Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 26
  1. #11
    kevoncox's Avatar
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,858
    Quote Originally Posted by 12purplepride28 View Post
    You left out the scenario where he helps Ponder develop and gain confidence. 1 year deals are very common in the NFL. Maybe he breaks out and we sign him to a big contract, maybe he sucks and we let him go. Either way, we aren't going to be hurt by signing him to this contract.
    When you are at the bottom of they NFL you shouldn't be thinking about what can hurt you. You should be thinking about what can help you. Again, long term people. The best teams don't pay their players after they have had breakout years. The best teams tie up players prior to bidding wars. Why bring the guy in for 1 year only to have to bid for his services after that. Its a terrible way to build a team. Look at all the Cbs we brought in. We have starters on 1 year contacts on all level of the team. When they excel that means we will have to be bidding to keep or starters not to mention extending players that deserve it. You will run into salary cap hell or continously be losing key starters to FA. Either way, you won't be a good team. Can you name a team that was in the bottom 6 teams in the nfl that has taken a 1 year deal approach to all of their free agents? I'll wait!

  2. #12
    seaniemck7's Avatar
    seaniemck7 is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    1,453
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    When you are at the bottom of they NFL you shouldn't be thinking about what can hurt you. You should be thinking about what can help you. Again, long term people. The best teams don't pay their players after they have had breakout years. The best teams tie up players prior to bidding wars. Why bring the guy in for 1 year only to have to bid for his services after that. Its a terrible way to build a team. Look at all the Cbs we brought in. We have starters on 1 year contacts on all level of the team. When they excel that means we will have to be bidding to keep or starters not to mention extending players that deserve it. You will run into salary cap hell or continously be losing key starters to FA. Either way, you won't be a good team. Can you name a team that was in the bottom 6 teams in the nfl that has taken a 1 year deal approach to all of their free agents? I'll wait!
    Kevon: almost all of our 1 year contracts that Ricky has handed out this year, i agree with you. However i believe Simpson is a different story. His agent knew his value this year was going to be shot to hell with his felony charge. Being out of his contract with the Bengals, i bet dollars to donuts that his agent was shopping him on a one year deal to redeem Simpson. The fact that he came to the Vikes was probably motivated by Ricky's penchant to signing 1 year deals. The guy has talent. He wanted a 1 year 'prove it' year versus a low ball multi-year deal. At least that is what i would have done if i were his agent. Otherwise he signs elsewhere.

    The good thing is, if he has success, we are the front runner to sign him or extend him to a reasonble contract.

  3. #13
    kevoncox's Avatar
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,858
    Quote Originally Posted by seaniemck7 View Post
    Kevon: almost all of our 1 year contracts that Ricky has handed out this year, i agree with you. However i believe Simpson is a different story. His agent knew his value this year was going to be shot to hell with his felony charge. Being out of his contract with the Bengals, i bet dollars to donuts that his agent was shopping him on a one year deal to redeem Simpson. The fact that he came to the Vikes was probably motivated by Ricky's penchant to signing 1 year deals. The guy has talent. He wanted a 1 year 'prove it' year versus a low ball multi-year deal. At least that is what i would have done if i were his agent. Otherwise he signs elsewhere.

    The good thing is, if he has success, we are the front runner to sign him or extend him to a reasonble contract.
    I think he's overrated. I think the ole' flip into the endzone gained him a lot of notoriety but it doesn't change the fact that he is an average WR and deserves to be paid like one. I do agree that his agent shopped him on a 1 year deal but that doesn't mean that we have to bite. I would have rathered we plug the hole with an Early Doucet ( who i agree is not as talented as Simpson but not by much) than to be back in this same position next season. I think Childs may become a solid WR. I don't think wright will be a consistant WR at the pro level. That leaves us facing the same problems next season and a contract year for Harvin who I think bolts to a team that's not rebuilding.

  4. #14
    seaniemck7's Avatar
    seaniemck7 is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    1,453
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    I think he's overrated. I think the ole' flip into the endzone gained him a lot of notoriety but it doesn't change the fact that he is an average WR and deserves to be paid like one. I do agree that his agent shopped him on a 1 year deal but that doesn't mean that we have to bite. I would have rathered we plug the hole with an Early Doucet ( who i agree is not as talented as Simpson but not by much) than to be back in this same position next season. I think Childs may become a solid WR. I don't think wright will be a consistant WR at the pro level. That leaves us facing the same problems next season and a contract year for Harvin who I think bolts to a team that's not rebuilding.
    i do not disagree with your logic at all. Personally I think Doucet is more of a MJenkins prototype myself and Simpson is more of an outside threat. But to that point, Doucet isn't facing a 3 game suspension. Childs, at this point, has more upside than anyone on our current roster with the idea that we know what greatness Harvin can bring. My worry, as i would guess is yours as well, is that Ricky is rolling the dice hoping to find a cheap fix with an end result of crapping out in WR department.

  5. #15
    kevoncox's Avatar
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,858
    Quote Originally Posted by seaniemck7 View Post
    i do not disagree with your logic at all. Personally I think Doucet is more of a MJenkins prototype myself and Simpson is more of an outside threat. But to that point, Doucet isn't facing a 3 game suspension. Childs, at this point, has more upside than anyone on our current roster with the idea that we know what greatness Harvin can bring. My worry, as i would guess is yours as well, is that Ricky is rolling the dice hoping to find a cheap fix with an end result of crapping out in WR department.
    Something we can't do. We need a playmaker filled offense.

  6. #16
    PackSux!'s Avatar
    PackSux! is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,553
    Will Simpson be a UFA or a RFA after this upcoming season? I did a little searching and came up with nothing.

    Hopefully a RFA IF he has a breakout season and we cant resign him during the season.

    Looks like he will be a UFA after the season.
    Last edited by PackSux!; 05-25-2012 at 09:34 AM.

  7. #17
    AngloVike's Avatar
    AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Sandhurst, UK
    Posts
    6,768
    Blog Entries
    4
    Yes we know its only offseason OTAs.. but some of this during the season won't go amiss..

    http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-mini-c...ch-at-minicamp
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...


  8. #18
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,601
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by AngloVike View Post
    Yes we know its only offseason OTAs.. but some of this during the season won't go amiss..

    http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-mini-c...ch-at-minicamp
    Lol. Chris Cook got punked on that one. I like how Simpson went up for the ball, but that was one of those types of plays when the QB and WR weren't really on the same page. Either Simpson needs to turn on the burners and get behind the secondary (and Ponder needs to throw sooner), or Ponder needs to put that ball short and on Simpson's outside shoulder.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  9. #19
    Johnson14's Avatar
    Johnson14 is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,677
    Over throw from Ponder, nice grab from Simpson.. and that was Cook?!.. damn!.. i thought it had to have been a rook or something cause he got owned, damn!

  10. #20
    seaniemck7's Avatar
    seaniemck7 is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    1,453
    Regardless that was pretty awesome.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •