Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Marr,
    The point isn't about whether he wanted to play or not. I can give two donkey dicks if he cared to play. The problem is we are staffing a team full of sub par players. I don't care what you say, there is a need to play football at the collegiate level. The amount of information gained a that level is eye opening and the jump to the pros dwarfs that. Yes you have a HANDFUL of players that have made that jump. Yet we are fielding a team on the exception. There are quality players out there that can add to this team. Lets stop dumpster diving just to patch a roster up. Lets not add to the fact that this staff has yet to develop anything besides indigestion.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    Marr,
    The point isn't about whether he wanted to play or not. I can give two donkey dicks if he cared to play. The problem is we are staffing a team full of sub par players. I don't care what you say, there is a need to play football at the collegiate level. The amount of information gained a that level is eye opening and the jump to the pros dwarfs that. Yes you have a HANDFUL of players that have made that jump. Yet we are fielding a team on the exception. There are quality players out there that can add to this team. Lets stop dumpster diving just to patch a roster up. Lets not add to the fact that this staff has yet to develop anything besides indigestion.
    If you limit this discussion to the tight end position, I think you will find that there is and will continue to be a number of athletic BB players that make this transition. You have to admit that being proficient at the TE position is much different than at WR. Athletic talent at TE can get you productive fairly quickly as we have seen with a number of athletes. How much is the TE position really utilized at the college level compared to the NFL. And didn't you state earlier that you learned more in 3 months at college than you did in 4 years at HS. Imagine how much you would have learned in a few months at the pro level

The NFL has made TE the latest position of choice to create a mismatch on offense. They are doing this by getting big body guys that are very athletic. The key is the athleticism and ball skills. Basketball players are a natural fit and a large pool to go after.

Your argument in general is valid, by I think you need to make some exceptions for TE's.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    TEs are the exception to the rule.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    Marr,
    I find it interesting that you think we have a roster full of "Sub-par" players.

For the second year in a row almost every player drafted was drafted at or below were he was projected to go and most were considered pretty good value were taken.

I will give you a edge if your going to go down the FA signings but I think alot of that has to do with the Ownerships unwillingness to spend based on the whole stadium deal mixed in with a weak FA class in most of the areas we needed help at.

I'll go into more detail when I do my roster analysis, but I just don't see the "Sub-par" roster you speak of.

Young, athletic, inexperienced, yes, but that is why we have coaches. To help those kids get to the next level and as I see it, everyone of them should be able to get to the next level with proper coaching.

On a side note, take a look at each player we drafted. I think it will suprise you how many other teams had them in for a visit or went to see them. Again, that doesn't happen if the kid doesn't have some potential.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345