Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
    Ranger is offline Coach
    haha, are you kidding me? Tobe is far better than anything Detroit has. He's better than anybody in Green Bay, Cincy, San Diego, Miami, Arizona, Indy, New England, Washington, Denver...maybe a few other teams. If he had come out in this year's draft, he'd have been snatched up.

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    haha, are you kidding me? Tobe is far better than anything Detroit has. He's better than anybody in Green Bay, Cincy, San Diego, Miami, Arizona, Indy, New England, Washington, Denver...maybe a few other teams. If he had come out in this year's draft, he'd have been snatched up.
    Obviously he would've been drafted. And the rest of your post is mostly wrong. He's not better than Beanie Wells or Ryan Mathews. He may start on Cincy but it's a tossup. He'd start on GB, IND, maybe WAS, and split time in NE. He's not better than McGahee in DEN, Wells or Mathews in ARI and SD, and he's definitely not better than Reggie Bush in MIA.

Go look up Javhid Best highlights and then Toby Gerhart highlights and tell me Toby is better.
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by midgensa View Post
    Jesus ... all this talk about Toby is crazy.

Marrdro is doing his usual thing here. Sticking his foot in his mouth and then talking all sorts of goofiness to get out of it. Toby is so noticeably slower than AD that it has to be one of the most ridiculous things claimed on this site ... EVER. I do agree that Toby is better than many give credit though ... and do believe he can be an effective RB in this league, but to act like he would start all over the league is ridiculous.

Places he NO QUESTION would ride the pine in: Philadelphia, Minnesota, Chicago, Atlanta, Carolina, New Orleans, San Francisco, St. Louis, Seattle, Buffalo, Cleveland, Pittsburgh (with health Mendenhall), Baltimore, Tennessee, Houston, Jacksonville,

Places he would at best share SOME carries, but likely be the second choice: Dallas, N.Y. Giants, Detroit, Tampa Bay, Arizona, Miami, N.Y. Jets, Kansas City, Oakland, San Diego,

Places he would MAYBE have a shot at starting: Green Bay, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh (with Mendenahll injury worse than though), Denver

Places he would have a shot at starting: Washington, New England, Indianapolis

That is probably a generous list too. C'mon Marr ... you are really off your rocker on this one. There are maybe six or seven teams in the entire league where Toby would have an expanded role compared to what he has in Minnesota.

Does not change the fact that I am happy with him in his role, but acting like he could be a feature back all over the league and he is held back by being behind AD is just wrong.

EDIT: Also Marr, while we are at it here ... since we have so many solid starters, so many starter worthy backups ... and such good coaches that know what they are doing ... why the fuck are we only winning 3 games? Is it because of the fans? Seriously? The only players on the team you bag on are the good ones (Jared Allen being a constant snarky target) and you are constantly touting the good play of the offensive line and players like Gerhart while giving props to the front office and the coaches. How come we lose?
    Since when is having a opinion that is hard for people to agree with "Sticking a Foot In Ones Mouth"?

As to his speed. Again, I've given 40 times. That in no way, nor have I every said he plays as fast as AD. Two different animals. My point is that he isn't that much slower. Again, been pretty consistent with that thought.

As to the teams you've listed, you are looking at a few of them and looking at backs that really haven't had a good year last year and a few haven't had a good year in 2 or 3 years.

In the end, were I seemed to "Put My Fut In My Mouth" the most on here is when I start talking about/comparing younger players to older players who have made a name for themselves. In my mind alot of them aren't living up to that name anymore.

Case in point, of late I have been on Whinny and K-dubb. Alot of people still seem to think they are the greatest when in fact neither has really been playing to that level.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by 12purplepride28 View Post
    Obviously he would've been drafted. And the rest of your post is mostly wrong. He's not better than Beanie Wells or Ryan Mathews. He may start on Cincy but it's a tossup. He'd start on GB, IND, maybe WAS, and split time in NE. He's not better than McGahee in DEN, Wells or Mathews in ARI and SD, and he's definitely not better than Reggie Bush in MIA.

Go look up Javhid Best highlights and then Toby Gerhart highlights and tell me Toby is better.
    Best? Comeon, really. Just as a reminder, here are the stats from last year.

NFL Stats: by Player Category

At some point opinions do need a bit of validity behind them to be taken to the next step.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    I don't see how him being defined as a grinder gives him any more chance to be a starter than if he is classified differently. If anything the fact that he is a grinder, which I agree with, puts restraints on when and where he can be used and limits his chances of starting on any team over backs that are closer to the prototype RB's.

His skill set is always going to limit him to being a bit player in an offense unless he finds a coach and a system that thinks enough of him to build or scheme around the skills he has and is content with giving up the things he lacks.

On way or the other there is no way that he could unseat the starter on half the teams in the league. The number could be counted on one hand.
    But is he really a grinder or are a few of the PPO posters lumping him in as one just because he is a bit bigger than most backs and has been used that way by the staff?

Again, he will be asked to take on the starters role this year and will be a damn fine starter just like he has been when asked to before when AD went down.

Is he ever going to make you forget about AD? No, not saying that. All I'm saying is that he is a young back that has gotten better and better each year, that isn't as slow as most think (because of his size) that will do just fine as the starter until AD can get back to 100%.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    Since when is having a opinion that is hard for people to agree with "Sticking a Foot In Ones Mouth"?

As to his speed. Again, I've given 40 times. That in no way, nor have I every said he plays as fast as AD. Two different animals. My point is that he isn't that much slower. Again, been pretty consistent with that thought.

As to the teams you've listed, you are looking at a few of them and looking at backs that really haven't had a good year last year and a few haven't had a good year in 2 or 3 years.

In the end, were I seemed to "Put My Fut In My Mouth" the most on here is when I start talking about/comparing younger players to older players who have made a name for themselves. In my mind alot of them aren't living up to that name anymore.

Case in point, of late I have been on Whinny and K-dubb. Alot of people still seem to think they are the greatest when in fact neither has really been playing to that level.
    I think the point is that he really is.

Doesn't mean he can't be an effective back, just kind of silly whenever you throw things out like "isn't that much slower" or "is almost as fast". Read much better if you started with something like, he might not be as fast or explosive as AD, but he is a solid north/south runner who can be a very productive contributor and help hold the fort down if AD takes a while to come back.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    Ok. You have just lost any shred of credibility that may have remained.
    moving on.
    Why does everyone seem to think that anyone has credibility on a fan discussion site?

You know whats going to be fun this year? Digging this thread up and going over some of these RB's and their production.

In the end, just because they have a good name and reputation built over a few years doesn't mean they are still the same player.

Turner is one of those. 1 game over 75 yards after week 11. 1 game. That is a sure sign of a back that has been ridden hard and is on the down hill side of being in his prime.

Maybe I should question your credibility for at least not noting that it is a worthy discussion point my friend. In the end, its not about credibility, its about the discussion. Remember

Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    I think the point is that he really is.

Doesn't mean he can't be an effective back, just kind of silly whenever you throw things out like "isn't that much slower" or "is almost as fast". Read much better if you started with something like, he might not be as fast or explosive as AD, but he is a solid north/south runner who can be a very productive contributor and help hold the fort down if AD takes a while to come back.
    But why isn't it OK to say that especially when I gave 40 times along with it?

The same people who disagree with me took Toby's Low speed and compared it to AD's high speed. I could have done the same thing,,,,Took Toby's high speed and compared it to AD's low speed. Instead I gave all three for both.

This is nothing more than several posters on this site who think Rick took Toby to high and haven't liked him from the beginning because of it.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

Overall thoughts on the draft + UDFA

I thought I gave you a good answer earlier on the difference in those times and how it looks on the field. Even through a video in there for a visual effect.

smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post

This is nothing more than several posters on this site who think Rick took Toby to high and haven't liked him from the beginning because of it.
    You have it twisted. Most people realize Toby is a very serviceable backup; one of the best in the league, and are happy to have him as such. His yards per carry bear that out.

They are more upset with Rick wasting an extra draft pick to move up and get him when it didn't appear necessary.
    I believe we could have used help elsewhere and found a back up running back in a later round.
    40 times don't seem too convincing in this case. Why do you suppose that is?

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast