Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    Between him and Kevon, I'm not sure a positive word about the Vikings has been said in the past year.
    LOL, Singer I can understand. Our good friend Kev, I'm not so sure of. Cat knows the game. I would have thought he would have looked at the bigger picture and could see what the staff is trying to do.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp
    5'10" wr?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    Wes Welker 5'9" 185 lbs.
    Steve Smith 5'9" 185 lbs.
    Deion Branch 5'9" 195 lbs.
    Santana Moss 5'10 205 lbs.

Small receivers coming up big

Compact packages

Ideally, teams would like every small receiver to be built like Smith or Moss – strong, compact, fluid and tough enough to take a jam from a “hard” cornerback in a Cover 2 defense. Excluding physical freaks like Andre Johnson and Calvin Johnson, most small receivers have a few distinct advantages over their “prototype” counterparts: quickness, change of direction and acceleration to top speed. All three of those things can help provide the separation that truly matters in successful passing offenses.

“They’re more explosive coming out of their routes because of their body types,” said Redskins offensive coordinator Sherman Smith, who starts a pair of 5-10 receivers in Moss and Antwaan Randle El. “Deion Sanders was talking about it the other day, about guarding a bigger wide receiver and how they are slower out of their breaks than a smaller wide receiver.”

“Regardless of how fast you are, you probably will get to your top speed quicker than a 6-foot-3 guy,” said Jennings. “You’re going to put that stress on a defensive back quicker than a 6-foot-3 guy would.”

Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    Steve Smith 5'9" 185 lbs.
    Deion Branch 5'9" 195 lbs.
    Santana Moss 5'10 205 lbs.

Small receivers coming up big
    Good stuff my friend.

Welkers sure has helped, but I think, like everything in this league, things go in cycles. As the teams try to make up for the bigger stronger receivers and go bigger and stronger with their DB's, we will see a influx of smaller faster WR's (again) who can make breaks faster than they can.

Again, an interesting chess match for those that care to watch.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Good stuff my friend.

Welkers sure has helped, but I think, like everything in this league, things go in cycles. As the teams try to make up for the bigger stronger receivers and go bigger and stronger with their DB's, we will see a influx of smaller faster WR's (again) who can make breaks faster than they can.

Yep, there is always a counter and the game will continue to evolve. I always get concerned when a team falls in the trap of following trends instead of creating them.

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni
    Almost seems like we are following the followers.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    Yep, there is always a counter and the game will continue to evolve. I always get concerned when a team falls in the trap of following trends instead of creating them.
    I don't see ole Musgrove creating anything my friend. I still hope, but I doubt it will happen.

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    I don't see ole Musgrove creating anything my friend. I still hope, but I doubt it will happen.
    I agree.

Tricky plays don't cut it.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Good stuff my friend.

It isn't that teams are going to choose smaller WR's over taller WR's. The players are a finite resource and the taller, faster WR's with great hands will always get picked first and have the most demand from teams that can get them.

Ranger is offline Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    It isn't that teams are going to choose smaller WR's over taller WR's. The players are a finite resource and the taller, faster WR's with great hands will always get picked first and have the most demand from teams that can get them.
    This is very true, but I would be extremely hard pressed to pick somebody head of a prime Jerry Rice. Hell, a prime Steve Smith carried his team deep in the playoffs several times, including a game where he damn near beat a beastly Bears team by himself.

Johnson14 is offline Hall of Famer
    Id like to see both work out here, if i'm honest i'd like to see Child's healthy and see what he can do, he has the size and speed to be a big player, but he had a bad injury and story's coming out he has had trouble running routes since.

The Wright pick had me a little baffled.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast