Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 34567 15 ... LastLast
    C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    Quote Originally Posted by VikesfaninWis View Post
    It's not like the Vikings will be significantly better in 3 years with drafting players only. They have a history of screwing up the drafts (ie:Williamson, trading up for a no name QB named Tarvaris Jackson) but they also got some things right (AD, Harvin)..

The problem here is, if you don't add some good free agents with these rookies, by the time the rookies hone their skills, guys like AD, Harvin, and Allen will be on the tail ends of their careers, then they have to start completely over.

I feel bad for a guy like Matt Kalil (if the Vikings indeed draft him) for having to come to a team that is in complete shambles, having to protect a 2nd year QB with absolutely no help from the rest of the OL (releasing 2 starting guards in Hutch and Herrera)

What will that do for a RB like AD that is coming back from a horrible injury when he has no holes to run through? What will the offense be like when Ponder has no protection and nobody but Harvin to throw to?

Long story short, this team is going to suck horribly. I tell you one thing, this will be the first time in the 20+ years that I have been a fan of this team that I will not be wearing a single thing Vikings related here in Green Bay. I can take ridicule with the best of them, but I refuse to take it when the Vikings have the means to get better and all they do is sit on their asses and looked stupid. Can't do it. I can't wait for the day that Spielman and Frazier are fired. Neither one has a clue what they are doing in their respective positions.
    When talking about the Vikings draft history, Peterson and Harvin are the only two positives anyone can mention... and they FELL IN OUR LAPS. (no one seems to think Greenway is any good apparently)

The evidence that this front office cannot evaluate talent is overwhelming. Let's review some of the picks that haven't worked out so well...

Chris Cook
    Tarvaris Jackson
    Cedric Griffin
    Greg Blue
    Sindey Rice
    Marcus McCauley
    Aundrae Alison
    Rufus Alexander
    Tyler Thigpen
    Tyrell Johnson
    John David Booty
    John Sullivan (sorry guys, he sucks)
    Jaymar Johnson
    Asher Allen
    Phil Loadholdt (also sucks)
    Chris DeGeare
    Entire 2011 draft
    Last edited by C Mac D; 03-14-2012 at 12:18 PM.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

FuadFan is offline Hall of Famer
    John Carlson officially a Viking
    \
    https://twitter.com/#/caplannfl/stat...73617185079296

A lot of money hope we have a good 2 TE plan for the season since now we have an offseason to implement it.
    Minnesota Vikings : Simply the best

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries
    Griffin, Rice and Sullivan are all good picks, but the rest is 2nd and 3rd stringers or not even in the league..

Id say Thigpen was a pretty good pick also given that he was a 7th? round pick.

But we have not done a good job drafting while under Spielman, id agree.. He hasn't missed on many first rounders, but keep in mind that Peterson was a no-brainer and Harvin does have a lot of durability issues which did cost us games this season, because he was on the bench and not on field.

PS: You have Chris Cook twice.

What botheres me the most is that if Spielman and the rest of the orginazation is in rebuild mode, it will likely take us 2-3 years to get rid of him, because its a project that should make us competetive in 2-3 years and thats a lot of time.. I think that unless we draft really well, we could face have a tough task getting to 8-8 and don't start talking about playoffs any time soon.

The jury is still out on Ponder and we have not given him any targets, Carlson is not a better player than Shiancoe, so thats im my eyes a downgrade and i have trouble seing Joe Berger/Fusco and Charlie Johnson playing at the same level as Steve Hutchinson - even in this stage in his career.

We are a 3 win team, that is taking steps backwards and i don't like it.

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

YouthVikesFan is offline Training Camp
    Wow.. TE was a need but more than a reciever? I do like the idea of Carlson and Rudolf in a two TE set but that money could have been thrown at someone much more worthy and a bigger need for the team.

Brewtal is offline Starter
    Never seen such a bunch of complainers. There used to be good information found on this site, but that does not seem to be the case. It would be stupid to overpay for anyone in free agency and there is a reason the Vikings are not doing it. They are trying to re-build, what good does it do to overpay a player to throw into a team with as many holes as we have? None.

Quote Originally Posted by skum View Post
    The jury is still out on Ponder and we have not given him any targets, Carlson is not a better player than Shiancoe, so thats im my eyes a downgrade and i have trouble seing Joe Berger/Fusco and Charlie Johnson playing at the same level as Steve Hutchinson - even in this stage in his career.
    I'm not sold on Ponder. He'll be a serviceable backup in the league for 10-12 years, but nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewtal View Post
    Never seen such a bunch of complainers. There used to be good information found on this site, but that does not seem to be the case. It would be stupid to overpay for anyone in free agency and there is a reason the Vikings are not doing it. They are trying to re-build, what good does it do to overpay a player to throw into a team with as many holes as we have? None.
    Glad you decided to add your intelligent "information" to the discussion.

If you had bothered to read the entire thread, you'd see that people have been making that point since page 1.

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtal View Post
    Pretty much every player signed in free agency is overpaid, which makes them - paid at market rate, which is not overpaying.. If you want good players on your team, you are gonna have to pay up, And when we finally did, it was for 5m a year for a Tight End that didn't play at all last year, due to injuries..

Its just not fun to be a 3 win team, that is taking steps backwards and unless something really good happens in the coming days, we should be among the worst teams in the league in the coming season.

There are many questionmarks on this team, Rick Spielman is one, Leslie Frazier is another one, a new stadium is a third, Adrian Petersons rehab a fourth, Percy Harvin's durability a fifht and Jared Allen leaving because he doesn't want to play for a bad team could be a sixth.

We have had so many players leave now and we could end up needing many many new faces in here, so giving away 20% of our salary cap money to a Tight End in which he already have a starter in place, seems mindboggling and there is every reason to question this move.

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

purplehelmut is offline Pro-Bowler
    We're so bad at this point no one thing is going to fix it and it won't happen overnight. I may have missed something, but who's out there as a FA we want? Mario comes to mind because you can always use a pass rusher but he'll cost a bunch. With Ponder at QB (and I don't think he's a franchise QB) and Peterson probably not going to be fully back for another year at least (if ever) it's going to be real rough the next couple of years. I took a "leave of absence" during the Les Stekel debacle by tuning out the Vikings for a couple years. I may consider another such vacation.

Just read the contract details for John Carlson... $25M over 4 years with $11M guaranteed?

WHAT?!?!?! For a backup TE?

Oh boy... the Spielman era is going to be long and painful.

(Chris Cook will also be experiencing something long and painful soon)

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 34567 15 ... LastLast