Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

Kevon's Draft Prospects

Ever week I will like to bring forth a few unknown players. Everyone knows the top 10, but what about after that? Assuming that we don't trade back, I will be focusing on players that should be available in round 2 and later.

Today's Prospect
    91863350_crop_650x440.jpg
    Kevin Zeitler, OG, Wisconsin
    6'3⅞ ft
    315 lbs

Guard is going to be a position that we must upgrade. Hutch should be back, but we have nothing after him noteworthy. Depending who is available, a draft of Blackmon and Zeitler wouldn't be the end of the world as long as we target Buffalo's LT Bell in Free agency.

As it stands, this guy is a 2nd rounder. However, I have a feeling he ends up going in the top 30 when it is all said and done. The guy pulls great and always has his head on a swivel. In the video below, he is moving and pushing Top 10 NFL draft pick DT D. Stills

Kevin Zeitler highlights Nebraska and Penn State.wmv - YouTube

What the experts are saying:

-CBS Sports - Kevin Zeitler, Wisconsin, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

Pass blocking: Anchors against larger defenders in the middle, resets hands to maintain distance. Athletic enough to help on nose tackle then pick up twist or late blitzer. Mirrors quick interior rushers. Looks to help the center, or even the tackle a few yards upfield, if he is uncovered.

Run blocking: Good fit in a zone system, uses mobility and strength to move defender down the line. Dips shoulder and moves his feet to get outside leverage when needed. Strong and low coming out of his stance, effective in short-yardage situations. Finds the mike quickly and negates him when it is his responsibility. Gives effort to hit as many targets as possible, even if on the ground. Need to work on keeping outside leverage when doubling on the nose.

Pulling/trapping: Good foot quickness working behind the line, though losing a few extra pounds around the middle would help his agility. Brings hips to knock back linebackers in his way, maintains block until running back finds the hole behind him. Gets down low quickly to defeat defenders trying to cut down running backs. Ducks his head at times, must keep his posture to see and sustain against his target.

Initial Quickness: Possesses adequate quickness off the snap to get his hands into defenders and attack linebackers at the second level, but is not elite in this category and can be a step late at times.

Downfield: Regularly hits second-level targets, uses strong hands to latch on, and keeps legs churning to carry them out of the play. Knows correct blocking angles inside, gets into position with good footwork. Will punch at smaller defenders at times instead of latching on, allowing them to get off the block.

Intangibles: Dependable, no-nonsense mauler who works hard in the weight room and on the field. Did not start the first four games of 2010 due to a high ankle sprain suffered during the summer.

- FFT -
    2012 NFL Draft: FFToolbox.com

Kevin Zeitler may be one of the better interior linemen in the nation. Using great technique and blessed with a frame with long arms and strong base, he's tough in the middle. Zeitler really gets after defenders and plays tough until the whistle. He's a multi-year starter on the interior.
    If he can work on his reaction time off the snap, there wouldn't be much to critique in his game. Most of his problems stem from the occasions the defenders gets their hands on him first. When he can drive forward and lean into his block, he can manhandle his man and open things up inside. As a pass protector, he does well to anchor and to hold his ground while absorbing the pass rush.

Improving his hand placement (which isn't bad by any means) will make up for what he lacks in athleticism. His footwork is solid, but since he is so strong in his lower half that he hasn't yet needed refinement.
    Last edited by kevoncox; 01-25-2012 at 06:21 AM.

Let me know if there is a prospect you want covered.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    MY WARPIG in the second round.

Alameda Ta'amu, DT, Washington

True nose tackles are hard for NFL teams to find. Most prospects are selected in the middle and late rounds since having the full skill set to play the position takes time to develop. Washington Huskies DT Alameda Ta'amu is the early front-runner to be the first NT prospect to be drafted.Ta'amu has an incredible frame, elite strength, and a real toughness to do the dirty work in the trenches. For a man his size, he moves well in tight spaces and can redirect the pile in either direction. Though he needs a lot of refinement in his pass rush, scouts will be reminded of Baltimore Ravens DT Haloti Ngata when they see him play.
    Although he is overweight, his stamina and motor are above average. He typically plays all three downs and rarely comes out of the game. In order to take his game to the next level, he'll need to work on maintaining leverage, keeping his pad level low, and work on ways to go around blockers instead of through them.
    Ta'amu will receive a ton of attention from 3-4 teams and in particular, defenses that want to improve their run defense at the point of attack. Ta'amu projects as a second round pick in the 2012 NFL Draft.

Alameda Ta'amu, DT, Washington Scouting Report - 2012 NFL Draft Prospect
    Love this kid, especially if Hussain doesn't come back.

2012 NFL Draft Prospect Scouting Report:
    Aaron Henry, FS, Wisconsin

Safeties who can cover in man coverage out of college are more rare than one would think. University of Wisconsin safety prospect Aaron Henry can do just that as he formerly played cornerback for the Badgers. His limited experience at safety will prove to give general managers and scouts the idea that he still has more development to come at the position.Henry exhibits good patience with his footwork and lower half. Many cornerbacks are too quick to open up their hips, but Henry is very disciplined. In exchange for that discipline though is that he does not get a jump on the ball with regularity. He will need to be in the video room often, studying his opponents' tendencies rather than relying on athleticism.
    As a tackler, he isn't afraid to mix it up but lacks that aggressive streak coaches like to see out of the safety position. Henry will flow to the ball, but he won't explode and needs to learn to keep his feet moving and active.
    When he fully understands the position, he has the potential to be a solid reserve but simply lacks that attractive, elite natural ability that many other safeties possess.
    Henry projects as a fourth round pick in the 2012 NFL Draft.

2012 NFL Draft: FFToolbox.comnteresting mid round prospect. Concerned about his speed, but the "Angles" comment makes up for it. Let him learn from the bench and help out on special teams.

Lots of good looking CB's in this class. Can get this kid in the 3rd or even 4th.

Stephon Gilmore, CB, South Carolina

Gilmore is just a junior, but he has plenty of experience at the college level. The cornerback was a starter right from the beginning in Columbia, where he earned Freshman All-America honors from a number of media outlets. As a sophomore he was named by the Associated Press to the All-America Third Team and to the All-SEC Second team. The conference's coaches named him to the All-SEC First Team. In 2010 he had three sacks, six tackles for loss, and led the Gamecocks with 79 tackles. So far this season Gilmore has 29 tackles, two interceptions, and five pass breakups through seven games to go along with a fumble recovery that he returned 56 yards.A native of Rock Hill, SC, Gilmore stands at 6'1'' and 193 pounds--good size for a player at his position. He generally runs around a 4.50 in the 40-yard dash, but has been clocked as fast as 4.42 from that distance. His speed will have to improve a little bit if he wants to become an elite cornerback in the NFL. Taylor is not afraid to be physical with wideouts at the line of scrimmage and he is a sound tackler in addition to excelling when asked to blitz. His coverage skills are average or slightly above average, but he has to get better around the ball. Assuming Gilmore leaves early, he is on the brink of garnering a first-round selection in the 2012 draft and he can all but wrap it up with continued good play during his junior campaign.

Stephon Gilmore, CB, South Carolina Scouting Report - 2012 NFL Draft Prospect

Emmanuel Acho, ILB, Texas

The Texas Longhorns have been putting defenders in the NFL for years and they'll continue that long tradition with linebacker Emmanuel Acho. His potential scheme versatility can push him higher on draft boards, but he lacks the ideal size and athleticism to demand higher consideration.With a long frame, it looks as though Acho could still be growing into his body. Defenses that like to have their linebackers sit back in zone coverage will greatly appreciate his ability to tackle in open spaces and flow to the ball with ease. Acho doesn't have great speed, but he takes good angles, makes good decisions and is sound in his assignments. Moving forward, he's going to need to bulk up, especially if he wants to play inside.
    When blitzing, his long arms help him fend off blockers well and create leverage. Since NFL offenses are working the middle of the field more often due to the league's rule changes, Acho's coverage skills make him an ideal strong-side linebacker who can also be used as a blitzer.

Emmanuel Acho, ILB, Texas Scouting Report - 2012 NFL Draft Prospect
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

[QUOTE=Marrdro;1118643]MY WARPIG in the second round.

Alameda Ta'amu, DT, Washington

True nose tackles are hard for NFL teams to find. Most prospects are selected in the middle and late rounds since having the full skill set to play the position takes time to develop. Washington Huskies DT Alameda Ta'amu is the early front-runner to be the first NT prospect to be drafted.Ta'amu has an incredible frame, elite strength, and a real toughness to do the dirty work in the trenches. For a man his size, he moves well in tight spaces and can redirect the pile in either direction. Though he needs a lot of refinement in his pass rush, scouts will be reminded of Baltimore Ravens DT Haloti Ngata when they see him play.
    Although he is overweight, his stamina and motor are above average. He typically plays all three downs and rarely comes out of the game. In order to take his game to the next level, he'll need to work on maintaining leverage, keeping his pad level low, and work on ways to go around blockers instead of through them.
    Ta'amu will receive a ton of attention from 3-4 teams and in particular, defenses that want to improve their run defense at the point of attack. Ta'amu projects as a second round pick in the 2012 NFL Draft.

Alameda Ta'amu, DT, Washington Scouting Report - 2012 NFL Draft Prospect
    Love this kid, especially if Hussain doesn't come back.

2012 NFL Draft Prospect Scouting Report:
    Aaron Henry, FS, Wisconsin

Safeties who can cover in man coverage out of college are more rare than one would think. University of Wisconsin safety prospect Aaron Henry can do just that as he formerly played cornerback for the Badgers. His limited experience at safety will prove to give general managers and scouts the idea that he still has more development to come at the position.Henry exhibits good patience with his footwork and lower half. Many cornerbacks are too quick to open up their hips, but Henry is very disciplined. In exchange for that discipline though is that he does not get a jump on the ball with regularity. He will need to be in the video room often, studying his opponents' tendencies rather than relying on athleticism.
    As a tackler, he isn't afraid to mix it up but lacks that aggressive streak coaches like to see out of the safety position. Henry will flow to the ball, but he won't explode and needs to learn to keep his feet moving and active.
    When he fully understands the position, he has the potential to be a solid reserve but simply lacks that attractive, elite natural ability that many other safeties possess.
    Henry projects as a fourth round pick in the 2012 NFL Draft.

2012 NFL Draft: FFToolbox.comnteresting mid round prospect. Concerned about his speed, but the "Angles" comment makes up for it. Let him learn from the bench and help out on special teams.

Lots of good looking CB's in this class. Can get this kid in the 3rd or even 4th.

Stephon Gilmore, CB, South Carolina

Gilmore is just a junior, but he has plenty of experience at the college level. The cornerback was a starter right from the beginning in Columbia, where he earned Freshman All-America honors from a number of media outlets. As a sophomore he was named by the Associated Press to the All-America Third Team and to the All-SEC Second team. The conference's coaches named him to the All-SEC First Team. In 2010 he had three sacks, six tackles for loss, and led the Gamecocks with 79 tackles. So far this season Gilmore has 29 tackles, two interceptions, and five pass breakups through seven games to go along with a fumble recovery that he returned 56 yards.A native of Rock Hill, SC, Gilmore stands at 6'1'' and 193 pounds--good size for a player at his position. He generally runs around a 4.50 in the 40-yard dash, but has been clocked as fast as 4.42 from that distance. His speed will have to improve a little bit if he wants to become an elite cornerback in the NFL. Taylor is not afraid to be physical with wideouts at the line of scrimmage and he is a sound tackler in addition to excelling when asked to blitz. His coverage skills are average or slightly above average, but he has to get better around the ball. Assuming Gilmore leaves early, he is on the brink of garnering a first-round selection in the 2012 draft and he can all but wrap it up with continued good play during his junior campaign.

Stephon Gilmore, CB, South Carolina Scouting Report - 2012 NFL Draft Prospect

Emmanuel Acho, ILB, Texas

The Texas Longhorns have been putting defenders in the NFL for years and they'll continue that long tradition with linebacker Emmanuel Acho. His potential scheme versatility can push him higher on draft boards, but he lacks the ideal size and athleticism to demand higher consideration.With a long frame, it looks as though Acho could still be growing into his body. Defenses that like to have their linebackers sit back in zone coverage will greatly appreciate his ability to tackle in open spaces and flow to the ball with ease. Acho doesn't have great speed, but he takes good angles, makes good decisions and is sound in his assignments. Moving forward, he's going to need to bulk up, especially if he wants to play inside.
    When blitzing, his long arms help him fend off blockers well and create leverage. Since NFL offenses are working the middle of the field more often due to the league's rule changes, Acho's coverage skills make him an ideal strong-side linebacker who can also be used as a blitzer.

Emmanuel Acho, ILB, Texas Scouting Report - 2012 NFL Draft Prospect
    [/QUOTE

I think your Warpig is gonna be gone in the first.

AS for the FS and OLB... I prefer FS George Iloka ( should be there in the 3rd) and Lavonte David (OLB)
    Both guys are going to be hugh. David is a tackling machine. A big small at 6'1 225, but you know the saying size of the fight in the dog not the size of the dog in the fight

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    I think your Warpig is gonna be gone in the first.

AS for the FS and OLB... I prefer FS George Iloka ( should be there in the 3rd) and Lavonte David (OLB)
    Both guys are going to be hugh. David is a tackling machine. A big small at 6'1 225, but you know the saying size of the fight in the dog not the size of the dog in the fight
    Your probably correct.

You see him in the Senior bowl? Question is, did Leslie and company see enough of him to convince Spielman that they need to move around the board a bit to get him.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    Your probably correct.

You see him in the Senior bowl? Question is, did Leslie and company see enough of him to convince Spielman that they need to move around the board a bit to get him.
    My draft picks of choice would be
    1. Riley Reiff/ Martin in the first ( Acquire an extra 2nd)
    2. Dontari Poe - Warpig
    2. Trade back to acquire and extra 3rd (Lavonte David- OLB)
    3. Vontaze Burfict - MLB
    3. George Iloka - FS
    4. Marvin McNutt - WR

Signings Def - LaRon Landy ( SS), Grimes (CB),
    Signings Off - Meacheam (WR), Steve Smith ( WR) M. Bennett (TE) Owen Smidt (FB)

I think a team drafted like this will take 2 years to develop in to the NFC North Champs.

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman
    My draft picks of choice would be
    1. Riley Reiff/ Martin in the first ( Acquire an extra 2nd)
    2. Dontari Poe - Warpig
    2. Trade back to acquire and extra 3rd (Lavonte David- OLB)
    3. Vontaze Burfict - MLB
    3. George Iloka - FS
    4. Marvin McNutt - WR

Signings Def - LaRon Landy ( SS), Grimes (CB),
    Signings Off - Meacheam (WR), Steve Smith ( WR) M. Bennett (TE) Owen Smidt (FB)

I think a team drafted like this will take 2 years to develop in to the NFC North Champs.
    THe first four players you want to draft are almost exactly what I posted. Reiff I would want but i am not so sure about Martin, I think Kahlil and Reiff are more of a sure thing than him. McNutt would be one who I am not impressed with, he really hasn't shown me much. I have seen him shut down a few times, I got to see him quite a bit living in big ten country.

The only FA I would be hesitant to sign that you indicated would be Landry. He is a big hitter but that type of safety is not that big of a deal with the new rules and his cover skills are not the greatest. This is a passing league and we need to find a safety who has great ball hawking skills.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by tarkenton10 View Post
    THe first four players you want to draft are almost exactly what I posted. Reiff I would want but i am not so sure about Martin, I think Kahlil and Reiff are more of a sure thing than him. McNutt would be one who I am not impressed with, he really hasn't shown me much. I have seen him shut down a few times, I got to see him quite a bit living in big ten country.

The only FA I would be hesitant to sign that you indicated would be Landry. He is a big hitter but that type of safety is not that big of a deal with the new rules and his cover skills are not the greatest. This is a passing league and we need to find a safety who has great ball hawking skills.
    Sounds like Landry has an Achilles issue as well.

Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    Sounds like Landry has an Achilles issue as well.
    Still better than anything we have. Ball Hawk safties are rare

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Still better than anything we have. Ball Hawk safties are rare
    That's not saying much.

If he's not on the field, doesn't matter how much talent the guy has. He is injury prone and I know how you feel about that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast