Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainviking View Post
    How about this for a point of view?

Would you rather have Calvin Johnson and Jeff Backus...or Joe Thomas with Greg Little?

Larry Fitzgerald and Levi Brown? OR Davone Bess and Jake Long?

I think the superstar WR can take 2 defenders out of nearly every play, but a LT is still only blocking 1 guy most of the time. We'll still get an upgrade at LT...it'd be hard not to given what we have there.
    Having Calvin Johnson as your WR is moot if your QB can't throw to him because he's lying on the ground or running for his life. Our QB's were getting sacked 10% of the time when they dropped back to pass. Additionally only 56% of those passes were being completed. Once the worm driller known as McNabb was benched, the pass completions dropped from 56% to 54%.

Yes, a WR can take two defenders with him, but how often is one of the two a DT?
    Last edited by singersp; 04-23-2012 at 05:27 AM.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    No I didn't know that because it's bullshit.

If you checked your facts, the last 4 times Allen faced the Packers when Clifton was starting he only had 2 sacks.

Those 7.5 sacks in 2009 came against a different LT (Lang, I believe) as Clifton never played in those games.

It further shows what can happen when you take a good starting LT like Clifton & replace him with a "serviceable" LT like some here think is all we need.
    Oops I missed Clifton 09 injuries...so he has only face Allen twice in the last 3 years and Allen has had 2 sacks and 3 sacks in their last 4 meetings if you go back to 08

to the second part last years backup tackle allowed 3 sacks in 2 meetings with Allen last year...not so sure if servicable and backup are the same

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by MorrisCaliborne View Post
    Vikings | Morris Claiborne may be first pick
    Sun, 22 Apr 2012 13:16:52 -0700

The Minnesota Vikings may decide to take Louisiana State CB Morris Claiborne with their first-round draft choice in the 2012 NFL Draft.

0 Comments | Source: 1500ESPN.com - Tom Pelissero

Read more: NFL News and Rumors - Hot off the Wire Fantasy Football News
    Well there's not much news there, hell, we MAY take a FB with the third pick too, but not likely.

I'm not against Claiborne or Kalil. That's the beauty of it! We pick one of those 3 at 3 and I'll be happy. If we can move back a few spots and still land one of those 3 or Floyd, I'll be even happier. I just think that Blackmon makes the biggest difference for our team right now, and that IF his personality is what I think it is, he's a rare gem of a non-Diva Receiver (where Kalil has some question marks about intensity and entitlement, on the wrong side of rare for an OL.)

Pairing Cook with Claiborne in Man-Coverage with 2 Safeties on the deep zones and our DL and LBs sharing the short zones sounds great! We do have three super-stars QBs in our division and all of them have at least one super-star WR, so boosting the defense makes sense. But, the NFL rules have made it harder to play defense, and easier to pass the ball (or collect free first downs via pass interference etc.) And, we've already added 4 CBs back to the roster: 1 from injury, 1 from stupidity, and 2 Free Agents. IF we draft Claiborne, keep Cook & Winny, we'd have some serious competition for the 4th and 5th spots and might not even keep the FA guys we just signed. It just makes it sound a lil unlikely.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Well there's not much news there, hell, we MAY take a FB with the third pick too, but not likely.

I'm not against Claiborne or Kalil. That's the beauty of it! We pick one of those 3 at 3 and I'll be happy. If we can move back a few spots and still land one of those 3 or Floyd, I'll be even happier. I just think that Blackmon makes the biggest difference for our team right now, and that IF his personality is what I think it is, he's a rare gem of a non-Diva Receiver (where Kalil has some question marks about intensity and entitlement, on the wrong side of rare for an OL.)

Pairing Cook with Claiborne in Man-Coverage with 2 Safeties on the deep zones and our DL and LBs sharing the short zones sounds great! We do have three super-stars QBs in our division and all of them have at least one super-star WR, so boosting the defense makes sense. But, the NFL rules have made it harder to play defense, and easier to pass the ball (or collect free first downs via pass interference etc.) And, we've already added 4 CBs back to the roster: 1 from injury, 1 from stupidity, and 2 Free Agents. IF we draft Claiborne, keep Cook & Winny, we'd have some serious competition for the 4th and 5th spots and might not even keep the FA guys we just signed. It just makes it sound a lil unlikely.
    Not sure why almost everybody wants Floyd? He is going to be a bust

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Having Calvin Johnson as your WR is moot if your QB can't throw to him because he's lying on the ground or running for his life. Our QB's were getting sacked 10% of the time when they dropped back to pass. Additionally only 56% of those passes were being completed. Once the worm driller known as McNabb was benched, the pass completions dropped from 56% to 54%.

Yes, a WR can take two defenders with him, but how often is one of the two a DT?
    Yeah, I know that our OL is a huge problem! Last in the league in adjusted sack yards, yet we were no.2 in yards/rush despite the fact everybody knows thats what we're going to do.

My thought is that getting an upgrade at No.1 WR, ie, more of a deep threat than Harvin, is way more likely in round 1, maybe 2 because of the WR depth this draft, but we're still looking at a guy who needs more development. On the other hand, we could probably draft a LT at the top of the 3rd or 4th who would still be an upgrade to what we have now.

We could give up our 3 to move our 2 into late first and get Reiff, Glenn, or Martin. We could move our 2nd back or our 3rd up and get Adams, Massie, or Osemele. Or we could very likely wait til the 3rd and still get an upgrade by bringing in one of Ponder's college protectors, Zebrie Sanders:

Pass Blocking - Footwork and technique are usually very good. Has a balanced and agile pass protection set that handles all motions effectively. Hand placement is excellent. The one concern is handling the super quick edge rusher. Foot speed and quickness are very good, but not elite. Has the power and bend needed to anchor against the bull rush. Sometimes will attempt to punch too soon, lunge, and fail to transfer power properly as a result.

Run Blocking - Has the ability to sink hips and generate real power with strong hands. Consistently moves defenders back. Grades out extremely well in every aspect of run blocking.

Intangibles: Nearly the highest possible grade. Smart, durable, healthy, experienced and of high character. Willingness and ability to play either OT position earns high marks.
    Zebrie Sanders, Florida State, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    For a so called average LT, Clifton sure has been able to handle JA one on one. I think you're selling him a bit short.
    Its looking like Chad's done the Packers have just released him

Clifton had offseason back surgery and failed a team physical, sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter, who initially reported Clifton would be released.
    Link

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    How about this for a point of view?

Would you rather have Calvin Johnson and Jeff Backus...or Joe Thomas with Greg Little?

Larry Fitzgerald and Levi Brown? OR Davone Bess and Jake Long?

I think the superstar WR can take 2 defenders out of nearly every play, but a LT is still only blocking 1 guy most of the time. We'll still get an upgrade at LT...it'd be hard not to given what we have there.
    Well obviously if we had the opportunity to take a Fitz or a Calvin then we would take him, but Blackmon isn't them. He could be a bust for all we know, and even if he isn't most "experts" believe that he has a high floor and a low ceiling. If I knew that Blackmon would be a superstar then I would be on his bandwagon in a heartbeat. But we don't know that. Kalil is much more likely to become Joe Thomas than Blackmon is to be like anyone you mentioned.

Also, if we take Kalil then we can put Charlie Johnson at LG and Geoff Schwartz or Joe Berger at RG with Loadholt/Schwartz at RT. That is a lot more than taking out one defender.

Look at what Orlando Pace did for Warner and Faulk! Build the line first then get more weapons. We have Harvin, Peterson/Gerhart (meh), and Kyle Rudolph/Carlson. That is a much better group than our OL. And there are always WR gems found in the late rounds or as UDFA, but that can be said for any group. There just seems to be a lot of WRs taken in later rounds that are superstars.
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    On the other hand, we could probably draft a LT at the top of the 3rd or 4th who would still be an upgrade to what we have now.
    That's probably a very sad fact.

Except Spielman will be the one doing the drafting.
    Last edited by singersp; 04-23-2012 at 08:26 PM.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456