Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    The exact same number of games that Peyton Manning did his first year as a rookie. And Manning was arguably surrounded by more talent on offense. BTW, Manning also had more INTs than TDs his rookie year, and the team averaged only 19 points per game.
    I can't believe you think Ponder is the next Manning!

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainviking View Post
    I'm thinking that too, and I'm thinking Offense takes longer to "gel" and grow "chemistry and continuity," but perhaps more importantly, IF we don't improve blocking AND our threat of a deep pass, we'll have 2 more excuses to stick with Ponder and Webb as our 1-2. IF we give them the help we think they need, and they still don't show progress, then we'll have a better idea earlier whether we need to draft QB again.

Maybe, even collecting a pick or two for next year to set us up to either A: focus on upgrading multiple defensive positions, or B: move up to get a better option at QB.

That must be true because with the exception of the one year with a healthy Brett we have been waiting for the offense to gel since Culpepper was here.

smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    I can't believe you think Ponder is the next Manning!

=Z=
    LOL =Z=
    Good to see you posting again.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Ponder came into a system with no offseason prep, offensive line problems, and only one WR (who is a slot, not a primary). There were times when his play showed a lot of potential, there were times when we collectively groaned as a fan base. I think he showed enough promise to warrant his continued starting this year, and I fully expect him to continue to mature as he grows with the system. If not, he can go the way of Tarvaris...

If he goes the way of Tarvaris, then I hope they don't make the same mistake they did with him. Play him to find out what you have & see if he'll ever pan out rather than let him sit on the bench behind more aged veterans for 3 more years not knowing if he improved or not.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

The exact same number of games that Peyton Manning did his first year as a rookie.
    Actually Manning won 3 games his first year. 2 of our 3 wins came behind the arms of McNabb & Webb, not Ponder.

In the one win we did have behind Ponder, we were fortunate that the Panthers missed the FG to give us the win.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    That must be true because with the exception of the one year with a healthy Brett we have been waiting for the offense to gel since Culpepper was here.
    +1

And not one of those OL men from the 2005 team are still starting for us, nor are any starters from the 2006, 2007 or 2008 team. Only Sullivan & Loadholt remain. Both started in 2009.

We are at square 1 again with our OL & haven't accomplished shit in the past 7 years after investing over $100 million dollars into it never to see it gel.

Like I've said before, if the OL scheme is complicated to the point it takes years before the linemen grasp it & gel, it isn't worth running because you won't retain the same personnel long enough to reap the rewards from it.
    Last edited by singersp; 04-16-2012 at 06:55 AM.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    +1

And not one of those OL men from the 2005 team are still starting for us, nor are any starters from the 2006, 2007 or 2008 team. Only Sullivan & Loadholt remain. Both started in 2009.

We are at square 1 again with our OL & haven't accomplished shit in the past 7 years after investing over $100 million dollars into it never to see it gel.

Like I've said before, if the OL scheme is complicated to the point it takes years before the linemen grasp it & gel, it isn't worth running because you won't retain the same personnel long enough to reap the rewards from it.
    Yeah, that is where I am at too. I think that our lack of production from the OL is more a product of the scheme and coaching than it is the lack of elite talent. The unit works as a group and you need guys that compliment each other and can work off each other more than you need stand alone talent. And more importantly you need great coaching to get them to know their role and understand how to what the guy next to them is doing and how that impacts their decisions.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Actually Manning won 3 games his first year. 2 of our 3 wins came behind the arms of McNabb & Webb, not Ponder.

In the one win we did have behind Ponder, we were fortunate that the Panthers missed the FG to give us the win.
    Good point, although my statement still holds true - evaluating Ponder after 9 1/2 games in his rookie year is premature.

I am looking forward to seeing how he can perform this year.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    This about sums it up for me... I know Caine will enjoy the irony of this as well:

Mark Wilf says Rick Spielman is the Perfect Guy to Run the Team...

Anyone know where I can buy cyanide capsules?
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mac D View Post
    This about sums it up for me... I know Caine will enjoy the irony of this as well:

Mark Wilf says Rick Spielman is the Perfect Guy to Run the Team...

Anyone know where I can buy cyanide capsules?
    Of course he is going to say that. Can't hardly say you don't like your recently promoted GM.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast