Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 130
  1. #41
    iowa is offline Rookie
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Spirit Lake, Iowa
    Posts
    103
    Just lookin' at Walt's pro day results, he has Childs at 4.39 with a 40.5 vertical 10 1/8" hands and a 10'7" broad jump, all around most impressive stats on the board.In comparison Randle had a 31" vertical and 9 1/2" hands.I realize that doesn't make him an instant pro bowler but those are some good qualities in a wideout!
    None

  2. #42
    Ranger's Avatar
    Ranger is offline Coach
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,080
    Quote Originally Posted by CPonderFan View Post
    Childs ran a 4.41 40. Either way not bad for a nig receiver. If that knee holds up we may have a diamond in the rough
    Well, I guess Freud was right.

  3. #43
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,266
    Quote Originally Posted by bleedpurple View Post
    first we have less than 13 picks... and if you take out the FB and K we drafted it looks much different.. but we didn't do that... instead we waited drafted a corner in the 3rd that probably wont start, 2 receivers in the 4th (teamates at that), sandwiched a freakin FB in the 4th round and then went ahead and drafted a freakin kicker and waited a very long time to select a LB...

    so the only picks that look promising are the first 2 or 3.. everything else is a crap shoot...
    We had 13 picks. We just used 3 of them in trade. 1 was used towards Smith & 2 were traded for picks next year.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  4. #44
    tarkenton10's Avatar
    tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,200
    Quote Originally Posted by bleedpurple View Post
    yep... a guy ranked about 20th best at his position... granted coming off a knee injury... If he was a second round talent he would have gone in the 2nd or 3rd latest... not the back of the 4th... and the 3rd option on his own team... with a whopping what?

    21 catches for 240 yards and 0 TD's last year... yeah, he's a real burner similar to Steven HIll (rolls eyes)...
    Roll your eyes all you want but he has the same measurables as Hill. Other than the forty he has better measurables you can believe it or not. Do a little research if you are skeptical and don't trust my stats. And how isn't a 4.39 similar to Hill at 4.36?

    He came back and was still not 100% this year, the coaches saw him limping in practice. He wanted to get back into the games, you can't blame him for that. Hill is a one trick pony so far, he has as many question marks as Childs. He only caught 49 passes and WAS THE ONLY WR IN THE GAME FOR GT. He only can run a nine route basically and will take a long time to learn the pro game coming from an option attack. Believe what you want but Childs has as good a chance to succeed in the pros as Hill, maybe even better, at least he comes from a pro style offense and knows the route tree.

    There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

  5. #45
    tarkenton10's Avatar
    tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,200
    Quote Originally Posted by CPonderFan View Post
    The only thing I learned while reading this thread was that there are ALOT of morons on here! I mean everyone is allowed their opinion, but seriously most of you know absolutely nothing about running a football team. Most of the analysist that have handed out grades gave MN a B or better. I think that if everyone in the NFL ran their teams as narrow minded as most of you then players like Tom brady would never emerge! Seriously the coaching staff has done more research on all the players than you guys could put together in a year. The only picks that really made me question what we were doing is the pick of the TE and the Kicker. But after watching some game film i see the TE is a replacement for Kleinsasser. But even more of a beast. He will be a very nice addition. As far as the kicker goes...how long do you expect Longwell to play football?? dude has a subpar leg the way it is. If this kid comes in and gets a ton of TBs then he is worth every damn penny. If he can kick long FGs then he will be considered one of the steals in the draft! STs is one third of your team, with the Vikings rebuilding STs is probably more like 40-50% of your team!

    WRs - Childs has the ability to become a very nice #2. Way better than Jenkins. Wright is going to participate on STs and Slot when Harvin is out. Seriously this is a great pick, it extends Harvins shelf life and if Harvin, who has been injured quite a bit, goes down our offense dowsnt miss a beat (ok but less of a beat).

    My biggest knock on our draft...I wanted to see us use a 4th to get a LB. I think we could have used a LB more than a kicker, but most probably werent graded higher than the kicker so thats why they went kicker.

    Give these guys a couple of drafts. Dont shitebag them for every little thing. We have alot of holes and they did a great job and we have 2 more picks for next season already! You build a championship team through the draft. The great teasm dont spend money on FAs they draft college players and turn them into NFL players.
    You might be peasantly surprised by Cole. He was a tackling machine at NCST and a beast. He reminds me of Ben Leber and could be solid for us. Another lb that may have problems in coverage though. I like the pick and I hope he makes the 53 man roster. Both picks in the seventh round are great picks. They both have potential to rotate in in their respective positions. You can't expect much more than that from a seventh round pick.

    There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

  6. #46
    smegmavike is online now Coordinator
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    884
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    We had 13 picks. We just used 3 of them in trade. 1 was used towards Smith & 2 were traded for picks next year.
    Saving two picks for next year is a good move. Using your early third round pick to move up was the biggest error this year.
    Spielman has a tendency to waste a high pick to move up sometimes.
    That pick should have been another player worthy of starting.

    I'm ok with the draft in general, and was happy we drafted Smith. It's too bad we couldn't have traded a number of later picks to move up.

    Despite that, I think this draft improved the team.

  7. #47
    bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,949
    Quote Originally Posted by vikinggreg View Post
    I think he's that Klingon linebacker, its a future time rip pick for the Vikings when they have relocated to the planet Vulcan after LA falls into the Pacific
    Quote Originally Posted by CPonderFan View Post
    Blair Walsh Highlights:

    Blair Walsh 2012 NFL Draft - YouTube
    AGAIN, Highlights..... it's supposed to make the kid look good.... bottom line he was 21 of 35 last year and about 50% FG beyond 30 yards...

    Kicking the ball into the end zone esp. now that' its five yards closer doesn't make him a quality 6th round pick.. esp. if he can't hit a FG to save his life...

    Jarious may be a burner... but he's a harvin Clone... slot WR... we have harvin already on the roster...

    People are salty about the draft bc any leeway or credit we wanna give Spielman especially after the last 2 drafts shits the bed when you look at what they did... Reach for players (a'la Ponder) based on need... not talent.. when you are 11-5 or 10-6 it may be excusable... not 3-13 with more holes to fill than a sinking ship... (no pun intended)....

    I don't doubt the draft was a decent draft... but aside from the no-brainer pick in Kalil, the draft was very average... with the 3rd overall pick we needed to knock the ball outta the park... we didn't do that.... with an average draft, on a 3-13 team.. your looking at marginal improvement... the coaching we have takes marginal to below marginal....

    So yes, a lot of these guys are talented, but I think Spielman out smarts himself by overthinking shit all the time... hence taking a shitty kicker in the 6th round and a FB in the 4th... when arguably we needed a LB more than either position... and not taking a receiver until the late 4th round was a mistake IMO... when the only guy other than Harvin we have is a washed up former first round bust coming off an ACL tear and a pot head WR on a 1 year contract who's gonna miss the first 3 games...

    So maybe just maybe, you need to give some of the fans on here a little more credit.... (i said some)...

    And analysts giving draft grades out a day after the draft doesnt' mean shit!!.. especially bc they are ANALYSTS... I'd be more inclined to take the word of Bill Polian over a todd mcshay and mel kiper... talking head hacks who are jokes inside real football war rooms...

    That's all....

  8. #48
    bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,949
    Quote Originally Posted by vikinggreg View Post
    I think he's that Klingon linebacker, its a future time rip pick for the Vikings when they have relocated to the planet Vulcan after LA falls into the Pacific
    Quote Originally Posted by tarkenton10 View Post
    Roll your eyes all you want but he has the same measurables as Hill. Other than the forty he has better measurables you can believe it or not. Do a little research if you are skeptical and don't trust my stats. And how isn't a 4.39 similar to Hill at 4.36?

    He came back and was still not 100% this year, the coaches saw him limping in practice. He wanted to get back into the games, you can't blame him for that. Hill is a one trick pony so far, he has as many question marks as Childs. He only caught 49 passes and WAS THE ONLY WR IN THE GAME FOR GT. He only can run a nine route basically and will take a long time to learn the pro game coming from an option attack. Believe what you want but Childs has as good a chance to succeed in the pros as Hill, maybe even better, at least he comes from a pro style offense and knows the route tree.
    Look at his stats from his senior season.... yep he was banged up.. but he didn't do shit last year... Yes, he has similar measurable to Hill... SO WHAT??

    doens't make him the same football player does it?... there is a reason one went in the 2nd and another in the 4th... Lemme ask yu who would you rather have??

    GT runs an option offense... maybe he only runs a certain routes, but so did Demarrious Thomas from Denver come from the same offense, he went in the first round and is a pretty good prospect to this point.... So gain... the underwear olympics don't mean anything...I hope Childs succeeds... he very well could... It's better or our team if he does...

    But this is the Vikings we are talking about... the Vikings... I'm not gonna hold my breath is all I'm saying..!

  9. #49
    tarkenton10's Avatar
    tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,200
    Quote Originally Posted by bleedpurple View Post
    AGAIN, Highlights..... it's supposed to make the kid look good.... bottom line he was 21 of 35 last year and about 50% FG beyond 30 yards...

    Kicking the ball into the end zone esp. now that' its five yards closer doesn't make him a quality 6th round pick.. esp. if he can't hit a FG to save his life...

    Jarious may be a burner... but he's a harvin Clone... slot WR... we have harvin already on the roster...

    People are salty about the draft bc any leeway or credit we wanna give Spielman especially after the last 2 drafts shits the bed when you look at what they did... Reach for players (a'la Ponder) based on need... not talent.. when you are 11-5 or 10-6 it may be excusable... not 3-13 with more holes to fill than a sinking ship... (no pun intended)....

    I don't doubt the draft was a decent draft... but aside from the no-brainer pick in Kalil, the draft was very average... with the 3rd overall pick we needed to knock the ball outta the park... we didn't do that.... with an average draft, on a 3-13 team.. your looking at marginal improvement... the coaching we have takes marginal to below marginal....

    So yes, a lot of these guys are talented, but I think Spielman out smarts himself by overthinking shit all the time... hence taking a shitty kicker in the 6th round and a FB in the 4th... when arguably we needed a LB more than either position... and not taking a receiver until the late 4th round was a mistake IMO... when the only guy other than Harvin we have is a washed up former first round bust coming off an ACL tear and a pot head WR on a 1 year contract who's gonna miss the first 3 games...

    So maybe just maybe, you need to give some of the fans on here a little more credit.... (i said some)...

    And analysts giving draft grades out a day after the draft doesnt' mean shit!!.. especially bc they are ANALYSTS... I'd be more inclined to take the word of Bill Polian over a todd mcshay and mel kiper... talking head hacks who are jokes inside real football war rooms...

    That's all....
    So Mel Kiper and Todd McShay are hacks bu twe are supposed to use your evaluation for our draft, good thinking. Using your logic all on here ar ehacks and aren't even worthy of being able to decide on players so why don't you use a little of your own advice and see what this draft brings, after all we won't know for a couple of years. If we can't count on Kiper or McShay we sure as heck can't count on your expertise.

    There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

  10. #50
    tarkenton10's Avatar
    tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,200
    Quote Originally Posted by bleedpurple View Post
    Look at his stats from his senior season.... yep he was banged up.. but he didn't do shit last year... Yes, he has similar measurable to Hill... SO WHAT??

    doens't make him the same football player does it?... there is a reason one went in the 2nd and another in the 4th... Lemme ask yu who would you rather have??

    GT runs an option offense... maybe he only runs a certain routes, but so did Demarrious Thomas from Denver come from the same offense, he went in the first round and is a pretty good prospect to this point.... So gain... the underwear olympics don't mean anything...I hope Childs succeeds... he very well could... It's better or our team if he does...

    But this is the Vikings we are talking about... the Vikings... I'm not gonna hold my breath is all I'm saying..!

    And all I'm saying is that Hill was projected in the third to fourth round before the combine. So his combine is all about the measurables and Childs had he not had the injury had a second round grade. They flipped flopped based on an injury, yeah you get injured your status falls but I think if he comes back fully healthy is will be a better receiver than Hill. Childs is a more polished receiver who can run crisp routes and get open. We have no film on Hill whether or not he can get open, how well he runs the different routes on the route tree. I think there are way more questions about Hill than Childs.

    There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •