Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

Analysis of Spielmans questionable vikings draft record

I did some quick and dirty analysis and here's what it shows... Although Spielman can't be solely held accountable for this ridiculous draft history he did have a part in it.....

Spielman came in 2007 and in that time out of 36 draft picks, he's selected 11 starters. 1 is not on the team anymore, and 2 are starting due to injury.

1. AP (2007)
    2. Sid Rice (2007) - No longer with team
    3. Brian Robison (2007)
    4. John Sullivan (2008)
    5. Percy Harvin (2009)
    6. Phil Loadholt (2009)
    7. Jamarca Sanford (2009) - Questionable starter
    8. Chris Cook (2010)
    9. Christian Ponder (2011)
    10. Kyle Rudolph (2011)
    11. Mistral Raymond (2011) - Shouldn't be starting

3 picks not included in above total went toward Jaren Allen in 2008.

Additionally, 8 of those 36 are consistent contributors on the team.

1. Letroy Guion (2008) - may start
    2. Asher Allen (2009)
    3. Jasper Brinkley (2009) - might start this year
    4. Toby Gerhart (2010)
    5. Everson Griffen (2010)
    6. Joe Webb (2010)
    7. Christian Ballard (2011)
    8. Brandon Burton (2011)

Lastly, and probably more troubling, there is exactly two starters and possibly four potential starters were drafted by us past the fourth round.

if you take away the no-brainer stars and potential stars by Spielman and Company such as Adrian Peterson, Percy Harvin, Kyle Rudolph (man, I thought there would be more) it gets worse... I like Ponder, but he's far from a potential star and many think Joe Webb is a better option at QB..

Here is a breakdown by position
    4 Quarter Backs - 2 have potential 50%
    3 Offensive Tackles - 1 starter 33%
    2 Centers - 1 starter 50%
    2 Running Backs - both good 100%
    2 Tight Ends - Both good 100%
    6 Wide Receivers - 2 starters 1 lost to FA 17%

4 Defensive Ends - 3 are good 75%
    4 Corner Backs - 1 is competent 25% (asher allen sucks sorry!!)
    1 Defensive Tackles - Guion gets his chance --%
    5 Linebackers - 1 starter 25% 1 converted to FB
    3 Safetys - 1 starter all are bad 33%

all in all, basically Spielman knows how to draft RB's, TE's and DE's. The remaining positions he has sucked balls at....

Bottom line, along with poor coaching this is how a team goes 3-13.
    Last edited by bleedpurple; 04-11-2012 at 02:40 PM.

KevinK is offline Starter
    Well.... he did have 2 Rookie of the Year picks........?

And I must say he could have paid Sidney Rice......to much money.

At least Spielman let Sidney go, he is too injury prone and only had 1 good year in 2009, not worth the $$$ and then he goes to Seattle and got injuried again and barely played

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by bleedpurple View Post
    I did some quick and dirty analysis and here's what it shows... Although Spielman can't be solely held accountable for this ridiculous draft history he did have a part in it.....

Spielman came in 2007 and in that time out of 36 draft picks, he's selected 11 starters. 1 is not on the team anymore, and 2 are starting due to injury.

1. AP (2007)
    2. Sid Rice (2007) - No longer with team
    3. Brian Robison (2007)
    4. John Sullivan (2008)
    5. Percy Harvin (2009)
    6. Phil Loadholt (2009)
    7. Jamarca Sanford (2009) - Questionable starter
    8. Chris Cook (2010)
    9. Christian Ponder (2011)
    10. Kyle Rudolph (2011)
    11. Mistral Raymond (2011) - Shouldn't be starting

3 picks not included in above total went toward Jaren Allen in 2008.

Additionally, 8 of those 36 are consistent contributors on the team.

1. Letroy Guion (2008) - may start
    2. Asher Allen (2009)
    3. Jasper Brinkley (2009) - might start this year
    4. Toby Gerhart (2010)
    5. Everson Griffen (2010)
    6. Joe Webb (2010)
    7. Christian Ballard (2011)
    8. Brandon Burton (2011)

Lastly, and probably more troubling, there is exactly two starters and possibly four potential starters were drafted by us past the fourth round.

if you take away the no-brainer stars and potential stars by Spielman and Company such as Adrian Peterson, Percy Harvin, Kyle Rudolph (man, I thought there would be more) it gets worse... I like Ponder, but he's far from a potential star and many think Joe Webb is a better option at QB..

Here is a breakdown by position
    4 Quarter Backs - 2 have potential 50%
    3 Offensive Tackles - 1 starter 33%
    2 Centers - 1 starter 50%
    2 Running Backs - both good 100%
    2 Tight Ends - Both good 100%
    6 Wide Receivers - 2 starters 1 lost to FA 17%

4 Defensive Ends - 3 are good 75%
    4 Corner Backs - 1 is competent 25% (asher allen sucks sorry!!)
    1 Defensive Tackles - Guion gets his chance --%
    5 Linebackers - 1 starter 25% 1 converted to FB
    3 Safetys - 1 starter all are bad 33%

all in all, basically Spielman knows how to draft RB's, TE's and DE's. The remaining positions he has sucked balls at....

Bottom line, along with poor coaching this is how a team goes 3-13.
    Nice research.
    I do have to mention though, that I was reading the Sporting News Draft Edition last week. There was something that caught my attention. They listed how each team hadd done over the last three years in the draft. How many picks, how many starers from those picks, and how many on the team. I was very surprised to see that most teams were in the same boat in that they had 2-2 1/2 starters per draft on their team. Very few had drafted 3 starters per year over the last three years, no matter how many picks they had in the draft. I still think you build thru the draft, but I understand it is not possible to build solely thru the draft.
    As far as Spielmillen is concerned, I am willing to give him a little (very little) slack. I do not think he had much authority when Chilly was here.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

VKG4LFE is online now Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion
    Nice research.
    I do have to mention though, that I was reading the Sporting News Draft Edition last week. There was something that caught my attention. They listed how each team hadd done over the last three years in the draft. How many picks, how many starers from those picks, and how many on the team. I was very surprised to see that most teams were in the same boat in that they had 2-2 1/2 starters per draft on their team. Very few had drafted 3 starters per year over the last three years, no matter how many picks they had in the draft. I still think you build thru the draft, but I understand it is not possible to build solely thru the draft.
    As far as Spielmillen is concerned, I am willing to give him a little (very little) slack. I do not think he had much authority when Chilly was here.

I agree marshall, we can't go in expecting to draft 7 players each year that will be solid starters for us. We aren't the only team in the NFL that struggles at times with the draft, but we have also hit some gems IMO. Try being a Cincy fan (prior to this year) or a Cleveland Browns fan, what have they really had? Granted I don't want the vikes to be categorized with those teams in any facet of the game, but it could be worse!

Marshall, being from Naperville have you ever heard of Shaun Wild?

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Just because 11 of them happen to be starting, doesn't mean they're good proven players. It simply means they're starting because that's the best we have at that position.

Of those 11, how many would you claim are good, proven starters? I'd say 5-6.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by VKG4LFE View Post
    Nice research.

I agree marshall, we can't go in expecting to draft 7 players each year that will be solid starters for us. We aren't the only team in the NFL that struggles at times with the draft, but we have also hit some gems IMO. Try being a Cincy fan (prior to this year) or a Cleveland Browns fan, what have they really had? Granted I don't want the vikes to be categorized with those teams in any facet of the game, but it could be worse!

Yeah. That was a very messed up situation. Downtown Naperville is a very safe place to hang out,(you just don't want to drive when you go drinking there), so it was shocking for the whole town. Absolutely no reason for what happened. A friend of mine was working there that night as an assistant manager. He was telling me about it. The asshat who stabbed him must have been looking for some type of trouble. No other reason for him to have a knife. As I said it is a very safe place to hang out. I felt pretty bad for everyone involved that night. And a man died just trying to calm down a situation. We are not used to that around here.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by VKG4LFE View Post
    Nice research.

I don't think you can trash talk the Bengals anymore. They are going to be good with AJ and Andy.
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Just because 11 of them happen to be starting, doesn't mean they're good proven players. It simply means they're starting because that's the best we have at that position.

Of those 11, how many would you claim are good, proven starters? I'd say 5-6.

Thanks Singer... That's the point I was trying to state without being overly negative... But yeah, 2-3 of those guys were no brainer picks... esp. early in the draft... but aside from that.. We haven't drafted well at all... the other half of those guys we drafted have no business starting... Not to mention, we have NO depth behind those guys that are starting but have no business starting...

It almost looks like, based on what we have done so far in free agency and the draft, is that he is taking the statistical modern-day baseball "MONEY-BALL" approach... getting low end cheap talent around your stars to improve the team... signing / drafting bonafide special teamers instead of starters...

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by bleedpurple View Post
    Thanks Singer... That's the point I was trying to state without being overly negative... But yeah, 2-3 of those guys were no brainer picks... esp. early in the draft...
    I'm assuming you mean AD. That was hardly a "no-brainer" pick. There were some at the draft party (including me) who wanted Brady Quinn. (Yes, I know that was stupid). But let me ask you this - would you rather have AD right now or Patrick Willis? How about Darrelle Revis? Both of those guys were drafted after AD.

2007 NFL Draft Listing - Pro-Football-Reference.com

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast