Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Minniman is offline Hall of Famer

Jerome Simpson WR

The Minnesota Vikings signed former Bengals receiver Jerome Simpson on April 24th. Simpson is a 2008 second round draft pick that had a good season in 2011 snagging 50 receptions for 725 yards and four touchdowns.

Simpson was found guilty of a drugs charge and has been suspended for the first three games of the 2012 season, but he has skill and was signed to a one year deal by the Vikings. The Vikings are willing to give Simpson a second chance, but they are limiting their risk.

Any PPO thoughts on this free agent pick up?

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    Ah... this cracked me up. Great post.

This topic was discussed a month ago: Jerome Simpson visiting with Vikings today
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    I guess I didn't go back far enough for that smokin' topic.

Now that the Vikings have him signed, and the draft yielded some wide receivers, what do you think about this acquisition?

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    I think he'll stay, we're VERY thin at WR, and Simpson has some raw talent. He's an athletic guy,a nd if he can stay concentrated on football and play to his potential, he COULD be a decent option. That's a big if though, but crazier things have happened.

Vikings knew about the potential for a suspension when they signed him, so this shouldn't be a deterrant at this point.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    I' m not big on the signing because its bad business for us. 3 things may happen this season:

1. Simpson has a break out year with 1200 and 10 tds, and his signing price next season will be 24mill guareenteed.
    2. Simpson does nothing and was a bad pick up
    3. Simpson is average and neither helps or hurts us but is just a body.

If either of these happen, the long term health of the team is no better. It was all risk no reward signing. If we are confident he is the player his is we should have offered him a 4 year 10 million dollar offer and hope that he breaks out.

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    I' m not big on the signing because its bad business for us. 3 things may happen this season:

1. Simpson has a break out year with 1200 and 10 tds, and his signing price next season will be 24mill guareenteed.
    2. Simpson does nothing and was a bad pick up
    3. Simpson is average and neither helps or hurts us but is just a body.

If either of these happen, the long term health of the team is no better. It was all risk no reward signing. If we are confident he is the player his is we should have offered him a 4 year 10 million dollar offer and hope that he breaks out.
    That's stupid logic that can be applied to any free agent signing.
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by 12purplepride28 View Post
    That's stupid logic that can be applied to any free agent signing.
    No its logic you apply to 1 year deals.

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    No its logic you apply to 1 year deals.
    You left out the scenario where he helps Ponder develop and gain confidence. 1 year deals are very common in the NFL. Maybe he breaks out and we sign him to a big contract, maybe he sucks and we let him go. Either way, we aren't going to be hurt by signing him to this contract.
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

YouthVikesFan is offline Training Camp
    Quote Originally Posted by 12purplepride28 View Post
    You left out the scenario where he helps Ponder develop and gain confidence. 1 year deals are very common in the NFL. Maybe he breaks out and we sign him to a big contract, maybe he sucks and we let him go. Either way, we aren't going to be hurt by signing him to this contract.
    I agree, you wouldnt want to sign him for a benard berrian type contract just to see it play out the same way. Get him out there for a year and see what happens

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    If he can get and stay clean and focused on football, he could be one hell of a steal at 2 mill/year, and if he's looking good, we can always offer him more money mid-season. Harvin is awesome in his multi role and Jenkins is actually a really good blocking/possesion type of guy, so IMHO what we needed most was a deep threat with some legit speed and I think Simpson has it. So do Wright and Childs, but they're likely to need more development.

Odds are, one out of three flyers on a speedy reciever should work out.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast