Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    I know it's just pre-season, but last nights showing reinforces my belief that Webb may be cut at the end of training camp.
    Can't be a QB in todays NFL if you can't pass.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by smegmavike View Post
    I know it's just pre-season, but last nights showing reinforces my belief that Webb may be cut at the end of training camp.
    I'm not sure.

I think they will keep three....Ponder, Webb and the long named kid. Sage gets sent packing.

Rationale, The only thing to keep Sage around for is if you think you have a shot at the playoffs.

In the end, we are still a young team with players to develop so we probably aren't going to be in the playoffs (can't believe I just typed that). 1 QB takes up just as much film time as 3. Develop all three and see what you have at the end of the season.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries
    Im fine with Sage as #2, i think we should have Webb at #3, but in a hybrid role so he can also get playing time at other positions.. We save a roster spot that way..

Is MBT really gonna get any playing time this year?.. I think we could easily drop him and pick him up if we needed to later in the season or atleast a player similar to his level..

Is he still eligible for the practice squad?

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

PackSux! is offline Hall of Famer
    I hope they keep Thompson and drop either Sage or Webb. It would be great to see them find a spot for Webb but I am not sure where that would be.

I think that Thompson has some serious potential, just my opinion.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by smegmavike View Post

Webb career comp %: 57.9

Ponder career comp %: 54.3

So what should we do with Ponder then?

I'm not going to get all worked up and calling for players heads after one lousy preseason game.

IMO though, If anyone would go it would be Rosencopter. He's a 12 year perennial backup that has no upside, other than a veteran presence, if you can call it that, or any long term possibilities with the Vikings or any other team. He hasn't thrown a pass in a regular season game since 2008 & his salary is more than 3x what Webb's is.

This is Craig Johnson's 1st year as our QB coach & his 13th year as a QB coach. I'm willing to wait & see what he can do with our 3 young qb's.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Quote Originally Posted by PackSux! View Post
    I hope they keep Thompson and drop either Sage or Webb. It would be great to see them find a spot for Webb but I am not sure where that would be.
    Punt protector? :P

Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    This sums up what I have been saying about Webb for a while now:

When Webb plays well, itís mostly coming in during the game when teams arenít ready for his speed and strength. Give a team a chance to prepare for him? Joe Webb has mostly been a lousy QB.
    Give a team time to prepare against Ponder and how many games has he won?

Not sure how you and PA justify or quantify that statement.

Exactly how many times have teams "prepared" for Webb, knowing he'd get the start? 1? 2?

There's two starts that I know of, he won 1 of them, but I don't recall if those starts were "game time" decisions or if opponents knew ahead of time that Webb was starting.
    Last edited by singersp; 08-12-2012 at 10:53 AM.

smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post

So what should we do with Ponder then?

I'm not going to get all worked up and calling for players heads after one lousy preseason game.

IMO though, If anyone would go it would be Rosencopter. He's a 12 year perennial backup that has no upside, other than a veteran presence, if you can call it that, or any long term possibilities with the Vikings or any other team. He hasn't thrown a pass in a regular season game since 2008 & his salary is more than 3x what Webb's is.

This is Craig Johnson's 1st year as our QB coach & his 13th year as a QB coach. I'm willing to wait & see what he can do with our 3 young qb's.
    You are thinking like a fan. I didn't say I would cut Webb, nor am I calling for Webb to be cut. I just feel the Vikings may cut him based on the fact they have already decided not to give him a chance to start, by drafting Ponder and giving him the starting spot without any real QB competition. This is despite the fact Webb played as well if not better than Ponder last year,
    The Vikings have decided Webb isn't a starting NFL QB. Now they are evaluating him to see if he has the potential to ever be a starter.
    In addition, they paid sage a half million dollar guaranteed contract for this season. And despite what Marrdro says, the coaches and GM have paid a lot of lip service to the importance of veterans helping teach younger players.

I would personally like to see Webb stick and MBT carried on the practice squad, although I expect MBT would be picked up by another team.
    But I will not be surprised if Webb gets cut, especially if his passing accuracy doesn't improve.

BTW, the career completion percentage for Ponder and Webb is pathetic and hardly supportive of either being a good QB. Ponder has a long way to go.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post

Thats it, your gonna go with "Career" percentages? You crack me up.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

gamecocksbaseball31 is offline Hall of Famer
    There is no doubt about it that Christian Ponder is our quarterback. No doubt. But to see Joe Webb be released from this team would be an ultimately dumb move for the organization. With our question marks at WR, and with Webb's uncanny athletic ability, why on earth would we release him. Line him up out wide and let him make some plays. This doesn't matter as much, but it opens up the possibility or at least the threat for any type of trick plays. That isn't my reason for doing so though. It is about how thin we are at WR.

Also, lets point this out. Every team in the NFL wants O-linemen that can play multiple positions. Why not keep a guy who can play multiple skill positions? In my opinion, he is better than some options we have at WR, and it gives us another security blanket at QB.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast