Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    iowa is offline Rookie
    I like what the Vikes are doing,they got good prospects at positions of need.It would have been nice to get one of the "big name" w.r'r. but you can only do so much with the picks you have.I'm glad they didn't give up picks to move up, we need lots of help so the more young talent we can bring in the better.Still some good prospects at wide out like mcnutt, childs, toon not to mention lb's and dt, other areas we HAVE to address.
    None

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by 12purplepride28 View Post
    Samuel had a huge salary and some weird trade clause in his contract. And Spielman hardly looked like a turd. We have 1 pick in each round, basically. We took LT, and started to fix our secondary. We can't trade our comp picks and it would've taken a lot to trade up into the second. No GM can get everything perfect and if you expect that then you are going to be disappointed no matter who we get back there.
    Well according to those who didn't want us to pick up any good veteran players via FA & wanted us to do everything in the way of rebuilding via the draft, Spielman would have to do just that to plug all our holes.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    I wasn't targeting any WR in particular, but after our 2nd pick & prior to our 3rd round pick at #66 there must have been a WR there that we could have grabbed with our 3rd & a 4th as trade or even a WR with our #66 pick.

I didn't see a big need to get another DB at #66 before grabbing a WR.

Did you know Asante Samuel was traded for a 7th round pick? He would have given us some much needed help in the backfield.
    Yeah and he also got 18.5 over 3 years, we already have Winny as a cb as a vet leader Samuel doesn't really excite me, sure he was a probowler as was Winfield but watching what teams like the Eagles, Redskins and Falcons have done moving picks or cash for playoff wins isn't what I'm looking at for now as they have got that yet. Not looking for flashes this year and would rather have cap carryover next year to fill holes when the team is closer to just a few players away than trying to fill the roster with bigger names in the latter years of their career.

Quote Originally Posted by ConnecticutViking View Post
    Whatever we can't/don't address in the draft we can get through Free Agency/Trades
    You do realize that most of the great FA players are already signed don't you?

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    You do realize that most of the great FA players are already signed don't you?
    I've come to terms with the fact the Vikings aren't going to be great for a few years

Quote Originally Posted by vikinggreg View Post
    Yeah and he also got 18.5 over 3 years, we already have Winny as a cb as a vet leader Samuel doesn't really excite me, sure he was a probowler as was Winfield but watching what teams like the Eagles, Redskins and Falcons have done moving picks or cash for playoff wins isn't what I'm looking at for now as they have got that yet. Not looking for flashes this year and would rather have cap carryover next year to fill holes when the team is closer to just a few players away than trying to fill the roster with bigger names in the latter years of their career.
    I can go along with that considering the cap, but I didn't see the big need to draft another CB before addressing our WR needs. We could have been OK with Smith, Winfield, Cook & Carr for this year & add another DB latter in the draft or next year.

I don't watch a lot of college football, so I'm not aware of all the talent out there, so my question is this;

Was Robinson the BPA over any of the WR's available at #66?

Ranger is offline Coach
    We're not going to plug holes with the rest of the draft, I'd say. Typically the following rounds are going to be for depth, developmental players and special teams contributors. It's not like you have ten picks and will score five starters, even on a team as bad as the Vikings.

We've probably landed two starters and a dime corner, and we're probably not going to get much else. If we went receiver, it'll probably be a guy that is fourth on the depth chart.

It will be a long rebuilding process, but if the Vikings score another two starters in next year's draft, then we might start cooking with fire.

Ranger is offline Coach
    I can go along with that considering the cap, but I didn't see the big need to draft another CB before addressing our WR needs. We could have been OK with Smith, Winfield, Cook & Carr for this year & add another DB latter in the draft or next year.

I don't watch a lot of college football, so I'm not aware of all the talent out there, so my question is this;

Was Robinson the BPA over any of the WR's available at #66?
    The best two were Floyd and Blackmon, and after that there was a bunch of drop offs. Blackmon and Floyd were rated below the top to receivers taken last year, as well.

The corner has more potential than the remaining receivers on the board, from what we know NOW.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    The best two were Floyd and Blackmon, and after that there was a bunch of drop offs. Blackmon and Floyd were rated below the top to receivers taken last year, as well.

The corner has more potential than the remaining receivers on the board, from what we know NOW.
    Correction, Blackmon would be rated higher than Jones.

Ranger is offline Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    Correction, Blackmon would be rated higher than Jones.
    Really? I haven't read anything that said Blackmon was considered a better prospect than Jones.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast