Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Is McLeod Bethel-Thompson Pushing Joe Webb in Camp? Paul Allen Thinks So.

True Webb has had a couple memorable games as a relief pitcher, and he did have that one nice start against the Eagles, but he’s also had other games where he’s been dismal. When Webb plays well, it’s mostly coming in during the game when teams aren’t ready for his speed and strength. Give a team – the Bears for example – a chance to prepare for him? Joe Webb has mostly been a lousy QB.
    So if you take Webb’s spotty record as a player into account, and add in the fact that he’s not been overly impressive in camp? Maybe we shouldn’t be so sure about Webb’s status on the roster. What if Bethel-Thompson continues having good practices and mixes in a couple solid preseason performances? And Webb keeps stinking it up? It’s not out of the question that Webb could be bumped down the depth chart.
    And if Webb gets bumped down from #2, really, what would be the reason for keeping him on the roster at all? Rosenfels at least has the “calming influence and mentor” thing going for him. Yes, I know some people love the idea of Webb as a multi-position weapon a la Antwaan Randle El, but honestly, does anyone think that’s ever going to come to fruition? The Blazer package is dead and buried. Webb is either a QB or he’s nothing. The way things are going, it looks like Webb’s career is leaning toward nothing. At least according to Paul Allen.

Is McLeod Bethel-Thompson Pushing Joe Webb in Camp? Paul Allen Thinks So. - The Viking Age - A Minnesota Vikings Fan Site - News, Blogs, Opinion and more.

Hmmmmm, maybe some of us weren't to far off when we Pondered if the staff was the right to devote all the primary reps to Ponder.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    I would not be surprised to see Webb get cut. The Vikings made their decision when they drafted Ponder.
    When has there ever been a real QB competition ?
    Most teams pay lip service to competition but realize it is usually counterproductive at the QB position.

MrFlix is offline Training Camp Dynamite Blast 2 Champion
    I think what he did last season was pretty damn good, I would hate to see him get cut. Obviously Ponder is the better QB but I think he has his use for the team. Maybe wildcat QB orso, ...

PS.: I can't remember what game it was last season but at some point Webb broke 3 tackels in a row with just a couple of seconds on the clock. It was pretty impresive even tho he didn't complete it, he showed me that he isn't done for.

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    Wow! Did not see this coming.
    I mean... I was interested in keeping McLeod Bethel-Thompson around as a project because I like his potential, but I never thought he would impress Paul Allen this much. Regardless, it's very nice to hear, except the part that Webb is not impressive of course.

If MBT (can I call him that?) has a good preseason game, I'm inclined to keep him and let Sage Rosenfels go (poor guy, I didn't like to see him the Vikings let him go last year). At least MBT is young and has potentials to be much better. Rosenfels is not.

MaxVike is online now Team Alumni
    Cutting Webb would be a very sad thing to me. When the decision was made to go to Ponder, it should have been completed by moving Webb to WR. Just sayin'...

Webb can play in the NFL...and, will, IMO, albeit not at QB.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    If Bethel-Thompson stays on the roster, Sage Rosenfels will be the one who get cut, not Joe Webb. I'm 99 % certain of that.
    I like Sage Rosenfels, but we have to think forward. I know the players don't want to say it, but we are rebuilding.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    I think Sage would go before Webb, though I'm not at camp to see what's happening.
    Sage is 34 years old and hasn't completed a pass since 2008, and has switched teams 4 times in 4 seasons. I really don't see any upside.
    Webb is 25, going into a his 3rd NFL season with the Vikings.
    Also Webb more closely matches Ponders skill set(quick feet and athletic), so more of the game plan could stay in place in the event Ponder goes out.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Where are the posters who maintain that Webb was clearly "the better football player is of the two" and he "outplayed Ponder last year".

Just kidding around.

Regarding that story, this is the first I have heard about Webb having a "bad" camp as the article put it. Granted, I don't get to listen to PA as much while at work. I have heard him be pretty high on Bethel-Thompson though.

I agree with the others here - if anyone goes it will be Sage. Yes, he's the "veteran" presence, but I think that Webb makes for a better backup QB than Sage does - although I wouldn't want to see either one start any significant number of games.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    This sums up what I have been saying about Webb for a while now:

When Webb plays well, it’s mostly coming in during the game when teams aren’t ready for his speed and strength. Give a team a chance to prepare for him? Joe Webb has mostly been a lousy QB.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    Regarding that story, this is the first I have heard about Webb having a "bad" camp as the article put it. Granted, I don't get to listen to PA as much while at work. I have heard him be pretty high on Bethel-Thompson though.
    You should visit the Daily Norseman - For Minnesota Vikings Fans and read their camp recaps. They do a good job and post a product that lists all the articles/vids/tweets etc that are out there. In them they actually track completions/attempts and Joe has been doing pretty bad.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast