try and find the last time a CB or any DB for that matter was drafted in the top 3. The closest in the last 10+ years is 5. Draft history shows what the market bears for positions come draft time, not who gets overpaid in Free Agency. IMO, team priorities by position rank is:
    1. QB
    2. LT
    3. DE/CB (DE in C-2 type teams, CB in man-press type teams)
    4. CB/DE (Flop with #3 by type of D you play)
    5. CB

    If you dont have a franchise players at those positions, you cannot pass one up when the opportunity presents it self.
    I must disagree with our priorities... We need a WR and Linebackers who can cover more than a DE.. I we don't draft DE I'll be fine with that....

    1. LT
    2. WR
    3. S
    4. LB/CB
    5. CB/LB

    That's not to say draft in that order... I still am a firm believer in BPA...

  4. #104
    seaniemck7's Avatar
    seaniemck7 is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    1,453
    Quote Originally Posted by bleedpurple View Post
    I must disagree with our priorities... We need a WR and Linebackers who can cover more than a DE.. I we don't draft DE I'll be fine with that....

    1. LT
    2. WR
    3. S
    4. LB/CB
    5. CB/LB

    That's not to say draft in that order... I still am a firm believer in BPA...
    My apologies. I should have been more clear. Those rankings I posted are what you need to build a team period, not what the Vikes priorities should be. If we think Ponder is our franchise QB, which he should be taking him at 12 last year, then position #1 is filled. We therefore should be taking Kalil to fill position #2. JA fills slot #3. Cook being back and Winfield should be filling slots 4 and/or 5. Both will come in with some rust, but Winfield has the 5th highest salary on the team for 2012 right now.

    So again, I agree with you on what the Vikings priorities should be in the draft for the most part.

  5. #105
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,262
    Quote Originally Posted by seaniemck7 View Post
    My apologies. I should have been more clear. Those rankings I posted are what you need to build a team period, not what the Vikes priorities should be. If we think Ponder is our franchise QB, which he should be taking him at 12 last year, then position #1 is filled. We therefore should be taking Kalil to fill position #2. JA fills slot #3. Cook being back and Winfield should be filling slots 4 and/or 5. Both will come in with some rust, but Winfield has the 5th highest salary on the team for 2012 right now.

    So again, I agree with you on what the Vikings priorities should be in the draft for the most part.
    With that said, I still disagree with your list.

    How can a QB have success without a WR? You don't have a WR as a necessity in your to 5.

    Without a go to WR or a RB, what does the QB do with the ball?

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  6. #106
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,262
    Will Vikings blindside the draft at No. 3?

    Will Vikings blindside the draft at No. 3?

    McShay: "The most complete tackle I have evaluated in my time scouting prospects, Kalil has the athleticism to excel as a pass-blocker and the mean streak to be a force in the running game."

    Walter: "Kalil is the best non-quarterback in this class, and Minnesota has a major need at left tackle, where the pedestrian Charlie Johnson has sucked all year. The Vikings absolutely need to make sure Christian Ponder is well protected."

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  7. #107
    12purplepride28's Avatar
    12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    1,852
    Blog Entries
    1
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

  8. #108
    12purplepride28's Avatar
    12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    1,852
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post

    How can a QB have success without a WR? You don't have a WR as a necessity in your to 5.
    Ask Tom Brady. Although I do agree that WR needs to be up there.
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

  9. #109
    tastywaves's Avatar
    tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,862
    Quote Originally Posted by 12purplepride28 View Post
    A 4! What did he get right, his name, age, sex and college. I wonder if this guy can even read.

    Granted you don't need to be a genius to play db in the NFL and obviously it doesn't effect your draft position. Maybe it's time to use a different test.

  10. #110
    bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,949
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    With that said, I still disagree with your list.

    How can a QB have success without a WR? You don't have a WR as a necessity in your to 5.

    Without a go to WR or a RB, what does the QB do with the ball?
    With all do respect... IN GENERAL.... While an elite receiver is always nice... With an elite QB, (which by the way we don't have), we wouldn't necessarily need an elite WR.. An above average one would be nice though... With an elite QB.. they can throw wide receivers open and make receivers better than they appear to be... A'La... wait for it.... Bret Favre.. When they were winning in his best years, he had Antonio Freeman and andre rison catching passes.. Brady aside from Moss has never had an elite receiver.... While I agree both the positions go hand in hand as a compliment... If we had an above average receiver, and an elite QB.. we wouldn't necessarily need the next Moss...

    HOWEVER....

    Since Spielman is our GM and Ponder, unfortunately, our QB... an elite WR prospect is necessary.... unfortunately....

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •