Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries
    This guy said no to football, not to Spielman, with the headline you make it out like he would have signed for any other team.. Come on.. I don't particularly like Spielman, but to bash him for this is a new low.

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by 12purplepride28 View Post
    That's the point. I don't know why people are getting up in arms over this stuff. It can't hurt. Bring in as much competition and athletic ability as you can and the best players will win roster spots. Singer and kevon just bitch about everything Spielman does. It gets old. Like watching Marrdro say Favre was crap for us.
    It might have something to do with some of us wanting a winning team and are tired of losing players & games. To you it might get old, but to others they see the big picture. BTW, I don't bitch about everything he does, but don't let that stop you from implying it.

What gets old is people slobbing Spielman's cock because he traded the 3rd pick for the 4th & got 3 extra picks & are either complacent with a team that went 6-10 (WITH FAVRE) & 3-13 last year or are completely oblivious to it.

You might want to widen your eyes beyond the first few picks of the 2012 draft and look at what else or lack there of that Spielman accomplished.

While you're at it, don't forget the reason we have so many holes to fill on the roster or can't seem to put a lot of quality players on the field falls heavily on the shoulders of your favorite GM/Vice President of Player Personnel in the first place.

BTW, how would you grade his offseason moves/FA signings this year outside of the draft?
    Last edited by singersp; 05-04-2012 at 06:05 AM.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Quote Originally Posted by 12purplepride28 View Post
    I fail to see how that matters in this. If they don't pick up the playbook then that will show in practice and they will be cut. We aren't using a spot from the 53 man roster on them. We can have over 100 players right now and they will most likely be cut anyways. But if they aren't cut it's because they've shown they deserve to be on the roster (or in most of our player's cases, no one else was any better). These players are almost all replaceable, and if we can get a guy with a freakish vert and 40 time, who can get it together in the catching department, that can pay off huge for us. I honestly see absolutely no downside to this. If we were putting random people on our 53 man roster then I could see complaints, but before TC even started? Get real.
    Um, I do believe the offseason roster limit is 90 & not well over 100.

I don't necessarily have a problem bringing a BB player in here to try out, but I do have a problem bringing a BB player in here that doesn't know how to play football.

WE are having a hard enough time coaching the players we do have that already know football how to play in the NFL with our schemes & IMO can ill afford time to teach a green horn the rules of the game & football 101in addition to it.
    Last edited by singersp; 05-04-2012 at 06:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by skum View Post
    This guy said no to football, not to Spielman, with the headline you make it out like he would have signed for any other team.. Come on.. I don't particularly like Spielman, but to bash him for this is a new low.
    Rick invited him to tryout for the Vikings & he declined. That sounds like a "No" to me.

It's not like Rick asked this kid out of the blue. He spent time & effort researching this kid & others like him that haven't played football, when that time would be better spent researching & making an effort to bring in people that have played football & are more likely to want to play football & also have the desire & will to play football.

You're not going to put a good product on the field if you sign players who lack the drive & desire to win & play NFL football, so don't bother pursuing them.

Sure Gates played basketball in college, but he had the desire to play NFL football & pursued that goal. He was the one to arrange the football workout that eventually got him signed.

That's a big difference.

Spielman is tapping people on the shoulder that aren't interested in playing football & asking them if they want to play football.
    Last edited by singersp; 05-04-2012 at 06:42 AM.

Ranger is offline Coach
    I'm not saying that everybody should look through purple glass here, but singer...you are possibly the most negative poster on the site.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    I'm not saying that everybody should look through purple glass here, but singer...you are possibly the most negative poster on the site.
    Hardly. But probably one of the most passionate. Also because I post a lot more than others.

It always seems to appear to others as negative only if the opinion differs than theirs.

How much negativity do you recall reading or posting here about Jackson? McNabb? Childress? Tice, McKinnie, Berrian, Williamson, Smoot, Ryan Cook, Marcus Johnson, our OL, our DB's & safties & a whole gamut of other players, etc, etc?

If people want to label Spielman as a genius for selecting a player 99% of the fan base figured we'd take, so be it. I was one of the fans who liked both of the first two picks this year & really liked the Rudolph pick last year, but a lot of his other actions will draw negativity from me.

What positives can you ascertain from Spielman's decision to bring Luck & RGIII in here?

If you view my opinion that I believe our GM should be pursuing football players that have a desire to play football instead of pursuing non-football players that have no interest in playing football as negative, then guilty as charged.

There's more to being a good football player than just athleticism & skill. The desire & effort to play is equally important. Call me Mr. Negativity again for not wanting players who lack that drive.

Also feel free to call me negative because I didn't get all giddy & excited about these signings;

Lex Hilliard
    Bryan Walters
    Jose Valdez
    Marvin Mitchell
    Elimimian Solomon

If Spielman, Frazier & our coaches were doing their jobs well enough, we wouldn't be in the situation we are in in the first place. When we are headed in the direction of being 13-3 instead of 3-13, there will be a lot more positives than negatives to post about.

You & others may view having the #3 pick in the draft as a wonderful, positive thing. I happen to view having the #32 pick in the draft as a wonderful, positive thing instead, not the #3. So guilty of being negative again.

Ranger is offline Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Hardly. But probably one of the most passionate. Also because I post a lot more than others.

It always seems to appear to others as negative only if the opinion differs than theirs.

How much negativity do you recall reading or posting here about Jackson? McNabb? Childress? Tice, McKinnie, Berrian, Williamson, Smoot, Ryan Cook, Marcus Johnson, our OL, our DB's & safties & a whole gamut of other players, etc, etc?

If people want to label Spielman as a genius for selecting a player 99% of the fan base figured we'd take, so be it. I was one of the fans who liked both of the first two picks this year & really liked the Rudolph pick last year, but a lot of his other actions will draw negativity from me.

What positives can you ascertain from Spielman's decision to bring Luck & RGIII in here?

If you view my opinion that I believe our GM should be pursuing football players that have a desire to play football instead of pursuing non-football players that have no interest in playing football as negative, then guilty as charged.

There's more to being a good football player than just athleticism & skill. The desire & effort to play is equally important. Call me Mr. Negativity again for not wanting players who lack that drive.

Also feel free to call me negative because I didn't get all giddy & excited about these signings;

Lex Hilliard
    Bryan Walters
    Jose Valdez
    Marvin Mitchell
    Elimimian Solomon

If Spielman, Frazier & our coaches were doing their jobs well enough, we wouldn't be in the situation we are in in the first place. When we are headed in the direction of being 13-3 instead of 3-13, there will be a lot more positives than negatives to post about.

You & others may view having the #3 pick in the draft as a wonderful, positive thing. I happen to view having the #32 pick in the draft as a wonderful, positive thing instead, not the #3. So guilty of being negative again.
    I'm not saying that criticism is forbidden, or any such thing. Nor am I saying that you don't have the right to voice your displeasure. However, it seems like that's all you voice. Some folks want to look for a bright spot on a shit team, and right now the draft is the best we have, and it seems to be a better draft than we're used to having.

It gets old hearing people ranting and raving about poor seventh round draft picks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    I'm not saying that criticism is forbidden, or any such thing. Nor am I saying that you don't have the right to voice your displeasure. However, it seems like that's all you voice. Some folks want to look for a bright spot on a shit team, and right now the draft is the best we have, and it seems to be a better draft than we're used to having.

It gets old hearing people ranting and raving about poor seventh round draft picks.
    And you don't see me ranting & raving about poor seventh round draft picks. When it's a bright spot, you'll see me posting about it. Unfortunately, you tend to forget my positive posts. Kalil & K-Rud are two of those bright spots.

Negativity is also sometimes warranted & correct. The stadium deal not getting & Caleb King being two of those topics.

The reason you have been reading so much negativity is because what's being being talked about has a lot of negativity. There is much difference in opinion about the draft beyond the first few picks.

What else is being talked about?

The 2012 record? Some see it as rosy, some see it bleak. Again, a lot of negativity there also.

The stadium? No resolution yet. Again, a lot of negativity.

Caleb King? Michael Bennett? .......negativity. You aren't going to read anything positive there.

When your team is one of the worst in the NFL & there's a threat of losing them altogether, you're going to be reading a lot of negative posts.

Also, people in general always tend to remember the negative things they read or think about a person rather than the positive things.

There's a lot of positive in the fact that AD is far ahead of schedule in his recovery, but no one is talking about it.

There's a lot of positive in the fact that Kalil is impressive in minicamp, but no one is talking about it.

Offseasons here after a bad year are going to seem more negative than positive, because they are. There was more optimism last year because we drafted Ponder & many thought we'd greatly improve. Others thought McNabb would make us a winning team. Neither lived up to the expectations that were set in place.

Wining will change everything. Unfortunately that can't start happening until August. Until them, it's going to be a bumpy ride.
    Last edited by singersp; 05-05-2012 at 12:55 PM.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Green Bay Packers: Dale Moss, WR, South Dakota State -- Moss only made the switch from basketball to football for the Jackrabbits in his senior season. His size (6-3, 213) and athleticism (41-inch vertical) give him enough upside to land on the practice squad in 2012, or maybe as the last receiver on the 53-man if he shows enough in training camp.

Looks like the Packers don't know how to assemble a roster either, giving basketball turned football players a chance to try out.

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    Green Bay Packers: Dale Moss, WR, South Dakota State -- Moss only made the switch from basketball to football for the Jackrabbits in his senior season. His size (6-3, 213) and athleticism (41-inch vertical) give him enough upside to land on the practice squad in 2012, or maybe as the last receiver on the 53-man if he shows enough in training camp.

Looks like the Packers don't know how to assemble a roster either, giving basketball turned football players a chance to try out.
    You are useless... Obviously the Packers are a winning franchise so they can afford to take risks like this on their roster. We cannot. That is not how you build a winning roster. You play is safe and realize that the odds of the 80th person we add to our roster becoming a HOFer are much greater if he's played mediocre DT his whole life than if he was a flyer based on athletic ability. When we win 5 superbowls, then we can start thinking about risking our future on a player like that.
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast