Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    purplepat is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by tarkenton10 View Post
    Heres is tark's revised mock draft

Trade 35 and 128 to Patriots.
    Sign Mike Wallace and give Steelers pick #31.

66. Jerel Worthy - DT - MSU the warpig We need

98. Chase Minnifield - Db- Virg.

134. Alfonzo Dennard - DB Neb. ( he might no be here, some have him going much higher.)

175. Lance Lewis - WR - East Car.

210. Cliff Harris- DB -Ore. ( Had a first round grade a few months ago, off field issues, do we want to deal with them?)

223. Kelvin Beachum - OG - SMU (Big strong, size power) Picked a flyer
    First, you cannot do that trade and sign Wallace thing you want to do. You MUST give the Steelers your ORIGINAL 1st round pick...it cannot be a "traded for" pick...when signing an RFA. Now, you might do that trade with the Pats and offer to trade that pick to the Steelers for Wallace's rights...but you cannot sign Wallace to an RFA offer and simply force the Steelers to take that #31 pick.

2nd, getting Jerel Worthy at #66 is laughable. I've seen many mocks with him in the 1st round, almost certainly he does not make it out of the top of the 2nd.

3rd, three CBs? Seriously?
    SKOL VIKINGS!

Quote Originally Posted by skum View Post
    So i had to look at this draft that is only 2 weeks away(time travels fast)..

I made up a little game for myself in order to make this a realistic draft, so what i did - and i invite you to do the same - was to take the rankings from the CBSSports Draft site

NFL Draft - 2012 NFL Draft Prospects - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

I then took the Vikings 10 draft picks and made up the rule, if i was picking 3rd, i couldnt not pick players ranked higher than that with the 3rd pick.. in this case Luck and RGIII, so with 35, i can only pick players that were ranked 35 and down and so on..(hope you understand).

Here is what i came up with, im pretty happy with my draft

3 Matt Kalil, OT - USC
    - Im very much against trading down, we badly need a left tackle in order for Ponder to have any success

35 Harrison Smith, SS - Notre Dame
    - We also badly need a safety and Harrison Smith is one of the best there is, some will argue that this is kind of a reach, but im certain that he can start in this league - he has nice tackling skills and decent ball skills..

66 AJ Jenkins, WR - Illinois
    - Fast wideout with massive production at Illinois.

98 Chase Minnifield, CB - Virginia
    - Versatile defender, can play both man and zone and will end up making a quarterback pay for a bad throw taking it the other way.

128 TY Hilton, WR - Florida Int.
    - Playmaking slot reciever who can do all kinds of stuff, can drop back into the backfield and run the ball, run a reverse - reminds me of Percy and can fill in for him if Percy is on the sideline needing a breath..

134 Tank Carder, ILB - TCU
    - We need a backup at ILB and Carder fits the bill, pretty good in coverage and a guy you will see around the football on every play..

138 Tom Compton, OT - South Dakota
    - A guy for the future and a guy that hopefully can push Loadholt to raise his level of play at RT. Creating depth at the O-Line

175 Travis Lewis, OLB - Oklahoma
    - I have no idea why Travis Lewis ended up here, he is a very productive linebacker, has battled injuries and might be a bit undersized, but i think he will be okay in the NFL.

210 Neiko Thorpe, FS - Auburn
    - Coming out of the SEC, posseses the SEC speed and had a very good pro day, secondary depth

223 DeAngelo Tyson, DT - Georgia
    - Very good run stopper, played DE in a 3-4 scheme at Georgia, but should have no problem playing DT in the pro's.. Very solid player that gets the job done..

So i added help at the O-Line and in the secondary, along with 2 wideouts, 2 linebackers and a defensive tackle.. Tell me what you think about my draft and try and do the same..
    SKUM - EXCELLENT draft, not sure I could do any better (especially given your reasonable limitations about who you can and can't pick from the list).

Not sure that I wouldn't rather take LB Donta Hightower in the 2nd round and bypass Minnifield for FS Markelle Martin in the 4th, but that gives us no CBs. Would have to see what else the draft offered after #98 at CB (not much, I know). Also would rather have Sanu (who is listed at #60) over Jenkins, but that would involve trading up and I really suspect Sanu will go far earlier.

I might "re-do" this draft taking Claiborne at #3 and Massie at #35 and then see how the rest of the draft would play out for me.
    SKOL VIKINGS!

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman
    Quote Originally Posted by purplepat View Post
    First, you cannot do that trade and sign Wallace thing you want to do. You MUST give the Steelers your ORIGINAL 1st round pick...it cannot be a "traded for" pick...when signing an RFA. Now, you might do that trade with the Pats and offer to trade that pick to the Steelers for Wallace's rights...but you cannot sign Wallace to an RFA offer and simply force the Steelers to take that #31 pick.

2nd, getting Jerel Worthy at #66 is laughable. I've seen many mocks with him in the 1st round, almost certainly he does not make it out of the top of the 2nd.

3rd, three CBs? Seriously?
    Yeah ,Worthy will most likely be gone by then but if you look at his value and where they palce him in the top 150 he is close to 66. I think he will be gone by the top of the secvond round but that is not what was asked.

And yes I would take three CBs. Hopefully one will make it and if two do I would be crazy happy. We are in a pass happy league and we have crap for CBs if you haven't noticed so load up on the position of need. If we were close to a super bowl my strategy might be different but we aren't even sniffing the playoffs.

If the Steeleres don't take that then keep #35 and draft LaVonte David at OLB. He can play the will and has great speed and instincts. He can run with RBs and TEs and he can hit, he was a tacling amchine at Nebraska. And with 128 take Tommy Streeter.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

OK, here's my shot at a mock by Skum's rules. I know many will be distressed that I waited so long to get a WR, but here goes anyway...

1st rd, #3 - OT Matt Kalil, USC
    2nd rd, #35 - ILB Donta Hightower, ALA
    3rd rd, #66 - CB Brandon Boykin, GA
    4th rd, #98 - FS Markelle Martin, OK ST
    4th rd, #128 - CB Josh Norman, Coastal Carolina
    4th rd, #134 - WR T.Y. Hilton, FIU
    5th rd, #138 - OLB Tank Carder, TCU (projects as a SAM in a 4-3)
    6th rd, #175 - WR Dwight Jones, UNC
    7th rd, #210 - DT Akiem Hicks, Regina (Canada)
    7th rd, #223 - SS Sean Richardson, Vanderbilt
    SKOL VIKINGS!

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman
    Quote Originally Posted by purplepat View Post
    OK, here's my shot at a mock by Skum's rules. I know many will be distressed that I waited so long to get a WR, but here goes anyway...

1st rd, #3 - OT Matt Kalil, USC
    2nd rd, #35 - ILB Donta Hightower, ALA
    3rd rd, #66 - CB Brandon Boykin, GA
    4th rd, #98 - FS Markelle Martin, OK ST
    4th rd, #128 - CB Josh Norman, Coastal Carolina
    4th rd, #134 - WR T.Y. Hilton, FIU
    5th rd, #138 - OLB Tank Carder, TCU (projects as a SAM in a 4-3)
    6th rd, #175 - WR Dwight Jones, UNC
    7th rd, #210 - DT Akiem Hicks, Regina (Canada)
    7th rd, #223 - SS Sean Richardson, Vanderbilt
    I like your draft but I would rather have Chase Minnifield and Alfonzo Dennard then your two DBs. I think my two DBs have a better chance of working out. I would love to see Hightower there at 35 but I am not sure he will be, the steelers could use someone like him. The pats are a team that likes to pick players like him also.

I like Hilton but he is very small although he has great speed, I would not be upset to see us draft him though. Maybe someone like Streeter or Jenkins will fall to us.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Skum’s Mock Draft Rules!!

Looks pretty good Skum! Since I’m jonesing for the draft myself, I’ll play your game, but I wanna look at another option. My only question is whether I go Blackmon at 3, or trade back with Miami to 8 where I’d hope Floyd is available…I know we want more picks, and I still think Miami is the best spot for Tannehill, given their OCs history as the kid’s head coach the past 2 years. With Browns, Chiefs, Cards, and Chicken of the SEA supposedly looking at him, maybe if we give the Phins a bit of a deal, they’ll take the bait! Lets say, we swap firsts, 3 down to 8, for the Phin’s 2nd and the 3rd they got from da Bears. According to the value chart, we should get they’re earlier 3rd AND their 4th, so that is a deal, but we get to add talent now, this year instead of bargaining for next year’s picks.

Round (number) Position School Player
    1 (8) Michael Floyd WR Notre Dame Big, fast playmaker to stretch the field and open up the underneath routes so our TEs, RBs, and Harvin can make some plays AND eat some clock while steadily moving down field.

2 (35) Harrison Smith SS Notre Dame A solid tackler vs. the run with the size and speed to make plays vs. the pass as well. A bit of a reach perhaps, but the need is there, and I’ve recently been seeing the Pukers snag him at the end of the 1st! DOH!

2 (42) Kelechi Osemele OT Iowa State Mike Adams sounds like McKinnie with health issues and Massie has weight problems. The OL always gets overdrafted, so its likely we’re further down that list at this point than other positions yet our need is large (330+ lbs large!) This kid has the strength and size to dominate in the run game and the work ethic to develop his pass blocking potential.

3 (66) Jamell Flemming CB Oklahoma Boykin has better return skills, but is built a lil thinner and coming off injury already. I also like Iloka at Safety here, as I think our play there has been that bad, but in this version I’m going with the top DB available, a guy with a solid build, WR hands, and the range and sure-tackling to excel in a Zone system.

3 (79) Alameda Ta’amu DT Washington Finally, we replace Pat with a true WarPig, run stuffer to occupy the middle and open things up for the rest of our DL.

4 (98) Markell Martin (FS) Oklahoma State Good size, decent speed and was all over the field, always around the ball in the Senior Bowl. IMO, would be a GRReat pick here.

4 (128) Philip Blake C Baylor Big athletic Center with experience at RT who improves depth behind Sully and may push for time at Guard.

4 (134) Derek Wolfe DT/DE Cincinnati Big, versatile player with the frame (6’5” 295) to add strength as he develops in the NFL who likely provides some immediate rotational snaps on D and ST.

What do ya think of that PPO! I see 4 quite possibly 6 starters in year one due to our HOLEs and who I’m looking at drafting with those first 6 picks, and some good depth/competition behind that.

SKOL VIKINGS!!!!!!!!
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Quote Originally Posted by mountainviking View Post
    Skum’s Mock Draft Rules!!

Looks pretty good Skum! Since I’m jonesing for the draft myself, I’ll play your game, but I wanna look at another option. My only question is whether I go Blackmon at 3, or trade back with Miami to 8 where I’d hope Floyd is available…I know we want more picks, and I still think Miami is the best spot for Tannehill, given their OCs history as the kid’s head coach the past 2 years. With Browns, Chiefs, Cards, and Chicken of the SEA supposedly looking at him, maybe if we give the Phins a bit of a deal, they’ll take the bait! Lets say, we swap firsts, 3 down to 8, for the Phin’s 2nd and the 3rd they got from da Bears. According to the value chart, we should get they’re earlier 3rd AND their 4th, so that is a deal, but we get to add talent now, this year instead of bargaining for next year’s picks.

Round (number) Position School Player
    1 (8) Michael Floyd WR Notre Dame Big, fast playmaker to stretch the field and open up the underneath routes so our TEs, RBs, and Harvin can make some plays AND eat some clock while steadily moving down field.

2 (35) Harrison Smith SS Notre Dame A solid tackler vs. the run with the size and speed to make plays vs. the pass as well. A bit of a reach perhaps, but the need is there, and I’ve recently been seeing the Pukers snag him at the end of the 1st! DOH!

2 (42) Kelechi Osemele OT Iowa State Mike Adams sounds like McKinnie with health issues and Massie has weight problems. The OL always gets overdrafted, so its likely we’re further down that list at this point than other positions yet our need is large (330+ lbs large!) This kid has the strength and size to dominate in the run game and the work ethic to develop his pass blocking potential.

3 (66) Jamell Flemming CB Oklahoma Boykin has better return skills, but is built a lil thinner and coming off injury already. I also like Iloka at Safety here, as I think our play there has been that bad, but in this version I’m going with the top DB available, a guy with a solid build, WR hands, and the range and sure-tackling to excel in a Zone system.

3 (79) Alameda Ta’amu DT Washington Finally, we replace Pat with a true WarPig, run stuffer to occupy the middle and open things up for the rest of our DL.

4 (98) Markell Martin (FS) Oklahoma State Good size, decent speed and was all over the field, always around the ball in the Senior Bowl. IMO, would be a GRReat pick here.

4 (128) Philip Blake C Baylor Big athletic Center with experience at RT who improves depth behind Sully and may push for time at Guard.

4 (134) Derek Wolfe DT/DE Cincinnati Big, versatile player with the frame (6’5” 295) to add strength as he develops in the NFL who likely provides some immediate rotational snaps on D and ST.

What do ya think of that PPO! I see 4 quite possibly 6 starters in year one due to our HOLEs and who I’m looking at drafting with those first 6 picks, and some good depth/competition behind that.

SKOL VIKINGS!!!!!!!!
    I hate the Michael Floyd pick because I think he is going to be a bust

Harrison Smith will not go past the Patriots but if the Vikings draft him, I would be happy

I am okay with Kelechi

Love the Jamell Flemming pick

I do not see Alameda falling to the 3rd round but would be great value if he did

Markell Martin would be a great pick but I do not see him falling to the 4th round but would be a steal, it seems the Vikings seems to find diamonds in the rough in the 4th round

Philip Blake would be a good pick

Derek Wolfe would be okay

Nice draft except the Michael Floyd pick

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    So i had to look at this draft that is only 2 weeks away(time travels fast)..

I made up a little game for myself in order to make this a realistic draft, so what i did - and i invite you to do the same - was to take the rankings from the CBSSports Draft site

NFL Draft - 2012 NFL Draft Prospects - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

I then took the Vikings 10 draft picks and made up the rule, if i was picking 3rd, i couldnt not pick players ranked higher than that with the 3rd pick.. in this case Luck and RGIII, so with 35, i can only pick players that were ranked 35 and down and so on..(hope you understand).

Here is what i came up with, im pretty happy with my draft

3 Matt Kalil, OT - USC
    - Im very much against trading down, we badly need a left tackle in order for Ponder to have any success

35 Harrison Smith, SS - Notre Dame
    - We also badly need a safety and Harrison Smith is one of the best there is, some will argue that this is kind of a reach, but im certain that he can start in this league - he has nice tackling skills and decent ball skills..

66 AJ Jenkins, WR - Illinois
    - Fast wideout with massive production at Illinois.

98 Chase Minnifield, CB - Virginia
    - Versatile defender, can play both man and zone and will end up making a quarterback pay for a bad throw taking it the other way.

128 TY Hilton, WR - Florida Int.
    - Playmaking slot reciever who can do all kinds of stuff, can drop back into the backfield and run the ball, run a reverse - reminds me of Percy and can fill in for him if Percy is on the sideline needing a breath..

134 Tank Carder, ILB - TCU
    - We need a backup at ILB and Carder fits the bill, pretty good in coverage and a guy you will see around the football on every play..

138 Tom Compton, OT - South Dakota
    - A guy for the future and a guy that hopefully can push Loadholt to raise his level of play at RT. Creating depth at the O-Line

175 Travis Lewis, OLB - Oklahoma
    - I have no idea why Travis Lewis ended up here, he is a very productive linebacker, has battled injuries and might be a bit undersized, but i think he will be okay in the NFL.

210 Neiko Thorpe, FS - Auburn
    - Coming out of the SEC, posseses the SEC speed and had a very good pro day, secondary depth

223 DeAngelo Tyson, DT - Georgia
    - Very good run stopper, played DE in a 3-4 scheme at Georgia, but should have no problem playing DT in the pro's.. Very solid player that gets the job done..

So i added help at the O-Line and in the secondary, along with 2 wideouts, 2 linebackers and a defensive tackle.. Tell me what you think about my draft and try and do the same..
    I like it. Especially your first two picks. I went with the same in my 7 rounder and wound up taking Sanu with my third (Dallas took Jenkins with their 2-45 pick).

Didn't take a CB until the 7-210 pick. Again, they have burned alot of picks on that position over the last 3 or 4 years and brought in 2 "Decent" C2 vets to help out.

Besides, we all now that it doesn't matter what kindof CB's you have on the backend, if you don't have a warpig on the DL collapsing the pocket, the QB will just pick them apart.

Aside from that, I like it my friend. Sure wish you would do a full 7 rounder once so I could see how you take them off the board.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    I like it. Especially your first two picks. I went with the same in my 7 rounder and wound up taking Sanu with my third (Dallas took Jenkins with their 2-45 pick).

Didn't take a CB until the 7-210 pick. Again, they have burned alot of picks on that position over the last 3 or 4 years and brought in 2 "Decent" C2 vets to help out.

Besides, we all now that it doesn't matter what kindof CB's you have on the backend, if you don't have a warpig on the DL collapsing the pocket, the QB will just pick them apart.

Aside from that, I like it my friend. Sure wish you would do a full 7 rounder once so I could see how you take them off the board.
    I haven't even figured out my top 5 yet, let alone a full 7-rounder.. I can't do that..

But what i do is to look at pro days and the combine, get the top performers, look at their production in college and if there is some youtube game-video on them, i like to watch that..

If someone is ranked lower than i expect, i like to read analysis, i mainly use NFLDraftscout and ask around on twitter..

I will give my comments on every pick we make here on PPO over the weekend...

Right now it seems like New England could be in for Smith, so i won't be surprised if we moved up infront of them with our extra fourth to select him, we badly need a safety right now.. Remember Abdullah isnt signed back "yet".

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    I haven't even figured out my top 5 yet, let alone a full 7-rounder.. I can't do that..

But what i do is to look at pro days and the combine, get the top performers, look at their production in college and if there is some youtube game-video on them, i like to watch that..

If someone is ranked lower than i expect, i like to read analysis, i mainly use NFLDraftscout and ask around on twitter..

I will give my comments on every pick we make here on PPO over the weekend...
    I don't mess much with twitter, but for the top 3 and sometimes into the 4th round, when I'm not sure I go ahead and google the players name I'm considering and type visit in the google search.

I know alot of the visits are smoke screens, but I like to find out if the team is even showing interest in him before I plug him in and if so, are there other teams out there looking as well.

Right now it seems like New England could be in for Smith, so i won't be surprised if we moved up infront of them with our extra fourth to select him, we badly need a safety right now.. Remember Abdullah isnt signed back "yet".
    Having said the above, I can't/couldn't figure out if the Pats liked Stills more than they like Smith so they might take Smith over Stills. For this mock I went with Stills because of the need at NT that was so obvious over last season and maybe, just maybe, the Pats will think its a reach to take Smith that high.....

Harrison Smith Might Be Patriots' Backup Plan If They Miss Mark Barron in Draft - New England Patriots - NESN.com

As to the decision on Smith to the Vikes.......I like what Charlie had to say about him.....

Charley Walters: Notre Dame's Harrison Smith fits Vikings' needs - TwinCities.com
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12