Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcdon00 View Post
    We have many needs, and they will be addressed in the draft. There is a lack of TE in this draft, which is why they knew they had to get a FA TE.
    If they Vikings were to try to fill every hole through free agency we would be over the cap. Instead they will attempt to fill holes with the draft, and then based on how those rookies pan out fill the gaps that remain with FA.
    Right now we need 1 or 2 starters at CB, 2 Starters at S, 1 or 2 starters at LB, 1 or 2 starters at WR, 3 Starters on the OL, you are gonna have a very hard time finding that many starters in the draft.

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by skum View Post
    even if we use many two-TE sets id rather have given the shot to Reisner, Shuler or an UDFA, saved the money and targeted one of the many OL's, WR's or DB's on the market.
    And this, ladies and gentlemen is why we are in such a shit position as a team.

Releasing established contributors like SHarper, Shiancoe, McKinnie, Leber, Pat Williams, Moss, etc. and replacing them with the Reisners, Shulers and UDFA's of the NFL.

That strategy doesn't work. We have ONE TE worth a damn on the roster. Now we have two. That position is no longer a glaring need. Best thing is, our replacement TE is at very worst, just as productive as Shank has been the past two years. At best, he's even better.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Right now we need 1 or 2 starters at CB, 2 Starters at S, 1 or 2 starters at LB, 1 or 2 starters at WR, 3 Starters on the OL, you are gonna have a very hard time finding that many starters in the draft.
    And you're going to have an even harder time finding all those starters in free agency. While staying under the cap.

People need to realize.... WE WILL NOT HAVE A COMPETITIVE TEAM THIS SEASON. there's too many holes. We aren't going to all of a sudden go from crap to a 13 win team. It just won't happen. We won't fill all the holes through free agency, if we do we'll be in cap hell for the next few years and be even worse than last season.

Like it or not, this is how you rebuild. Sign a couple key young guys, maybe spend on one or two free agents then draft well. Those who execute this well and draft well do well (see packers, pats, etc) Those who don't, well... don't.

We need to draft well, but we can not buy a team, no matter how badly Kevon wants to.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    And you're going to have an even harder time finding all those starters in free agency. While staying under the cap.

People need to realize.... WE WILL NOT HAVE A COMPETITIVE TEAM THIS SEASON. there's too many holes. We aren't going to all of a sudden go from crap to a 13 win team. It just won't happen. We won't fill all the holes through free agency, if we do we'll be in cap hell for the next few years and be even worse than last season.

Like it or not, this is how you rebuild. Sign a couple key young guys, maybe spend on one or two free agents then draft well. Those who execute this well and draft well do well (see packers, pats, etc) Those who don't, well... don't.

We need to draft well, but we can not buy a team, no matter how badly Kevon wants to.

SharperImage is offline Hall of Famer
    BUT I WANT TO WIN NOW!!! *8 yr old girl voice* *Throws Tantrum*

who wants to lose? or watch ur team get their ass kicked every sunday, and u be depressed while their getting their ass kicked? Can't even watch NFLN or sportscenter cause they'll be talking shit about ur team? I dont want 3 years of that shit.. for a potential good team in 3-4 years IF Spielman doesnt fudge it up, and draft incorrectly -_-

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

Question, (even though I agree with you) how did the Dolphins go from a 1-15 record in 2007 to winning the AFC East in 2008? Did they re-draft Chad Pennington?
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    Quote Originally Posted by SharperImage View Post
    I dont want 3 years of that shit.. for a potential good team in 3-4 years IF Spielman doesnt fudge it up, and draft incorrectly -_-
    Spielman has never drafted effectively and has continually destroyed rosters throughout his entire career. The 100% truth. (just look at who's left on our roster from the past 6 drafts.. then look at the bang-up job he did on the Dolphins)

The fact that he was promoted to GM despite his abysmal draft record shows that the Vikings' issues start at the top... The Wilfs.
    Last edited by C Mac D; 03-15-2012 at 01:14 PM.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Anderson View Post
    You were wrong about McNabb. Can you admit you might be wrong about this? No one is saying this a slam dunk, guaranteed great deal for us, merely that it's not that bad, even potentially good. You are making it out to be horrible, with no real reasoning other than "we have other needs" and phony contract claims about Vernon Davis or Antonio Gates with exclamation points and smilies.
    You made some good points about Mcnabb and I was wrong but that means I am at a push with the front office.

As far as you claiming I'm not backing my claims of contacts with " & !!!!!s"
    Top 10 Highest Paid Tight Ends in the NFL 2011 | Football | Top 10 Lists - Numeroten
    I never just run my mouth. I could seek better numbers for you but meh, I think a 5 sec search should do.

It's not a foolish signing but it is a waste. I provided figueres that show that our TEs are rarely a factor. That's not going to change with the signing of a guy that lost his starting job last season and had 300 yards receiving the year before. We begged this guy to skip going to KC and come see us and then threw a crapload of money at him. I have no faith in the draft process with this FO. We will hit the mark in rounds 1, 2 and 3. We will blow it the remaining rounds and find an average player in the 6th. We cannot build thru the draft Look at the last 6 years. What have we built? Everyone of the draft picks from round 3 or later is in turmoil.

Wr? no
    Te? no
    OL? Sully
    DE? Robinson...rotating with another 4th rounder.
    DT? Nothing of value
    LB? No
    CB? A. Allen...NO
    Saftey? Raymond and Sanford are starting but would be backups elsewhere. NO...

So in our entire roster. We have one guy on our team of value drafted past round 2.
    Hell I will throw in AA and Robinson just because. I'll even give you Joe Webb. We have 4 guys on our roster that was drafted after the 3rd round. Yet, you guys think we are going to be building thru the draft successfully? Wanna by my bridge in Brooklyn?
    Last edited by kevoncox; 03-15-2012 at 02:41 PM.

And this, ladies and gentlemen is why we are in such a shit position as a team.

Releasing established contributors like SHarper, Shiancoe, McKinnie, Leber, Pat Williams, Moss, etc. and replacing them with the Reisners, Shulers and UDFA's of the NFL.

That strategy doesn't work. We have ONE TE worth a damn on the roster. Now we have two. That position is no longer a glaring need. Best thing is, our replacement TE is at very worst, just as productive as Shank has been the past two years. At best, he's even better.
    Make up your mind. Are we rebuilding thru the draft or signing free agents. Cause you are talking about signing free agents.

Heres a hint, a competitive team does both.

Giants = Draft and sign
    Ravens = Draft and sign
    Pats = Draft and sign
    49ers = Draft and sign
    Saints = Draft and sign

Al he is saying is that OL, DB's and WR's are more pressing needs and giving 25 million with 11 guaranteed seems illogic, even if we use many two-TE sets id rather have given the shot to Reisner, Shuler or an UDFA, saved the money and targeted one of the many OL's, WR's or DB's on the market.
    Thank you. It's like having no legs but buying sneakers. You have more important needs. I rather take a lessor TE to be our #2 than to take a lessor Cb because we have none of those and will need the best one we can get.

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast