Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 174
  1. #121
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,777
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    Make up your mind. Are we rebuilding thru the draft or signing free agents. Cause you are talking about signing free agents.
    Starting players like Reisner and Schuler isn't exactly building through the draft. It's starting 6th and 7th round players who can't play.

    You build through the draft, and sign a couple FA's, but you don't go out and sign a team. It never works.

    Giants = Draft and sign
    What key players have they signed?
    All their key players were drafted or project players tha panned out
    Eli, Bradshaw, Jacobs, Manningham, Cruz, Boss, Snee, Diehl, Umenyora, Pierre-Paul, Hixon, Nicks, Tuck, Kiwanuka, Phillips, Webster
    A FEW key players like Rolle, Boley and... well that's about it, were signed as FA's. The rest of the important key players were drafted by the Giants.

  2. #122
    kevoncox's Avatar
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,910
    Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    Starting players like Reisner and Schuler isn't exactly building through the draft. It's starting 6th and 7th round players who can't play.

    You build through the draft, and sign a couple FA's, but you don't go out and sign a team. It never works.


    What key players have they signed?
    All their key players were drafted or project players tha panned out
    Eli, Bradshaw, Jacobs, Manningham, Cruz, Boss, Snee, Diehl, Umenyora, Pierre-Paul, Hixon, Nicks, Tuck, Kiwanuka, Phillips, Webster
    A FEW key players like Rolle, Boley and... well that's about it, were signed as FA's. The rest of the important key players were drafted by the Giants.
    Kevin Boss, TE for the Oakland Raiders at NFL.com
    Just got signed by the Chiefs. A very similar player and their stats are near identical.
    3 years 9 million
    We paid 5 years 25 million.

    To address your question I need more info about what you asking.
    1. Are you talking about this year? They won the superbowl
    2. They signed Canty, Boley, Antrel Rolle.
    You still want me to continue.
    The fact remains they signed starters. Starters. Former starters to start. They were missing key positions and filled them. We are missing key positions and filled one we already had. Congrats we are set at TE and Punter. Our FA strategy has been sign players from the CFL. The fucking Lions are better than us. Where is the pride that we deserve more than consecutive 3 win seasons. Where is the pride! When did accepting ineptitude become ok. This guy has been running the draft here for years. Moving him to GM won't do shit. HE CANNOT DRAFT. Not in Chicago, Not in Miami. Damn sure not in Minnesota. Look at the track record. I mean he traded a 2nd and 3rd to draft a back up running back. Who does that????? Yet, you and others sit here and talk about his plan like he has earned faith in his abilities. You know what....here is another smiley , you've earned it.
    Last edited by kevoncox; 03-15-2012 at 08:36 PM.

  3. #123
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,777
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    Kevin Boss, TE for the Oakland Raiders at NFL.com
    Just got signed by the Chiefs. A very similar player and their stats are near identical.
    3 years 9 million
    We paid 5 years 25 million.

    To address your question I need more info about what you asking.
    1. Are you talking about this year? They won the superbowl
    2. They signed Canty, Boley, Antrel Rolle.
    So they had a very solid group of players they drafted themselves, and signed 3 decent players to fill the few holes they still had.

    Compare that to us, who have a group of three solid players we drafted ourselves, one of which coming off a devastating knee injury, we can not fill the holes through free agency.

    please, enlighten me. What do we gain by spending big money in free agency? A year of mediocrity? THey won't all stay, some will leave, we'll have mid-round draft picks for the next 3 years, never improving, but not really being that bad either. We won't have much cap space to contest for a superstar if one hits the market in the upcoming years.
    You still want me to continue.
    Please do
    The fact remains they signed starters. Starters. Former starters to start. They were missing key positions and filled them. We are missing key positions and filled one we already had. Congrats we are set at TE and Punter. Our FA strategy has been sign players from the CFL. The fucking Lions are better than us. Where is the pride that we deserve more than consecutive 3 win seasons. Where is the pride! When did accepting ineptitude become ok. This guy has been running the draft here for years. Moving him to GM won't do shit. HE CANNOT DRAFT. Not in Chicago, Not in Miami. Damn sure not in Minnesota. Look at the track record. I mean he traded a 2nd and 3rd to draft a back up running back. Who does that????? Yet, you and others sit here and talk about his plan like he has earned faith in his abilities. You know what....here is another smiley , you've earned it.
    So you don't like Speilman.. join the crowd. But overspending on free agency isn't going to hel pthat at all. Best we can do is hope he figures out how to draft when he's running the show by himself. Because we WILL NOT be a superbowl team by trying to fill all these holes through free agency. We just won't.

  4. #124
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,777
    Blog Entries
    2
    Two years ago, you would have a very valid stance. Now, not so much.

  5. #125
    kevoncox's Avatar
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,910
    Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    So you don't like Speilman.. join the crowd. But overspending on free agency isn't going to hel pthat at all. Best we can do is hope he figures out how to draft when he's running the show by himself. Because we WILL NOT be a superbowl team by trying to fill all these holes through free agency. We just won't.
    Lets forget the other stuff and focus on this. I want you to understand me clearly. I do not want us to overspend in FA. I am simply saying the money that we have invested in this clearly average TE should have been spent elsewhere. We have bigger needs than the 2nd TE in our offense. Thats it. Im not saying lets buy a team. I am saying we are gonna spend this money...spend it where it matters. That was my entire point.

    You danced around the Kevin Boss contact nicely. Were a ballerina in a past life?
    *wink*

  6. #126
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,777
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post

    You danced around the Kevin Boss contact nicely. Were a ballerina in a past life?
    *wink*
    Ok, Oakland wants him to start, Boss wants to start. Boss isn't that great, won't get a ton of money, but takes the opportunity.

    Carlson is a decent player with a load of upside. Carlson came on his first visit to Minny, talked and signe don the spot because the Vikigns want him and were willing to pay. What is your point?

    We probably would have had to pay Boss more as well if he were coming here to be our #2... or just pay him more to come here at all.

  7. #127
    kevoncox's Avatar
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,910
    Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    Ok, Oakland wants him to start, Boss wants to start. Boss isn't that great, won't get a ton of money, but takes the opportunity.

    Carlson is a decent player with a load of upside. Carlson came on his first visit to Minny, talked and signe don the spot because the Vikigns want him and were willing to pay. What is your point?

    We probably would have had to pay Boss more as well if he were coming here to be our #2... or just pay him more to come here at all.
    Perharps that's the issue we disagree on. Boss and Carlson are the same players in my mind. Decent TEs nothing spectacular. I don't think Carlson has some untapped potential. I believe he is exact what you see from him. At best a 600 yard guy when a team has no other targets. A 400 yard guy when they do. Had we signed him to a 5 year Boss like contact, you wouldn't have heard a peep from me.

  8. #128
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,777
    Blog Entries
    2
    Yeah, a 400 yard guy with the likes of TJ throwing to him. 600 yard guy when hurt.

    Fact is, $2.5 mil isn't that much per year for a guy who should be playing the majority of snaps out there.

  9. #129
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,266
    Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    So they had a very solid group of players they drafted themselves, and signed 3 decent players to fill the few holes they still had.

    Compare that to us, who have a group of three solid players we drafted ourselves, one of which coming off a devastating knee injury, we can not fill the holes through free agency.

    please, enlighten me. What do we gain by spending big money in free agency? A year of mediocrity? THey won't all stay, some will leave, we'll have mid-round draft picks for the next 3 years, never improving, but not really being that bad either. We won't have much cap space to contest for a superstar if one hits the market in the upcoming years.

    Please do


    So you don't like Speilman.. join the crowd. But overspending on free agency isn't going to hel pthat at all. Best we can do is hope he figures out how to draft when he's running the show by himself. Because we WILL NOT be a superbowl team by trying to fill all these holes through free agency. We just won't.
    Here's a list of Vikings players that are FA this year. Granted a few of then are long gone, but still you can see there are a lot of holes to fill. There are 3 listed that have resigned. Unfortunately, none of them are starters as of yet, although Brown might start due to the shortage of OL men on the roster.

    QB Donovan McNabb UFA Minnesota Vikings Free Agent
    QB Ryan Perrilloux RFA Minnesota Vikings Free Agent
    QB Sage Rosenfels Re-signed Minnesota Vikings Minnesota Vikings
    RB Albert Young Signed Minnesota Vikings Pittsburgh Steelers
    WR Devin Aromashodu UFA Minnesota Vikings Free Agent
    WR Bernard Berrian UFA Minnesota Vikings Free Agent
    WR Greg Camarillo UFA Minnesota Vikings Free Agent
    WR Owen Spencer Signed Minnesota Vikings Cleveland Browns
    TE Jeff Dugan UFA Minnesota Vikings Free Agent
    TE Jim Kleinsasser UFA Minnesota Vikings Free Agent
    TE Visanthe Shiancoe UFA Minnesota Vikings Free Agent
    OT Patrick Brown Re-signed Minnesota Vikings Minnesota Vikings
    OG Anthony Herrera UFA (Cut) Minnesota Vikings Free Agent
    OG Steve Hutchinson Signed Minnesota Vikings Tennessee Titans
    C Matt Katula UFA Minnesota Vikings Free Agent
    DL Fred Evans UFA Minnesota Vikings Free Agent
    DL Letroy Guion Re-signed Minnesota Vikings Minnesota Vikings
    LB Xavier Adibi UFA Minnesota Vikings Free Agent
    LB E.J. Henderson UFA Minnesota Vikings Free Agent
    LB Erin Henderson UFA Minnesota Vikings Free Agent
    CB Cedric Griffin UFA (Cut) Minnesota Vikings Free Agent
    CB Cord Parks Signed Minnesota Vikings New Orleans Saints
    CB Benny Sapp UFA Minnesota Vikings Free Agent
    SS Husain Abdullah UFA Minnesota Vikings Free Agent
    SS Tyrell Johnson UFA Minnesota Vikings Free Agent
    SS Jarrad Page UFA Minnesota Vikings Free Agent

    So far, from what I see the Vikings have 8 picks in the upcoming draft, plus two compensatory picks for Rice & Edwards.

    Do you really believe those 8 picks will address all our holes? How many of those 8 picks do you believe will pan out?

    Do you believe we'll be a better team by replacing all those veterans with rookies, UDFA's & walk ons?

    True you can sign a bigger name FA & have him walk after his contract is up. How is that any different than a draft pick? You bring him in, train him, end up making him a starter only to watch him flee elsewhere for that big payday on another team.

    We have to sign a few top players in FA to replace the top players we lost otherwise we don't improve as a team.

    Spielman won't do that. He'll once again look for bargain basement filler FA players later in FA, when the pool is well picked over, who will get to start/backup & be mediocre at best.

    We'll probably have a worse offense line than last year, even if we draft Kalil, protecting what appears to be a mediocre QB who has yet to orchestrate a single win in 10 starts. Yes, I'm aware he has 2 wins credited to him, but one was a bail out by the opposing teams kicker when he whiffed a chip shot FG & the other was the Redskins game where he threw for a grand total of 68 yards with 0 TD's & Webb came in to bail him out by passing for 2 TD's & running for a 3rd.

    My guess is Speilman still wants to trade the 3rd pick for more value picks later in the draft & would have done so already, but there just aren't any takers yet.
    Last edited by singersp; 03-16-2012 at 07:59 AM.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  10. #130
    Stonecoldet3's Avatar
    Stonecoldet3 is offline Starter
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Grants Pass, OR
    Posts
    207
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    We'll probably have a worse offense line than last year, even if we draft Kalil, protecting what appears to be a mediocre QB who has yet to orchestrate a single win in 10 starts. Yes, I'm aware he has 2 wins credited to him, but one was a bail out by the opposing teams kicker when he whiffed a chip shot FG & the other was the Redskins game where he threw for a grand total of 68 yards with 0 TD's & Webb came in to bail him out by passing for 2 TD's & running for a 3rd.
    So let me get this straight....you discredit a win by Ponder because the opposing team missed a field goal. That is some twisted and down right silly logic at best.

    Using your logic...never mind not even going to go there...

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •