Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

4th Round Thoughts

I don't know enough about the WR to say how good of a pick that was.

Outside of that, I didn't like the FB pick at all.

We lost two G's this offseason (Hutch & Hererra) & needed to address that. 2 of Mel's top 4 remaining players were OG's. Troy Brown & Brandon Washington. There was an OT as his #5 as well.

I felt the pick would have better been spent on Brown.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Wright is a speedster. Great in beating the zones. Problem are beating the jam and initial press coverages. The problem with that is that regulates him to the slot. We already have one of those.

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries
    Both the WR we selected are short passing guys, dink and dunk offense..

We needed someone who can play the outside reciever spot or else we are going to spend the whole year seing Aromashudo doing it and i don't want that..

Childs also has major injury concerns with a knee injury that has slowed his production in a major way.. I would have liked Juron Criner over these guys..

The FB/TE is a pass-blocker type of guy who is a replacement for Kleinasser proberly, but i don't get it, because we signed Carlson, Shuler, Asiate, Hilliard, Felton in free agency who covers either TE and FB.. It was not a need like LB, S or WR..

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by skum View Post

We needed someone who can play the outside reciever spot or else we are going to spend the whole year seing Aromashudo doing it and i don't want that..

Childs also has major injury concerns with a knee injury that has slowed his production in a major way.. I would have liked Juron Criner over these guys..

The FB/TE is a pass-blocker type of guy who is a replacement for Kleinasser proberly, but i don't get it, because we signed Carlson, Shuler, Asiate, Hilliard, Felton in free agency who covers either TE and FB.. It was not a need like LB, S or WR..
    Childs came back too early and it hurt his production. Add to the fact that Wright and Adams burst unto the scene and he was used less and less. However, he started to get healthy as the season went on and ran well at his proday.

ConnecticutViking is offline Pro-Bowler
    Not loving our 4th round at all! FB? we could have used a G, MLB, WR, DT, S in that spot? The two WR we picked are scout team heroes. IDK, this is only my thought.

smegmavike is offline Coach
    Spielman seems to be sticking to his board which I like. Picking based solely on need in the late rounds is less successful than taking BPA.
    Can't fill all the holes in one draft.
    I do like the fact he saved a 4th round pick for next year.
    He's building a foundation through the draft. In a year or two he will have less holes to plug and have the salary cap under better control. That's when he will be more aggressive in free agency.

I think Spielman is sticking to a formula that will work. But it's going to take some time.

Who thought we were going to be a playoff team this year anyway?

We will be a better team than last year and a playoff contender one or two years later.

Freakout is offline Coordinator
    Blog Entries
    Childs ran 4.39 40 on his Pro-Day with a 40 inch vertical.

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    I don't know enough about the WR to say how good of a pick that was.

Outside of that, I didn't like the FB pick at all.

We lost two G's this offseason (Hutch & Hererra) & needed to address that. 2 of Mel's top 4 remaining players were OG's. Troy Brown & Brandon Washington. There was an OT as his #5 as well.

I felt the pick would have better been spent on Brown.
    Is that James Brown from Troy the tackle projected to be a guard...thats still available and the fifth round is just about over?

iowa is online now Rookie
    Love the Arkansas wideouts,Childs is an athletic freak and Wright is a burner who can stretch the field, not crazy about taking Ellison where we did, good player but a little early and not as big of a need as other positions.
    None

hogfan is offline Waterboy
    Quote Originally Posted by skum View Post

With all due respect, the Bobby Petrino pro-style offense we ran at Arkansas was far from dink and dunk. Childs was the beast of the trio of receivers (Wright, Adams, Childs) his freshmen and soph years.

Childs was the outside receiver that could go deep and get the jump ball. He's a physical receiver. With Ryan Mallett at QB, dink and dunk was the last thing we did. If anything, Joe Adams was the bubble screen, slot guy that we used to get out in space. Before his injury, Childs was up there with Julio Jones of Bama and AJ Green of Georgia as the top 3 receivers in the SEC. His junior year was cut short due to the injury (prior to his junior year, we all knew he was coming out early), and he rushed back to play for his senior year. Near the end of the year he started looking like his old form after the first half of the year playing very tentative.

Once Mallett left and Tyler Wilson took over, we lost the Mallett arm strength that could get the ball to the far and deep outside. Wilson fell in love with Wright as the speed receiver running the deep seam routes. I can't count how many receptions Wright had 25+ yards up field between the hashes, and he has great hands.

Obviously I'm a hog fan and want our guys to do well. I'm not here to say they're both going to be all pro. Who the heck knows. But we didn't run the typical dink and dunk spread that has taken over college football. That wasn't Petrino's offense.

I think Wright could do good things for the Vikings. I think Childs, once he gets completely healthy and I think he's there, could be a very solid receiver for your team for years to come.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast