Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 58
  1. #41
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,207
    Quote Originally Posted by vikinggreg View Post
    You do know the last 4 times Allen face the Packers when Clifton was a starter he has 8.5 sacks....although Clifton didn't give up any last year since he missed 10 games and Allen never saw him
    No I didn't know that because it's bullshit.

    If you checked your facts, the last 4 times Allen faced the Packers when Clifton was starting he only had 2 sacks.

    Those 7.5 sacks in 2009 came against a different LT (Lang, I believe) as Clifton never played in those games.

    It further shows what can happen when you take a good starting LT like Clifton & replace him with a "serviceable" LT like some here think is all we need.
    Last edited by singersp; 04-22-2012 at 08:22 AM.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  2. #42
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,207
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    That is one hell of an assumption. Name one LT in the history of the NFL that came in and gave the team an extra 1.5 plays per drive.

    Did any of the top LT's in the game right now personally account for that type of increase in plays per drive? considering the records of those teams I find it highly unlikely but feel free to post proof.
    But look at how many close games they lost by 7 points or less! If only those teams had a secondary! LOL!

    You may want to look at other aspects of their game for the reason they lose games other than just LT. QB perhaps?

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  3. #43
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,207
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    Bob Sansevere: Ex-Viking Gary Zimmerman talks about Matt Kalil - TwinCities.com

    So, basically, what Zim is saying is, as long as you stay away from 7 step drops, any ole LT will do, as long as you have the WR's who can get open on the 3 and 5 step routes.

    Hmmmmmmm, sounds like one of the eggs has moved in front of the chicken.
    Problem is you need a line that can hold for those 3 & 5 step routes. We don't have that.

    A hand off to AD takes less time than any throw Ponder tries to make. How many times was "THE BEST RB IN THE LEAGUE" (quote unquote) stuffed behind the line or tackled for no gain again?

    Didn't out RB's lead the league with most tackles for a loss?

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  4. #44
    Braddock's Avatar
    Braddock is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Clermont, FL
    Posts
    1,630
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    It's pretty easy to look at teams like Miami and Cleveland and say even with a top LT their offense still looks like crap.
    I struggle with the Miami/Cleveland comparison, because they don't have the same team we do. They aren't two years removed from a conference championship run, and they rotate through QBs far more than we do. They also do not have the offensive weapons we do (AP, Harvin, and I think Rudolph will work out well).

    We need stability in our QB position; it's the most important position in sports. That means helping him develop and keeping him from injury as best we can. THAT is why LT is the most important pick for us to make. We may not have a true #1 WR, but we have enough offensive weapons to make a playoff run. Save the offensive playmaker pick for next year. We need to protect Ponder. Period.

    ***EDIT: if we are getting our blue-chips from the draft, why not trade some picks to move up to pick more blue-chip players? Let's see if we can get floyd later in the first, by packaging our 2nd and a 3rd? Would be worth it.
    Trying to bring rationale to an irrational site

  5. #45
    mountainviking's Avatar
    mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,774
    Quote Originally Posted by Braddock View Post
    I struggle with the Miami/Cleveland comparison, because they don't have the same team we do. They aren't two years removed from a conference championship run, and they rotate through QBs far more than we do. They also do not have the offensive weapons we do (AP, Harvin, and I think Rudolph will work out well).

    We need stability in our QB position; it's the most important position in sports. That means helping him develop and keeping him from injury as best we can. THAT is why LT is the most important pick for us to make. We may not have a true #1 WR, but we have enough offensive weapons to make a playoff run. Save the offensive playmaker pick for next year. We need to protect Ponder. Period.

    ***EDIT: if we are getting our blue-chips from the draft, why not trade some picks to move up to pick more blue-chip players? Let's see if we can get floyd later in the first, by packaging our 2nd and a 3rd? Would be worth it.
    Turns out our 3rd + 2nd is about right on value-wise with CIN's 21st pick. That might get us a shot at Hill or Wright, but I'm pretty sure Floyd and Blackmon will be long gone.

    I've seen some mocks with Riley Rieff slipping to the Lions at 23...why not grab Blackmon first, and move up for more of a mauling run blocker later in the first? I'm just saying, Kalil isn't the only LT prospect in this draft either, and there could, possibly be a better fit available later in the first (Reiff) or with our 2nd (Osemele?) or even at the top of the third (Z.Sanders?)

    I think Blackmon is a truly elite player who has shown consistent production (100+ catches/year!) vs. double and triple teams and a rare, quiet confidence/non-diva attitude for such a star. His on field threat would open up a lil extra running space for AP and holes underneath for Harvin and our TEs to shine and give Ponder a versatile, top-notch set of skill players to grow with. Blackmon runs all the routes and has great hands. Harvin does it all. Both of our TEs can block and catch (an improvement on Shank). All that versatility could make it really difficult to gameplan against us.

    We can still get a really good LT later. The top 5 LT hasn't worked out all that well in STL, MIA, or CLE anyway.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

    "Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

  6. #46
    12purplepride28's Avatar
    12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    1,852
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainviking View Post
    We can still get a really good LT later. The top 5 LT hasn't worked out all that well in STL, MIA, or CLE anyway.
    They've actually worked out amazingly well in MIA and CLE. Just because the teams haven't worked out doesn't change the fact that their LTs are beasts. Would you say that the Adrian Peterson pick hasn't worked out for us because we haven't won anything? What about the Harvin pick?

    Solidify our OL and let Ponder grow. Just because CLE and MIA suck doesn't mean their LTs weren't great picks. The rest of their teams blow. We have AP and Harvin and whoever we snag in the 3rd or 4th. That's infinitely more than CLE has and better than what MIA has. Comparing our teams is dumb, yet so many people do it to "prove" that LT isn't that important.
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

  7. #47
    Braddock's Avatar
    Braddock is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Clermont, FL
    Posts
    1,630
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainviking View Post
    Turns out our 3rd + 2nd is about right on value-wise with CIN's 21st pick. That might get us a shot at Hill or Wright, but I'm pretty sure Floyd and Blackmon will be long gone.

    I've seen some mocks with Riley Rieff slipping to the Lions at 23...why not grab Blackmon first, and move up for more of a mauling run blocker later in the first? I'm just saying, Kalil isn't the only LT prospect in this draft either, and there could, possibly be a better fit available later in the first (Reiff) or with our 2nd (Osemele?) or even at the top of the third (Z.Sanders?)

    I think Blackmon is a truly elite player who has shown consistent production (100+ catches/year!) vs. double and triple teams and a rare, quiet confidence/non-diva attitude for such a star. His on field threat would open up a lil extra running space for AP and holes underneath for Harvin and our TEs to shine and give Ponder a versatile, top-notch set of skill players to grow with. Blackmon runs all the routes and has great hands. Harvin does it all. Both of our TEs can block and catch (an improvement on Shank). All that versatility could make it really difficult to gameplan against us.

    We can still get a really good LT later. The top 5 LT hasn't worked out all that well in STL, MIA, or CLE anyway.
    Very well said. If I were running the team, I would want to start our rebuild from the inside-out, starting at the lines and working outwards. With the pass rushers in the NFCN, I want my O-line to be filled with anchors that can stay together and gel over multiple seasons (I would get rid of Loadholt, in an instant, and start over there too). If my team were one player away, I'd go for the stud WR. If it's more (like the Vikings are) then I would start building the foundation before putting in the flashy window dressings and fancy exterior brick work.
    Trying to bring rationale to an irrational site

  8. #48
    mountainviking's Avatar
    mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,774
    Quote Originally Posted by 12purplepride28 View Post
    They've actually worked out amazingly well in MIA and CLE. Just because the teams haven't worked out doesn't change the fact that their LTs are beasts. Would you say that the Adrian Peterson pick hasn't worked out for us because we haven't won anything? What about the Harvin pick?

    Solidify our OL and let Ponder grow. Just because CLE and MIA suck doesn't mean their LTs weren't great picks. The rest of their teams blow. We have AP and Harvin and whoever we snag in the 3rd or 4th. That's infinitely more than CLE has and better than what MIA has. Comparing our teams is dumb, yet so many people do it to "prove" that LT isn't that important.
    How about this for a point of view?

    Would you rather have Calvin Johnson and Jeff Backus...or Joe Thomas with Greg Little?

    Larry Fitzgerald and Levi Brown? OR Davone Bess and Jake Long?

    I think the superstar WR can take 2 defenders out of nearly every play, but a LT is still only blocking 1 guy most of the time. We'll still get an upgrade at LT...it'd be hard not to given what we have there.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

    "Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

  9. #49
    YouthVikesFan is offline Training Camp
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    21
    I wanted kalil up until the week of the draft. Frazier announced LTs arent game changers and im starting to sink into his words. I looked at blackmon games and i like what i see, i say go with the playmaker. Im prayin cordy glenn be there in the second but i wont hold my breath. As for claiborn no point blank period, hes the least we need of all 3 considerations.

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by YouthVikesFan View Post
    I wanted kalil up until the week of the draft. Frazier announced LTs arent game changers and im starting to sink into his words. I looked at blackmon games and i like what i see, i say go with the playmaker. Im prayin cordy glenn be there in the second but i wont hold my breath. As for claiborn no point blank period, hes the least we need of all 3 considerations.
    Vikings | Morris Claiborne may be first pick
    Sun, 22 Apr 2012 13:16:52 -0700

    The Minnesota Vikings may decide to take Louisiana State CB Morris Claiborne with their first-round draft choice in the 2012 NFL Draft.

    0 Comments | Source: 1500ESPN.com - Tom Pelissero

    Read more: NFL News and Rumors - Hot off the Wire Fantasy Football News

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •