Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 70
  1. #11
    VKG4LFE's Avatar
    VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Hartford, WI
    Posts
    15,993
    Quote Originally Posted by marshallvike View Post
    Yeah. That was a very messed up situation. Downtown Naperville is a very safe place to hang out,(you just don't want to drive when you go drinking there), so it was shocking for the whole town. Absolutely no reason for what happened. A friend of mine was working there that night as an assistant manager. He was telling me about it. The asshat who stabbed him must have been looking for some type of trouble. No other reason for him to have a knife. As I said it is a very safe place to hang out. I felt pretty bad for everyone involved that night. And a man died just trying to calm down a situation. We are not used to that around here.

    The only reason I ask is because Shaun was a friend of mine. I actually used to coach him in baseball when he was in high school as a freshman/sophomore and my wife and I became really close with the family. Very tragic.

    I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

  2. #12
    bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,949
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    I'm assuming you mean AD. That was hardly a "no-brainer" pick. There were some at the draft party (including me) who wanted Brady Quinn. (Yes, I know that was stupid). But let me ask you this - would you rather have AD right now or Patrick Willis? How about Darrelle Revis? Both of those guys were drafted after AD.

    2007 NFL Draft Listing - Pro-Football-Reference.com

    =Z=
    I saw how special he is/was back at Oklahoma and was hoping he'd fall to us.... with that said, you can't say that... hindsight is 20/20... none of those guys were projected to be as good as they are... Revis wasn't even the first DB taken in the draft... It was Landry.. (i know he's a safety) but you get my point...

    I was never a fan of Quinn... but looking back on it... given the state of our defense, the crappy secondary and linebacker corps, and value of running backs now adays... id' much rather have revis or willis....

    But when we drafted AP back then, it was much different... Running backs were taken early and the 2-back committee wasn't as popular as it is now... Remember Marchawn Lynch was taken one pick after Willis and before revis...

  3. #13
    VKG4LFE's Avatar
    VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Hartford, WI
    Posts
    15,993
    Quote Originally Posted by bleedpurple View Post
    I saw how special he is/was back at Oklahoma and was hoping he'd fall to us.... with that said, you can't say that... hindsight is 20/20... none of those guys were projected to be as good as they are... Revis wasn't even the first DB taken in the draft... It was Landry.. (i know he's a safety) but you get my point...

    I was never a fan of Quinn... but looking back on it... given the state of our defense, the crappy secondary and linebacker corps, and value of running backs now adays... id' much rather have revis or willis....

    But when we drafted AP back then, it was much different... Running backs were taken early and the 2-back committee wasn't as popular as it is now... Remember Marchawn Lynch was taken one pick after Willis and before revis...

    I hate to admit this now, but man did I want Brady Quinn. Ugh, good thing I'm not in the front office! haha

    I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

  4. #14
    bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,949
    Quote Originally Posted by 12purplepride28 View Post
    I don't think you can trash talk the Bengals anymore. They are going to be good with AJ and Andy.
    Just think if we had waited on Ponder, taken an OL, CB or even a WR last year... everyone else may have fallen down and we possibly could have gotten Andy Dalton.. OR, all things being equal (in a hypothetical), could have still gotten Donovan, the skins possibly pick Ponder, and this year we may have been looking at RGIII..

    All this to say, we should always stick to BPA and not reach for players of need... esp. at QB because you are so invested in the guy and by the time he develops or doesnt' your 3-4 years down the road...

  5. #15
    VKG4LFE's Avatar
    VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Hartford, WI
    Posts
    15,993
    Quote Originally Posted by bleedpurple View Post
    Just think if we had waited on Ponder, taken an OL, CB or even a WR last year... everyone else may have fallen down and we possibly could have gotten Andy Dalton.. OR, all things being equal (in a hypothetical), could have still gotten Donovan, the skins possibly pick Ponder, and this year we may have been looking at RGIII..

    All this to say, we should always stick to BPA and not reach for players of need... esp. at QB because you are so invested in the guy and by the time he develops or doesnt' your 3-4 years down the road...

    Yeah the bengals did a good job in that draft by getting dalton. We did not do a good job reaching for freakin ponder.

    I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

  6. #16
    bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,949
    Quote Originally Posted by VKG4LFE View Post
    I hate to admit this now, but man did I want Brady Quinn. Ugh, good thing I'm not in the front office! haha

    so am I... Brady Quinn?? YUCK!!! lol

  7. #17
    VKG4LFE's Avatar
    VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Hartford, WI
    Posts
    15,993
    Quote Originally Posted by bleedpurple View Post
    so am I... Brady Quinn?? YUCK!!! lol

    haha it seemed like a good idea at the time. We had no qb and AD was injury prone. haha

    I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

  8. #18
    marshallvike's Avatar
    marshallvike is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Posts
    2,469
    Quote Originally Posted by VKG4LFE View Post
    The only reason I ask is because Shaun was a friend of mine. I actually used to coach him in baseball when he was in high school as a freshman/sophomore and my wife and I became really close with the family. Very tragic.
    Sorry for your loss VKG, and prayers to his family.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

  9. #19
    VKG4LFE's Avatar
    VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Hartford, WI
    Posts
    15,993
    [QUOTE=marshallvike;1122090]Sorry for your loss VKG, and prayers to his family.[/QUOTE

    Thanks Marshall.

    I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

  10. #20
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,601
    Blog Entries
    1
    Interesting. Now the real question is how does Spielman's track record compare to that of the rest of the league. I don't have the time to do the research, but my guess is that it is about average. I posted in another thread all of the draft picks from 2006 on, and about 30% of them were decent value picks for the spot selected. That is pretty good IMHO. It probably drops off a little if you just go 2007 an on, but then again, many players don't come into their own until year three or four, so that is a hard analysis.

    A lot of people complain about Spielman, and I understand it - but at the same time, I don't know if we are holding him to a decent standard or not. I think that last year was the first draft that he truly put his stamp on, and it is too early to tell with that class. I think Ponder and Rudolph have the most chance of turning into above average players. Ballard looked good and bad at times... but the rest I couldn't pick out of a crowd. I think I saw Burton in a couple of games, and I remember Mistryl (sp?) Raymond breaking the Vikings INT dry spell against Washington last year. But the rest of the names I don't even recognize. Doesn't mean anything at this point though - they probably didn't see the field their rookie year.

    So that puts us at 3 out of 10 with potential (which is coincidentally 30%)... Seems par for the course to me.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •