Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    Quote Originally Posted by nogathomasmillarddoleman View Post
    You're not serious, right??
    5 yrs. 25 mil. ????
    Just stupid, end of story!!!
    It's absolutely a stupid contract. Anyone who thinks otherwise doesn't understand what they're talking about. He might 'fit' what we're looking need (we actually need a blocking TE, not a pass-catching TE), but that contract is so f*cking stupid it's mind boggling.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by nogathomasmillarddoleman View Post
    You're not serious, right??
    5 yrs. 25 mil. ????
    Just stupid, end of story!!!
    With $11 guaranteed. His base salary is probably only about $3 million this year. It's not that much of a cap hit. Mind you, we gave Bryan Robison 3 years $14.5 million and $6.5million guaranteed. This is effectively the same contract scaled up by 2 years. I really don't see a problem with the money we gave him.

The injuries no one can deny, but the contract is not a problem.

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Anderson View Post
    With $11 guaranteed. His base salary is probably only about $3 million this year. It's not that much of a cap hit. Mind you, we gave Bryan Robison 3 years $14.5 million and $6.5million guaranteed. This is effectively the same contract scaled up by 2 years. I really don't see a problem with the money we gave him.

The injuries no one can deny, but the contract is not a problem.
    Robison is a starter...

You're essentially saying you're okay that our backup TE is getting paid the same amount as our starting DE?
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

Ranger is offline Coach
    There are only a few things that would make it "okay", in my mind. He'd have to play a significant percentage of reps, and perform very well. He'd have to have improved his pass blocking. Essentially, we'd have to have a Gronk/Hernandez situation, which isn't going to happen. He's a good player, but we paid too much for what we were going to use him for. If we didn't have Rudy, it'd be a different story.

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    We'll be the Patriots 2.0! Rudolph/Carlson can be wayyyy better than Gronk/Hernandez easily. And Ponder is way more mobile than Brady so he's already better than him.
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mac D View Post
    Robison is a starter...

You're essentially saying you're okay that our backup TE is getting paid the same amount as our starting DE?
    For one, it's March. We don't know who's going to start where. Two, when Robison got the contract, he didn't have starting experience - he was signed as a projection to fill the the spot Edwards left behind. And three, we run so many 2 TE sets Carlson will be getting starter-like playing time even if he's not #1 on the depth chart.

He might end up being cheaper than Shiancoe, who hasn't done shit besides 2008 and 2009. We paid Shiancoe $18 million over 5 years in 2007, and he was far less proven than Carlson. Who, to be fair, hasn't put up huge numbers with Seattle. Probably because he played for Seattle. But he's 6'5" and has great hands. If he can stay healthy I think he could easily outplay this contract. He was the #38 overall draft pick 4 years ago for a reason. If you put Gronkowski or Vernon Davis on those Seattle teams and they might not even succeed.

We also don't know what this contract entails. It could be heavily incentive based or optioned to account for his potential injury.
    Last edited by Mr Anderson; 03-14-2012 at 09:03 PM.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Anderson View Post
    For one, it's March. We don't know who's going to start where. Two, when Robison got the contract, he didn't have starting experience - he was signed as a projection to fill the the spot Edwards left behind. And three, we run so many 2 TE sets Carlson will be getting starter-like playing time even if he's not #1 on the depth chart.

He might end up being cheaper than Shiancoe, who hasn't done shit besides 2008 and 2009. We paid Shiancoe $18 million over 5 years in 2007, and he was far less proven than Carlson. Who, to be fair, hasn't put up huge numbers with Seattle. Probably because he played for Seattle. But he's 6'5" and has great hands. If he can stay healthy I think he could easily outplay this contract. He was the #38 overall draft pick 4 years ago for a reason. If you put Gronkowski or Vernon Davis on those Seattle teams and they might not even succeed.

We also don't know what this contract entails. It could be heavily incentive based or optioned to account for his potential injury.
    Did you guys watch the games last year?
    Are you delusional? Don't worry, I'll help draw a picture.
    Rudolph -26 catches 249 yards
    Shank -36 catches 409 yards

Our team is now down a star running back and our defense has been dismantled.
    Even if Rudolph and Carson double those numbers. Its a bad signing. The guy had 627 YARDS when he was the only option for a team. We could have gotten a more athletic M. Bennett for a fraction of the cost. Either we wasted a 2nd round pick on a TE who is now a back up, or we wasted 25 million on a backup TE,
    Rudolph - 818
    Carlson - 500

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    Did you guys watch the games last year?
    Are you delusional? Don't worry, I'll help draw a picture.
    Rudolph -26 catches 249 yards
    Shank -36 catches 409 yards
    And yet Rudolph seems more talented than Shank. He was barely used early on, my bet it was adjusting to the game and learning the playbook. I fully expect Rudolph to have a big year, maybe not as big as Shanks 09 year, but possibly more yards.
    Our team is now down a star running back and our defense has been dismantled.
    Even if Rudolph and Carson double those numbers. Its a bad signing. The guy had 627 YARDS when he was the only option for a team. We could have gotten a more athletic M. Bennett for a fraction of the cost.
    Bennett is a waste of roster space. He has underperformed since he was drafted
    Either we wasted a 2nd round pick on a TE who is now a back up, or we wasted 25 million on a backup TE,
    Rudolph - 818
    Carlson - 500
    Talk about not knowing the facts. We didn't waste 25 million. We at most wasted 11 million if he turns out to be a complete waste... over 5 years. so 2.25 mil per year. Wanna know Shiancoe's contract numbers? Base salary adds up to 5-year, 11.2 million. Add another 7 mil in signing bonuses then other incentives, the guaranteed money is the same for a younger, possibly more talented player.

Formo is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mac D View Post
    Robison is a starter...

He's not a back up. When looking at the stats of our TE sets from last year, the Vikings tight ends combined to play 1,684 snaps last season. That's 1.62 per offensive play. So, yes, they need more than one on the roster. Meaning, both him and Rudolph will be playing a ton.

I'm not jacked about the signing either, but like Mr. A said, the problem isn't the money/contract.
    Vegans are eating the rainforests. =(

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Kevon's just mad we haven't traded for Desean Jackson, signed Mike Vick and traded up for RGIII as well. Mad an non-sexy contributing position is being reinforced.

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast