Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    I look at it this way.

Kalil will be a good building block, and ensure we get a very high pick next season.

Blackmon will be a good building block, potential franchise player, but ensure we pick around 10-15 next season.

There's always a blackmon-type player in most drafts. but we're rarely in a position to draft the top LT. I'd like to take one while the taking's good.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    I look at it this way.

Kalil will be a good building block, and ensure we get a very high pick next season.

Blackmon will be a good building block, potential franchise player, but ensure we pick around 10-15 next season.

There's always a blackmon-type player in most drafts. but we're rarely in a position to draft the top LT. I'd like to take one while the taking's good.
    Very true. While I like Blackmon, he doesn't appear to be out of the norm for a first round WR pick. There are 6-7 high quality WR prospects in this year's draft, hard to say which one will end up being the best pro and we may end up getting one of them with our second pick. WR's are more unpredictable than LT's.

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by CPonderFan View Post
    I think there is way too much pressure in picking up a Pro Bowl LT. Look at the teams that have won the Super bowl over the last 5 years...Off the top of your head can you name their starting LT? Besides the Ass Packers... Can you name their starting WRs? Sure as hell can. That to me says draft Blackmon, followed by 2 CBs in the 2nd and 3rd, get a WR with our Top of the 4th. The rest can be used to add depth to the LBs, OL and DL.
    and leave the revolving door on the left side of the line??? NO thankYOU!!!

Plus...More than likely we will have a top 10 pick next season...draft your OT then
    and by then Ponder will be in two pieces.... you know he's already fragile...

LT isn't a sexy pick but one of immense need and will solidify the line for years to come...

Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    I look at it this way.

Couldn't agree more!!...

PackSux! is offline Hall of Famer
    Plus...More than likely we will have a top 10 pick next season...draft your OT then
    So its ok to draft a LT next season with our first pick but not this year? I understand your man crush on Blackmon but that really dont make alot sense to me.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    The thing to really like about Blackmon is his hands and toughness after the catch. He runs like Peterson and Harvin, tough to take down with improbable balance to help him keep his feet and get those extra yards! And I also think that of our top three choices, he makes the biggest immediate impact. Adding a beast outside to our awesome running game, Harvin's versatility, our impressive 2-TEs and our bevy of no.2 and 3 wideouts would suddenly put us in contention for one of the best sets of skill players in the league...similar to what the pukers have put around Rodgers.

There's lots to love about Kalil, but I'm always a lil worried about the work ethic of guys from the University of Spoiled Children. He's already a lil "weak" as a run blocker and "needs to add muscle," what if he doesn't want to put in the hours in the weight room to be the best he can be?

What 2 TEs, 2 FBs, and a big OL signing tells me is that we really want to run the ball. Maybe, for our gameplan, we are better off filling LT by grabbing more of a mean, nasty blocker like Osemele or Ponder's ole friend, Zebrie Sanders at the top of the 2nd!?

Zebrie Sanders, Florida State, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com
    Run Blocking: Has the ability to sink his hips and generate real power with strong hands. Consistently moves defenders back. Grades out extremely well in every aspect of run blocking.
    I like Claiborne too, but think that as bad as our pass D has been, we're still better off at CB than we are at LT, no.1 WR, or even Safety!
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

CPonderFan is offline Rookie
    After sitting and thinking about everything over night I have a completely different direction that I would liek to present...

I was reading in a couple of other forums yesterday and in one of the threads someone mentined that Blackmon is too similar to Harvin in ability and where he would be st fit the offense, in the slot. I also heard in another forum that Spielman only drafts the best available player, not by team needs. Despite the fact that I disagree with both to a certain extent, it got me to thinking...

I think this could be a possible senario...

What if the Vikings traded out of the #3 because we are targeting a WR. The #3 pick would get some interest for those teams that are looking for a LT (Rams, Buffalo and a handful of others). It wont be the price tag that the Rams got for the #2 pick, but it could get us a 1st round swap, a 2nd and possibly more later this draft or next season. Evaluating what Spielman has done so far this off season I could really see him doing this and still drafting a WR with lets say the 10th overall pick (Buffalo) but not Blackmon....Im talking about home grown MN Boy Floyd or Combine Monster Hill. Either of those players would be a better fit for us as a true #1 Deep ball threat and wouldnt be that much of a stretch at 10 or lower. I could really see Floyd or Hill making a huge impact. Even better senario would be getting them both in the first 2 rounds, but i dont see either dropping out of the first round. Which would leave us with (2) 2nd round picks and I would draft a OT and CB.

I like this move. Like Baldi said...If we draft Kalil and he provides protection for Ponder...Who is Ponder going to throw the ball to? I dont think Baldi is a genius by any stretch of the imagination, but i do agree with him. Surround him with playmakers and protection wont be an issue.

Oh an as far as Spielmans drafting...It doesnt matter how he drafts this season...We have plenty of needs and alot of impact players available in this draft.
    None

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    The rams could be a good trading partner. They have the picks.
    Say they gave us the 34th pick to trade 1st(we move down 3 spots to 6). They are still two first round pick ahead, and they get the top non-QB in the draft, same as they would have gotten staying put at number 2.

CPonderFan is offline Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by bleedpurple View Post
    and leave the revolving door on the left side of the line??? NO thankYOU!!!
    LOLZ!! Revolving door?? How many LTs have we had in the last 10 years?

Honestly Tell me the names of the Lions, Bears and Packers LTs. Packer should be somewhat easy...but the others you wont know off the top of your head. How about their #1 WRs? I bet you know everyone of them... WRs make plays. Last season if we had one more TD/ game we would have finished 13-3...A little different story. Having weapons on offense changes the way defenses play us. They cant load the box or blitz as much. Which means our rushing game will be that much better (Yeah back at the top!). Sure that means that Ponder is going to have to get his reads right, Sully will have to direct protection. Sure we will give up a few sacks, but honestly...we could very easily get back on track, especially if we address our secondary in the mid rounds of the draft. Im not saying we will be 13-3 this season...but 1 TD/ game makes a huge difference. Kalil isnt going to give us a TD/game difference...a Top WR will. I personally think that Blackmon isnt the right fit...I like Floyd or Hill.
    None

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast