Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by skum View Post
    That is proberly the plan, i just don't think its a good idea to keep 2 Kickers on the roster, If Walsh can find his consistancy he will be great, he was the best kicker in college two years ago.. he was very good, Georgia relied on him to make big time field goals and won games because of it.. Thats why it was even more disappointing to see him struggle so bad last season.

If we can get Walsh in to being a full-time kicker, we can also say goodbye to Longwell who also holds a pretty big contract (for a kicker that is).
    Interesting article from Scout that doesn't paint this kid as bad as some on here do.

Scout.com: Draft in-depth: Kicker Blair Walsh
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by 12purplepride28 View Post
    I was really disappointed in the final round. It seemed like we were taking picks that don't really have much superstar potential. I'd much rather take someone like Burfict and Dennard, guys that have amazing potential and are low risk/very high reward players. Better than taking someone like Ross Homan who's just out of the league in a year. If they don't work out, then whatever. But if they do, the rewards can be amazing.

I am infuriated we didn't take Dennard actually. But if he had to go to another team, I'm glad it was the Patriots.
    Well, maybe not immediate superstar potential, but how many superstars are actually drafted that late in the draft?

Nice breakdown of each pick, but specifically to the 7th round...

SEVENTH ROUND (210TH OVERALL)

AUDIE COLE

Linebacker North Carolina State 6-4, 246

Able to play either on the strong side or in the middle. Played through thumb and wrist injuries without missing time. Moved inside from the strong side as a senior and led the Wolfpack with 108 tackles in 2011 with 13 1/2 tackles for loss and five sacks. Intelligent, quick off the ball and with some pass-rush ability, but he can be beat to the outside.
    The quote: "He can probably play all three [linebacking] positions." -- Spielman.
    SEVENTH ROUND (219TH OVERALL)

TREVOR GUYTON

Defensive lineman California 6-2 1/2, 285

Started all 13 games as senior -- one at nose guard, three at defensive end -- and had 46 tackles, 12 tackles for loss and 5 1/2 sacks with two forced fumbles. Stout and thick, he plays with leverage and can create a good push. Good with his hands. Strong tackler. Is raw as a pass rush and needs to get better at shedding blocks.
    The quote: "He can play the 3 technique, he can also play some left defensive end and was used as a nickel rusher over the nose." -- Spielman.
    Vikings' draft class: Notes and quotes | StarTribune.com

The more I look at this draft class, the more I like how it fits together with what appears to be the plan to get the ball rolling on the roster again.

Again, maybe not instant stars but I bet both of them get reps this year and both should provide instant help on ST's.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    Interesting article from Scout that doesn't paint this kid as bad as some on here do.

Scout.com: Draft in-depth: Kicker Blair Walsh
    A few years ago he was good. Last year he tanked.

I guess we drafted The Blair Walsh Project.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    A few years ago he was good. Last year he tanked.

I guess we drafted The Blair Walsh Project.
    You still haven't provided what ole Shortwell did in college my friend. Gimme those stats that have him even a little better than Walsh and I will relent.

Until then I like what the kid brings......

a. A hell of a leg that will kick TB's.
    b. A hell of a leg that can make 10 out of 17 outside the 50 with a few of them coming outside the 60.
    c. A kid that will tackle on ST's, if a team does return one of his kicks.

Does that mean he is ready for the HOF? Nope, but what it means is that, right along with the QB, WR, and DB positions, we have a kid that will eventually learn his craft.

Again, why wait to develop that kid? Let him get the bugs out while all the other players are doing the same especially considering the Owners aren't putting out the amount of money they would need to put a HOF'r on the the field at every position like you want.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    You still haven't provided what ole Shortwell did in college my friend. Gimme those stats that have him even a little better than Walsh and I will relent.

b. A hell of a leg that can make 10 out of 17 outside the 50 with a few of them coming outside the 60.

Does that mean he is ready for the HOF? Nope, but what it means is that, right along with the QB, WR, and DB positions, we have a kid that will eventually learn his craft.

Again, why wait to develop that kid? Let him get the bugs out while all the other players are doing the same especially considering the Owners aren't putting out the amount of money they would need to put a HOF'r on the the field at every position like you want.
    Yes I did give you the stats. Perhaps you need to revisit the thread that I responded to you with it.

He was 69% in college.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni

I actually don't have a problem with our War Room picking the guys they want. If the Blair Walsh Project kicks the ball out the back of the end zone most of the time, and makes the necessary field goals, he will be an upgrade. If not, he won't, and, we missed on a 6th Round Pick, a bet I might make too.

Re: the Owners not putting the amount of money into the Team...not buying that at all. Remember, the new CBA won't allow any Owner to underinvest. All Teams need to spend at least X% of the cap.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

hogfan is offline Waterboy
    Quote Originally Posted by skum View Post

Then it started getting a little bit wrong for me, the two Arkansas wideouts were not really the kind of wideouts i was thinking we should select, i would rather have selected someone who was projected to play the outside WR-Spot.
    Childs is an outside receiver. He never played slot receiver at Arkansas. After saying the Arkansas receivers played in a dink and dunk offense and Childs wasn't an outside receiver, it makes me wonder if you even did real research on them.

Ranger is offline Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by hogfan View Post
    Childs is an outside receiver. He never played slot receiver at Arkansas. After saying the Arkansas receivers played in a dink and dunk offense and Childs wasn't an outside receiver, it makes me wonder if you even did real research on them.
    Are you trying to tell us that a six three receiver didn't play dink-dunk slot for a quarterback with the strongest arm seen in recent years?!

smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    Well, maybe not immediate superstar potential, but how many superstars are actually drafted that late in the draft?

Nice breakdown of each pick, but specifically to the 7th round...

Vikings' draft class: Notes and quotes | StarTribune.com

The more I look at this draft class, the more I like how it fits together with what appears to be the plan to get the ball rolling on the roster again.

Again, maybe not instant stars but I bet both of them get reps this year and both should provide instant help on ST's.
    Those two are depth picks.
    We are kind of stuck with certain assumptions we can do little to change this year.
    We assume Guion can step up and provide what we need with help from Ballard.
    I suspect the Vikings will have trouble stopping the run and will end up having to draft a 0 or 3 technique DT next year. Bush will give the Vikings fits unless Brinkley can stop him.

We assume Brinkley can cover the deep middle in the cover two. I suspect that is just not likeley to happen and we will be in nickel during obvious passing plays. Look for us to consider drafting a stud 3 down middle LB next year.

We assume one of these marginal free agent receivers will breakout and become a legitimate threat this year. More likely one or two of the drafted WR will step up.

We assume many players who were injured last year will get healthy and play well this year.

A lot more assumptions exist and add up to a team that will be young and struggling to find itself, yet should show signs of improvement and hope.

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hogfan View Post
    My issues is with Greg Childs issues with his knee, most scouting reports say he has lost some speed and won't be able to get behind defenders and be a field stretcher and i guess Wright is a replacement for Harvin when he is not on the field, with Percy and now Simpson the slot reciever spot wasnt a need that needed to be covered..

However on Greg Childs, been reading some more and getting more behind this pick after also looking at was what availible instead i think it was a pretty good pick and i hope they both do well.

So i did not say the Arkansas offense was a dink and dunk offense, im saying that it could be what we are trying to build here and i am not happy about that..

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast