Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    Does Load give up the sacks or does the TE that is over there that is supposed to help him.

In the end, our OL is set, regardless of how you still don't like it and I think it will be fine. What I still want to know is what (how fricken many) schemes will our O-Line coach run this year, 1, 2, 3, 4????? My guess, you cut that down to 2 and you won't see as many penalties out of a guy like Load.

If you don't, my guess, you will be beeeyyyyatching this time next year on how bad a pick kalil was because of the number of penalties we see out of him.

In the end, it won't because of talent (i.e. Load) that these guys won't perform, it will be because of coaching. Nothing more, nothing less, regardless of what you seem to think. (....snicker....)
    We gave up 49 sacks last year. Of the 49, Loadholt gave up 9.5 of them.

You thought our OL was fine the last two years as well when in fact, it wasn't. When you give up that many sacks & your star running back is constantly getting nailed behind the line of scrimmage, there's a problem with the OL.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

LOL, Mel Kiper.......You crack me up.

I for one trust what the teams did more than I trust some yutz like Kiper.

Kiper also said the Vikings needed a warpig. :P

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    LOL, just more proof he doesn't know what the hell he is talking about. I know some other yutz who has been on that band wagon for 4 years and to date we haven't got one.

Well played by the way.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni
    I loved the segment when McShay and Dilfer abused Kiper about how much of a punk loser Burfict is... Kiper was high on Burfict and they peppered him with, ah, no, 17 personal fouls, never interested in the Team, alienated almost every team during the interview process, not a good teammate...production regressed dramatically from one year to the next.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

We gave up 49 sacks last year. Of the 49, Loadholt gave up 9.5 of them.

You thought our OL was fine the last two years as well when in fact, it wasn't. When you give up that many sacks & your star running back is constantly getting nailed behind the line of scrimmage, there's a problem with the OL.
    There is a difference between fine, great and shit. I say fine based on were they were graded out (13th to 15th) 2010 and 2011. 2012 was a whole nuther story, but it was mostly related to our new O-line coaches insistence on running 4 different blocking schemes and they still graded out 19th overall in the league and they didn't look to bad when you compare them with actual QB hits.

If ole Musgrove would have put a few more WR's on the field, spreading the defenses out a bit, my guess is that not only would the hits go down, but so would alot of the sacks and that doesn't even get into the coaching....

Advanced NFL Stats - Offensive Line Statistics

Seriously, it was such a mess I actually saw Hutch pulling to spots that didn't even have a guy there to block. When that happens (HOF'r confused) you can't point the finger at the players, well, unless you just don't know any better, but have to look someplace else.

Again, answer my question. Who really gave up the sack? Saying the sack came from that end (LT), only puts the blame on the position, and not what really happened. I bet atleast 3 or 4 of them were a direct result of him starting to pull based on play call.

That my friend is coaching, not talent.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by MaxVike View Post
    I loved the segment when McShay and Dilfer abused Kiper about how much of a punk loser Burfict is... Kiper was high on Burfict and they peppered him with, ah, no, 17 personal fouls, never interested in the Team, alienated almost every team during the interview process, not a good teammate...production regressed dramatically from one year to the next.
    I would have almost watch ESPN to see that my friend. Truth is, they have such shit coverage I didn't even turn them on. Watch NFLN the whole time.

Continue to develop the young talent you drafted last year and the year before instead of wasting a pick on talent that is at least 2 or 3 years behind what you have.
    So with your line of thinking, what you're saying is the Vikings wasted picks on 2 CB's & a S when they should be developing Raymond, Sanford, Asher Allen & Burton?

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    I think you're missing something if you see 3 open spots on our OL...Kalil is LT, most likely moving Charlie to LG, a position he's much better suited for, Sully is set in the middle, and Load has 1 more year to prove he's worth keeping. That leaves us with only RG as an open spot and a pile of players competing for it: DeGeare, Berger, Fusco, Schwartz, and Butch Lewis (whoever that is.) I see Schwartz as our multi-spot backup and insurance for the Load, but we also have D.Love, P.Brown and Valdez as OT competition too.

I too was hoping we'd move up for Rueben Randle in the late 2nd, but it would have cost us our 3rd, speedy CB/return guy Robinson, AND our first fourth, speedy-shifty WR Wright. Over the past ten+ years our secondary has consistently graded out as one of the worst in the league. I, for one, am stoked with the additions we made to correct that.

True, the FB/TE hybrid seemed a bit early, and really, I thought it was the Chiller who collected those guys!?

But, he does give us some of the Jimmy we're missing. From NFL.com:

Ellison is a reliable blocker, both in-line and out of the backfield. He displays the same consistency in his pass-catching skills, both out of backfield and working upfield...a physical player who can bring a workman-like attitude to the facility.
    Sounds like a great, blue-collar fit for the Vikes, and remember, we lost two TEs and only signed one. Just like Jimmy, he just won't run very far with the ball in his hands.

After addressing our other needs first (and then watching some video), I loved pairing up the dangerous WR duo in the 4th!!! Both played 4 years, so they've got experience in Petrino's passing system with strong armed Mallet and his shorter passes replacement. Both WRs have timed in the low 4.4s and Wright ran the best 3-cone drill of the combine! They already have chemistry, and their strengths and weaknesses happen to be great complements to each other. The big Man-Childs has the size to shield defenders from the ball and out leap them to make the catch, and runs with some serious power and balance once he secures the ball while the lil one has incredible, quick-twitch feet in the short area game to get him open and the speed to slice through the secondary for lots of YAC.

Jarius Wright vs Texas A&M 2011 - YouTube

Greg Childs - YouTube

All in all, I love this draft! Filled the biggest holes first with BPA type picks, got a good chance of value with our WR picks in the fourth and then added some nice special teams depth with potential to develop in the later rounds. Blanton is smart with good size, but not instinctive or very fast. Our coaching staff's strength would seem to be coaching up DBs, maybe they can make a starting caliber saftey or good nickel out of him yet. Cole gives us some backup at MLB where we need more of a run plugger anyway since that guy will be replaced with the nickel back on passing downs. Guyton might provide some rotational reps if he can make the team, and that's about all you can ask for from a late 7th round pick.

Nice Job Spielman! Now its up to the coaches to make it work.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame
    So with your line of thinking, what you're saying is the Vikings wasted picks on 2 CB's & a S when they should be developing Raymond, Sanford, Asher Allen & Burton?
    LOL.. I hope not!!!.. those guys have no business on a roster... let alone starting on one...

I would probably say what young talent....??? lol....

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman
    I don't know enough about the WR to say how good of a pick that was.

Outside of that, I didn't like the FB pick at all.

We lost two G's this offseason (Hutch & Hererra) & needed to address that. 2 of Mel's top 4 remaining players were OG's. Troy Brown & Brandon Washington. There was an OT as his #5 as well.

I felt the pick would have better been spent on Brown.
    Singers you just wrote:

All those draft picks & we couldn't trade up in the 2nd or 3rd to draft a WR? WTF!!!!

Spielman may have looked good on day 1 of the draft, but looked like a turd on day 2.

Now he drafts one and you still get mad. did you even know you wrote that? You sound like you will never be happy with Spielman. You want a WR and we draft a corner so you complain and wonder why we didn't draft a WR. Then we get one round later and now you are complaining because there were lineman on the board. That is a little confusing to me, I guess that's all!!

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast