Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    I don't.

His claim was GB hadn't drafted anyone since 2007. Clearly they did. Several of them in fact.

It's easy to sit back after the fact & say only a few of them are big name players, but what was GB's intent for those players when they first signed them?

Whether they became legit starters or is irrelevant. You can't say they were all signed with the expectation that none of them would become starters & they were all POS fillers until the players they drafted, whose NFL play was unknown, would come in & replace them. Surely GB would have loved for more of those FA's to become legit starters.

Let's also not forget how many of their own FA's that they re-signed that weren't even listed. They didn't simply let them all walk & sign elsewhere and replace them with younger draftees. They resigned them.

The thing is with GB, if they had a hole to fill or were short on depth they addressed it thru both FA & the draft. They weren't necessarily always big name FA players, but the point is, they filled the voids.

No one here is saying the Vikings need to fill all of their holes & depth shortage with Pro Bowl caliber FA's, but there are some key positions that you would like to have legitimate starters in them.

There are also holes that simply need filling period.

We lost 2 starting guards, 2 starting LB's & 2 other LB's who saw playing time. We also lost 2 starting CB's that have been starters, 2 starting TE's, a starting WR & a backup WR. We also have 3 SS in FA, but do have an abundance of S on the roster.

That list doesn't include the glaring needs we have at LT & depth at WR.

So far in FA, we addressed 1, count them, 1 of those major holes & we didn't upgrade from what we had.

What are the chances of filling all of those remaining positions with younger talent via the draft with just 10 picks?

Rebuilding via the draft, how many years do you feel it will take to acquire enough drafted players to reach the level of talent of all the vets we lost?
    OK.

Then lets just go out and fill as many holes in the starting roster with FA's as GB has since 2007. That should really change things.........

And how is what you are proposing anything similar to what GB has done during that time?

Are you proposing we go out and sign a bunch of FA guys nobody has heard of that will never see the field like the list you provided? You know, guys like former point guards that played arena football? If that is the case you should be ecstatic.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    Alright mr. football GM guru, since you obviously have this all planned out. How do you think we're turning this team into a contender in one year?

We're Not. What we will do, sign some players as depth players, re-sign a couple players (hopefully Erin Henderson and Aromashodu), and draft some players. Bring in some UFA's, a couple of which will make the team. We'll still suck, but ideally, we'll draft well and have three future starters, and four or so really solid backups. Next year, if there's a FA or two that would be great additions, super. Rinse and repeat.

We should not be signing any FA who happens to come our way. That's how teams get in cap trouble. All the good teams draft the core of their team, and sign a couple key players who fit what they do well. The rest of their FA signings are low-key depth players.

What is so hard to understand about this? Yes, we have a ton of holes, and yes, we'll sign a few more players, but don't expect any starters. (or should I say starting-quality players, we all know they'll invetiabely end up as starters)
    I never once said signing FA's would make us a contender in 1 year. Quit putting words I never said in my mouth.

What I'm saying is that we need to address needs both via FA & the draft.

If you let 4 LB's walk, you should be at least looking for 1 or 2 of those LB's via FA.

Spielman signed a RB.

When you cut two starting Guards, you should be at least looking at one replacement via FA.

Spielman didn't sign or look at any guards to replace them.

When you let 2 CB's go you should be at least looking at FA for a possible replacement.

Spielman answered that need by signing a 5'10" basketball point guard who never played football in college, not to a 1 year contract, but to a 3 year contract. Then he hung a DB label on him. His only football experience at all was 1 year in a minor arena football league.

So how much confidence do you have that all our real needs will be addressed during the draft?

You said 3 of our draft picks may pan out. That doesn't even fill the voids of the talent we lost.

True, top notch FA's will merit bigger salaries, which means a bigger cap hit, but what many people who claim "build thru the draft" fail to recognize is that players that are drafted cost a lot of money also.

I think it's safe to say that AD, who we drafted, is a big hit to our cap space.

I think it's safe to say that Greenway, who we drafted, comes with a hefty price tag as well.

GB built thru the draft. How big of a hit is Rodgers salary on their cap? What about Matthews? They were able to resign him, but that's not true of all draft picks. How about all the salaries of all the other Pro Bowl players that they drafted?

Once draft picks become FA's, they are free to go wherever they want & play elsewhere. Case in point, they just lost their starting center via FA.

Isn't Charles Woodson, a key player of their DB a FA signing?
    Last edited by singersp; 03-21-2012 at 07:40 AM.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    OK.

Then lets just go out and fill as many holes in the starting roster with FA's as GB has since 2007. That should really change things.........

And how is what you are proposing anything similar to what GB has done during that time?

Are you proposing we go out and sign a bunch of FA guys nobody has heard of that will never see the field like the list you provided? You know, guys like former point guards that played arena football? If that is the case you should be ecstatic.
    Nope, I didn't say sign a bunch of no name players no one heard of to fill the voids. I said sign players to fill the voids of the players we lost that are capable of being legit starters & not sign players to positions that aren't in dire need. They don't have to be at the top of the FA charts at all, but they certainly shouldn't be bottom feeders of the charts like Spielman is looking at.

What you keep missing is the FA's teams like GB re-sign. Of their starting roster how many of them are draft picks that have been re-signed when they became FA's?

How many of the Vikings draft picks since 2007 have we re-signed when they became FA's & are starting on offense or defense for the Vikings right now?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Vikestand is offline Coordinator
    Didn't waste my time reading the other 17 pages but I'll throw my 2-cents in anyways. Not sure I would want them to overpay on some of these guys out there now. And I don't want them picking up people who aren't much of an upgrade at our positions. I think we can all agree that this year won't be about making the playoffs unless of a miracle, pretty much develope Ponder. Next year we will have more cap room and a better understanding going forward on this project of rebuilding.

Anyways that is just my own personal opinion.

By Pack93z

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to the other with no loss of enthusiasm"-Sir Winston Churchill

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718