Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainviking View Post
    We don't need another slow possesion guy. Jenkins has that covered with reliable hands and blocking. We also have two large, slow TEs who are possession type guys. What we need is a true, vertical threat. Perhaps, Childs can be that guy, or he could be just another Williamson type with speed but no hands...?

I'm far from convinced that we will get a true deep threat in the 2nd or later.
    I think we can get a deep threat in the third. I have watched Tommy Streeter and he has the speed and the hands to be a true #1 receiver in the NFL. My draft haschanged since March and my first three players would be:

1. Kalil - obvious reasons
    2. LaVante David - His stock is rising, he is an undersized Lb out of Nebraska. I am a big Nebraska fan ( I have watched him play for two years) and he is an instinctive hard hitting Lb, who more improtantly, is a playmaker on D. He has great speed and can run with Tes and Rbs, he has pro bowl potential.
    3. Tommy Streeter - speed and the hands to be a true #1 receiver in the NFL. That is my draft for us in the first three rounds, as of right now.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

I want Ryan Broyles in the 2nd round, while it may be too high, I am afraid he will be taken sooner

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Here's my latest brainstorm on Alternate Draft Strategy: Make a move for Mike Wallace.

He's only got 3 years of tread on him, ie. still has plenty future to grow into. He's averaged over 18 yards a catch over that time along with nearly 60 catches/year and 8TD/year! I've heard him referred to as, "the fastest player in the NFL." In short, he is exactly the WR that the Vikings need, only not a questionable draft pick, but a proven vet.

Mike Wallace, WR for the Pittsburgh Steelers at NFL.com

And, the Steelers can't afford to keep him. Next year, he'll be UNrestricted FA. Antonio Brown will be at the end of his first contract, but a RFA. They can't keep both unless they demolish their vet defense and they know it. Furthermore, as a RFA he can be had by just signing him a fat contract and forking over a 1st round pick, but the only teams that are likely to do that are late picks, ie, already pretty solid teams that the Steelers really don't want to help out, like the Pats, Ravens, Texans, Broncos, maybe even Bengals or Jets.

And he's scheduled to only make 2.5 mill this year on his tender, and he's not happy about it. At this point in the off season, he's likely to be a lot happier with a more reasonable contract than his reported request of "Fitzgerald Money."

So I say, offer a swap of our 2nds this year, and perhaps, a 3rd next year...I'd give them our 2nd next year too, but I kinda feel both sides are sorta backed into a corner, so might as well offer less to start.

We get a bonafide vertical threat and still have our first to upgrade LT in a big way! What do ya say!???
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion
    We don't need another slow possesion guy. Jenkins has that covered with reliable hands and blocking. We also have two large, slow TEs who are possession type guys. What we need is a true, vertical threat. Perhaps, Childs can be that guy, or he could be just another Williamson type with speed but no hands...?

I'm far from convinced that we will get a true deep threat in the 2nd or later.

Totally agree!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman
    Here's my latest brainstorm on Alternate Draft Strategy: Make a move for Mike Wallace.

He's only got 3 years of tread on him, ie. still has plenty future to grow into. He's averaged over 18 yards a catch over that time along with nearly 60 catches/year and 8TD/year! I've heard him referred to as, "the fastest player in the NFL." In short, he is exactly the WR that the Vikings need, only not a questionable draft pick, but a proven vet.

Mike Wallace, WR for the Pittsburgh Steelers at NFL.com

And, the Steelers can't afford to keep him. Next year, he'll be UNrestricted FA. Antonio Brown will be at the end of his first contract, but a RFA. They can't keep both unless they demolish their vet defense and they know it. Furthermore, as a RFA he can be had by just signing him a fat contract and forking over a 1st round pick, but the only teams that are likely to do that are late picks, ie, already pretty solid teams that the Steelers really don't want to help out, like the Pats, Ravens, Texans, Broncos, maybe even Bengals or Jets.

And he's scheduled to only make 2.5 mill this year on his tender, and he's not happy about it. At this point in the off season, he's likely to be a lot happier with a more reasonable contract than his reported request of "Fitzgerald Money."

So I say, offer a swap of our 2nds this year, and perhaps, a 3rd next year...I'd give them our 2nd next year too, but I kinda feel both sides are sorta backed into a corner, so might as well offer less to start.

We get a bonafide vertical threat and still have our first to upgrade LT in a big way! What do ya say!???
    I say if you want to do that we can trade with someone in the high 20's and give them our second and one of our thirds (a lower one) and give Pitts. that # 1 pick. We only have to fork over a #1 so we could save draft choices by getting one way late in round1. I like the idea though, he is just what we need and as I have said before a WR in the draft is one position that has big bust/reward. I think more than any other position, QB may be close though. So to get a proven #1 and with great speed and decent hands I am all for it.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by tarkenton10 View Post
    I say if you want to do that we can trade with someone in the high 20's and give them our second and one of our thirds (a lower one) and give Pitts. that # 1 pick. We only have to fork over a #1 so we could save draft choices by getting one way late in round1. I like the idea though, he is just what we need and as I have said before a WR in the draft is one position that has big bust/reward. I think more than any other position, QB may be close though. So to get a proven #1 and with great speed and decent hands I am all for it.
    The biggest problem I see is the contract. Maybe not Fitz money but likely over 10 million a year, with most of it guaranteed. Compared to a late first round rookie that probably costs less than 2 million, and is potentially just as good.
    Then again we have the cap room, they could probably even structure the deal so he takes a bulk of his contract against this years cap, making his future cap hit much more reasonable.
    I'm not sure how this would work exactly though, as it would all have to go down during the draft. Teams are going to be hesitant to trade their first round pick until they know who is available. Not sure what the process is to claim someone, but I wouldn't think you could just hand the steelers the pick while they are already on the clock.

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by tarkenton10 View Post
    I've thought about that a lot too.. Problem is he wants to be paid like Fitzgerald.... and we have to re-up Harvin next year... There's no way we can have $20M invested in 2 wr's.... that's an insane amount of money to pay...

So, while it sounds good.. it's a pipe dream!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12