Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Spielman likes Claborne over Kalil?

Bob Sansevere: Vikings GM Rick Spielman appears to like Mo Claborne over Matt Kalil

Bob Sansevere: Vikings GM Rick Spielman appears to like Mo Claborne over Matt Kalil - TwinCities.com

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Here's the flaw in his [Spielman's] thinking: The quarterbacks for the Packers and Giants are either all-pro (Aaron Rodgers) or all-pro caliber (Eli Manning). Teams with elite quarterbacks don't need an all-pro at left tackle. Teams with an inexperienced quarterback, like the Vikings, have a much better chance of success when surrounded by all-pro level players, particularly at left tackle.
    Either Spielman just doesn't get it or he believes Ponder is an elite, all-pro caliber QB, which explains the reach for him in the 1st a year ago.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Either Spielman just doesn't get it or he believes Ponder is an elite, all-pro caliber QB, which explains the reach for him in the 1st a year ago.
    Or he is trying to drum up interest in the third pick to see what kind of trade can be made. Or maybe not.

My initial thought when I heard this was "NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!" But thinking about this more, I can't see how this would be anything but smoke and mirrors.

We have needs at LT and CB, no question. Even though our CB position gets a little better on paper if Cook returns, he hasn't played football for most of last year. So I get the need.

However, IMHO there is a better chance of a good CB like Kirkpatrick slipping in to the late first round where we could potentially trade up to get him than there is a good LT. Then again, I make my living writing software, not managing football teams, so what do I know.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    Claiborne or Kahlil would be great additions to this team. Really can't go wrong with either.

I was somewhat happy to read this today but then I realized it was Spielman, who is a total moron. Doubt we get either player.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni
    Rick SpielMillen may not be too sharp.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mac D View Post
    Claiborne or Kahlil would be great additions to this team. Really can't go wrong with either.

I was somewhat happy to read this today but then I realized it was Spielman, who is a total moron. Doubt we get either player.
    lol.

I think I would be happy with either... but I think that Kalil addresses a bigger need. Now if Spielman could somehow pull off a trade for the #3 pick and still get Claborne as a result... I would be pretty impressed.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    He wanted to make the point that a left tackle doesn't have to be an all-pro or even well known for a team to be successful.
    Looks like Spielman and PF are seeing eye to eye again

I would prefer Kalil if we stay at #3, but wouldn't be disappointed with Claiborne. Blackmon I would put behind both of them, although he could end up being the most productive of the lot. Hard to say.

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries
    If this was true we would have been in for one of the LT's in free agency and we have not showed any interest, even though the market is pretty good for LT' right now.

Im sure we draft Kalil, but im not to down on the option of drafting Claiborne and signing an FA LT.

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    Claiborne can't hold a candle to last years top corner, Patrick Peterson(bigger, stronger, faster).
    Blackmon can't hold a candle to last years top WR, AJ Green(bigger stronger faster).
    Kalil is a true blue chip prospect, and the BPA at number 3.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcdon00 View Post
    Claiborne can't hold a candle to last years top corner, Patrick Peterson(bigger, stronger, faster).
    Blackmon can't hold a candle to last years top WR, AJ Green(bigger stronger faster).
    Kalil is a true blue chip prospect, and the BPA at number 3.
    While I agree with the overall sentiment of your post, I can't help but disagree with the finer points.

Claiborne is a better cover guy than Peterson is. He's not the same type of athlete or playmaker, but to say he doesn't hold a candle to him really isn't fair. There's a reason the guy is going to go top 5 in the draft. And AJ Green stronger than Blackmon? Have you seen AJ Green? The guy is one of the skinnier players in the league.

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast