Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Seller's market for tight ends

Chicago Bears: Bears need help at tight end - chicagotribune.com

They better get Shanc a deal this year. Drafting one is out of the question.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Johnson14 is offline Hall of Famer
    Shianc has not done anything the past 2 years to warrant any kind of big money deal, if he is willing to get an "ok" deal here then cool, but if he wants paying then no thanks. Glimpses I've seen of Rudolph I have been impressed with, his size and hands, kid looks a player.

PackSux! is offline Hall of Famer
    Shank is on the decline and even if he was a Viking next season I see his production go down a ton since Rudolph will see alot more playing time and he has better hands than shank. Save the money for another player is what I say.

Quote Originally Posted by PackSux! View Post
    Shank is on the decline and even if he was a Viking next season I see his production go down a ton since Rudolph will see alot more playing time and he has better hands than shank. Save the money for another player is what I say.
    Not sure I agree in total my friend, especially if ole Musgrove continues to run 2 and 3 TE sets, you have to have more than just Rudy.

Can't get an instant fix in this draft class and FA looks pretty slim. Leaves you with Shanc. Of course that doesn't mean you give top dollar though.

Besides, I'm not so sure that Shanc was used as much in the passing game as he was in the blocking game last year, much like we saw his first year on the team.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Johnson14 View Post
    Shianc has not done anything the past 2 years to warrant any kind of big money deal, if he is willing to get an "ok" deal here then cool, but if he wants paying then no thanks. Glimpses I've seen of Rudolph I have been impressed with, his size and hands, kid looks a player.
    Thats the point though isn't it. We only saw glimpses of Rudy as well? Why? It isn't like Musgrove was working them that hard other than the number of times they ran onto the field.

Again, based on our need, a crappy draft class and not much out there in the way of FA that we can afford, I think we see Shanc back and a bit more productive.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    I think we should try and get shank back at market value, which shouldn't break the bank.

I expect Rudolph will have a lot more involvement this year and could takeover as the primary TE target for Ponder, but having Shank on the roster with him for another year or two is probably money well spent.

FuadFan is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    Not sure I agree in total my friend, especially if ole Musgrove continues to run 2 and 3 TE sets, you have to have more than just Rudy.

Can't get an instant fix in this draft class and FA looks pretty slim. Leaves you with Shanc. Of course that doesn't mean you give top dollar though.

Besides, I'm not so sure that Shanc was used as much in the passing game as he was in the blocking game last year, much like we saw his first year on the team.
    Personally Marrdro I'd rather go after the Bears TE Kellen Davis over Shiancoe. He is a big younger guy that I believe has potential that he didn't get to use due to Martz and his antiquated idea that you can't have a TE as a weapon in the offense.

Now I'm not sure if he would be cheap to get but that would be what would make more sense with our rebuilding team.
    Minnesota Vikings : Simply the best

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    Just promote Allen Reisner and roll with him and Rudy
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    Thats the point though isn't it. We only saw glimpses of Rudy as well? Why? It isn't like Musgrove was working them that hard other than the number of times they ran onto the field.

Again, based on our need, a crappy draft class and not much out there in the way of FA that we can afford, I think we see Shanc back and a bit more productive.
    Problem is Shank sees himself as one of the leaders of the team. He's not going to accept a pay cut, certainly not making less than Rudolph does. Shank will want money, and he'll get it because teams will be needing an athletic TE who can catch the ball. Shank has skills, but we haven't shown the ability to get him the ball. Yeah, he's very helpful in the blocking game, but he'll go somewhere that will use him as a receiver.

Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    Problem is Shank sees himself as one of the leaders of the team. He's not going to accept a pay cut, certainly not making less than Rudolph does. Shank will want money, and he'll get it because teams will be needing an athletic TE who can catch the ball. Shank has skills, but we haven't shown the ability to get him the ball. Yeah, he's very helpful in the blocking game, but he'll go somewhere that will use him as a receiver.
    I'm not so sure we can say what Shanc will or won't do.

I think it is safe to say that any inline TE that has even marginal skills, will get over paid this year.

Because of that, I think its safe to say that Shanc might not be back. Not because of his attitude, but because of what he will make and that is probably more than we can pay this year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast