Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by CPonderFan View Post
    LOLZ!! Revolving door?? How many LTs have we had in the last 10 years?

Honestly Tell me the names of the Lions, Bears and Packers LTs. Packer should be somewhat easy...but the others you wont know off the top of your head. How about their #1 WRs? I bet you know everyone of them... WRs make plays. Last season if we had one more TD/ game we would have finished 13-3...A little different story. Having weapons on offense changes the way defenses play us. They cant load the box or blitz as much. Which means our rushing game will be that much better (Yeah back at the top!). Sure that means that Ponder is going to have to get his reads right, Sully will have to direct protection. Sure we will give up a few sacks, but honestly...we could very easily get back on track, especially if we address our secondary in the mid rounds of the draft. Im not saying we will be 13-3 this season...but 1 TD/ game makes a huge difference. Kalil isnt going to give us a TD/game difference...a Top WR will. I personally think that Blackmon isnt the right fit...I like Floyd or Hill.
    I think you're on the right path there...but, if we can't trade down, do we take the LT, the CB, Blackmon, or go ahead and get the size/speed combo we want in Floyd...or maybe, Hill???

And, I feel like, to develop our young QBs, we almost have to be thinking LT and WR, in either order, with the first two picks...

Pairing Claiborne with Cook sounds like an awesome set of CBs, but it might be like driving a Jaguar on defense while living in a beat down trailer park on offense...?
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

I think it's kind of like the chicken and the egg. Kalil would protect Ponder and give him more time than last year (I hope). Drafting Blackmon would give Ponder a sure target to throw at. Most receivers take 3 years to come into stride, and Kalil may very well make an immediate impact.

If we take Blackmon and don't significantly upgrade our line, Ponder will still be running for his life and probably not survive the season. Also, we need holes for Toby and AP to run through and I'm not convinced that the guys we have now will be able to do that. I think tight ends will play a huge role in this coming season and we are going to have to utilize them, or this could end up being a long ugly season once again.
    I bet you could use a cool one huh Clark...Now you're talkin Eddie...

Here's a lil update from NFL Network...

"You can give Christain Ponder all the time in the world back there...but all the time in the world isn't going to get Michael Jenkins open." -Baldinger arguing his position on why the Vikes should go with Blackmon over Kalil on NFLN.
    He also mentioned it being a pass-first league, and how much a real threat will help the young QBs. Then, later on, they brought in Blackmon for an interview.

Kid just seemed soooo cool. Just, laid-back, soft-spoken confidence, not-arrogance. BUT, with a look of intensity that reminds me of Kendrick Perkins of the Thunder...a look that says, Muther Fuckin Safties and Cornerbacks better Fuckin look out for ME!!

And then, they asked him about what he likes to do besides football and he answers with: (paraphrased by questionable memory)
    Oh, off the field, I'm up for just about anything. I've been snowboarding, hunting, deep-sea fishing...I'll try just about anything once.
    Sounds like a great FIT in MN to me!!!

Did you notice? 2 years in a row of 111 or more receptions and over 1500 yards and 18 or 20 TDs!!!!

NCAA Record 14 games in a row with over 100 yards!! That says to me, I'll be open even if they're triple teaming me!!!

CPonderFan is offline Rookie
    I think that drafting a CB would be a mistake in the first round. Next season when we are sitting at 10-15 range we can pick up a solid CB then. To make a difference for Ponder we need to draft OL and WR. I personally like trading down from 3 and getting additional picks and selecting Floyd or Hill. Either one fits into our plans much better. Plus if that happens we are certain to get an extra 2nd rounder thsi season so in the second round we could get our SF (hopefully Barron) and our LT (Hopefully Osemele). That would be a perfect 1st and 2nd round draft for us. Not to mention we would probably get late round picks or picks next season included in the trade down.

The talk on Tannehill is heating up and Cleveland is talking about posibly drafting him...That makes a desperate Miami a likely canidate to trade up and probably give us some good picks to do it.
    None

MaxVike is online now Team Alumni
    There was a good segment on Sirius/XM NFL Radio yesterday, with Bill Polian. A Lions fan asked a good question about how he has been able to differentiate players he's drafted over the years, and how he determines the "Best Players." Polian went on to say: 1) the influx of media today, and the hundreds of "experts" either posting, blogging, writing, texting, Tweeting, etc, opinions about players has created this sense of fan expertise. He cautioned against putting any credibility into reading, considering, analyzing, "non-experts" opinions. Stating, an expert is someone who gets fired for making the wrong decision, someone who watches, analyzes, GAME film, and makes decisions he is accountable for. He did not chastise those with opinions who publish them, and, said it is good for the game.

He stated that picks 20-55 or 60 really aren't that far apart, talent wise...stressing the importance of doing your homework to make a hit.

He also made a claim that he has been "doing this for decades..." this, being charting, taking notes, analyzing tape, interviewing, scouting, etc. He said that there are only 5-9 "difference makers" in every draft. This draft is the same. Unfortunately, I got to where I was going and didn't here him identify his list of "difference makers" for this year.

That said, I would think Kalil and Claiborne are on the list...not so sure about Blackmon. Although, I do think Blackmon will be a very good player and wouldn't jump off a cliff. But, I would like to see Kalil in a Vikings Uniform. But then, that's only my opinion

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Doesn't matter who Baldinger, Kiper or anyone else picks in their mock drafts.

The only thing that matters is who Spielman picks.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

MaxVike is online now Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post

A much faster way of depicting what I was. Just trying to share some good points IMHO from an expert who built some pretty good teams.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post

Buzz kill.

CPonderFan is offline Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    Buzz kill.
    Lolz! +1000
    None

Was checking another WR scenario...if we take Kalil or Claiborne, we can still likely get a top-notch deep-threat by trading our 3rd round pick to move our 2nd up to CIN's 21, where Stephen Hill seems to be a great fit!! Kid ran a 4.36 40 and averaged almost 30 yards a catch!!! Better yet!? He's a hell of a blocker too!

A tall, imposing WR with long arms and big hands, Hill was mostly asked to block in Georgia Tech's triple-option offense. As a blocker, Hill is outstanding, consistently locating, controlling, moving, and pancaking smaller DBs, and more than holding his own against LBs. Hill, despite high hips, bends his knees, uses good technique, and has good range and power blocking.
    Stephen Hill, Georgia Tech, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

BAAAHWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! SKOL VIKINGS!!!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast