Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 174
  1. #91
    kevoncox's Avatar
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,916
    Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    Talk about not knowing the facts. We didn't waste 25 million. We at most wasted 11 million if he turns out to be a complete waste... over 5 years. so 2.25 mil per year. Wanna know Shiancoe's contract numbers? Base salary adds up to 5-year, 11.2 million. Add another 7 mil in signing bonuses then other incentives, the guaranteed money is the same for a younger, possibly more talented player.
    Actually you would have to include his first year's contact to that number as he most likely would have had to have played 1 year before we cut him. I wouldn't have nitpicked such an insignificant point because I knew what you were trying to say but... I had to point out how asinine it is to do so when you know I was talking about the total contact and not 25 million in 1 year.

    If you took the time to look deeper you would have noticed that we were injury riddled at the WR position last season and it only made sense to run multiple TE sets. However, you should also see based on the stats...that was utterly useless.
    You talk about time on the field together..... Look at this stat.
    Shanks last 3 games, the same time Rudolph caught fire..... 0 yards, 0 catches, 0 tds
    Read my lips...we run multiple TE sets but only one gets the ball. So.. did we draft a backup TE last season with a #2 pick or did we just sign a backup for 11million ? Either way we lose.

  2. #92
    kevoncox's Avatar
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,916
    Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    Kevon's just mad we haven't traded for Desean Jackson, signed Mike Vick and traded up for RGIII as well. Mad an non-sexy contributing position is being reinforced.
    Actually I am not. I don't want Jackson. I wanted Vick coming out of Prison (and I was right) but I wouldn't trade for him or trade up for RG3.

    You mistake me for a fool my friend. The fact remains that money WASTED... yes I said WASTED on a backup TE could have been spent to get the best guard in the game on this team. You know that position of Guard, the same one that protects our Qbs, the same position we have no one to fill at this moment. Well silly me, I believe that that 5 million per season we are willing (based on potential ) to pay a backup TE would be better put towards a starting guard, or Cb, or safety, or MLB, Or DT, or RG, Or WR, or WLB...
    BECAUSE WE DONT ALREADY HAVE ONE OF THOSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  3. #93
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,778
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    Actually you would have to include his first year's contact to that number as he most likely would have had to have played 1 year before we cut him. I wouldn't have nitpicked such an insignificant point because I knew what you were trying to say but... I had to point out how asinine it is to do so when you know I was talking about the total contact and not 25 million in 1 year.

    If you took the time to look deeper you would have noticed that we were injury riddled at the WR position last season and it only made sense to run multiple TE sets. However, you should also see based on the stats...that was utterly useless.
    You talk about time on the field together..... Look at this stat.
    Shanks last 3 games, the same time Rudolph caught fire..... 0 yards, 0 catches, 0 tds
    Read my lips...we run multiple TE sets but only one gets the ball. So.. did we draft a backup TE last season with a #2 pick or did we just sign a backup for 11million ? Either way we lose.
    Keep in mind as well, we have a QB with a weak arm. Getting the ball out to the outside receivers takes a bit more zip, something he doesn't have. Throwing to the slot/TE's across the middle seems like something that would be better suited for him, so adding another athletic receiving TE is a good idea.

  4. #94
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,778
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    Actually I am not. I don't want Jackson. I wanted Vick coming out of Prison (and I was right) but I wouldn't trade for him or trade up for RG3.

    You mistake me for a fool my friend.
    I'm mostly bugging, mainly pointing out how we never seem to ever agree on any personel moves.

    The fact remains that money WASTED... yes I said WASTED on a backup TE could have been spent to get the best guard in the game on this team.
    We have 24 mil in cap space, the money used on Carlson in no way affects our ability to go after Nicks. Spielman's inability to recognize our lack of talent is what caused Nicks to go elsewhere
    You know that position of Guard, the same one that protects our Qbs, the same position we have no one to fill at this moment. Well silly me, I believe that that 5 million per season we are willing (based on potential ) to pay a backup TE would be better put towards a starting guard, or Cb, or safety, or MLB, Or DT, or RG, Or WR, or WLB...
    BECAUSE WE DONT ALREADY HAVE ONE OF THOSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Also, we're not going to be winning next year. I know you were one of the hopeful that thought we could be a 9 win team. We're not. Pick up some good talented players to build up our offense or defense and build in the draft as well. Nicks would have been a great pickup, and I'm still hopeful for either OJ Atogwe or Laron Landry, but other than that, not alot of players I really like who are younger and can make an impact for a while with us. Ther eis no point of signing an older vet for most positions, because we will not be having a winning season anyway.

  5. #95
    Mr Anderson's Avatar
    Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    7,692
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    Did you guys watch the games last year?
    Are you delusional? Don't worry, I'll help draw a picture.
    Rudolph -26 catches 249 yards
    Shank -36 catches 409 yards

    Our team is now down a star running back and our defense has been dismantled.
    Even if Rudolph and Carson double those numbers. Its a bad signing. The guy had 627 YARDS when he was the only option for a team. We could have gotten a more athletic M. Bennett for a fraction of the cost. Either we wasted a 2nd round pick on a TE who is now a back up, or we wasted 25 million on a backup TE,
    Rudolph - 818
    Carlson - 500
    Yeah we should've gone after the super athlete Martellus Bennett. I'd love to watch him run 4.7 40s down the field and drop balls. Maybe he can whiff on blocks and run the wrong routes too. Maybe he can use his 34" vertical and 6'6" length to knock the ball out of the defenders hands when he fails to adjust to it.

    In 3 years with Dallas he never emerged. 3 years with the same QB on a winning team. At least he has his clothing line.

    Carlson's stats aren't outstanding, but they blow Bennett out of the water and the situation in Seattle has been far worse than in Dallas. He's not as good of an athlete, but Bennett's not all that great either. Carlson is a more well rounded player and no one has ever questioned his focus.

    Did we overpay for him? Possibly. We don't know yet. Fact of the matter, he was the best available tight end. Our coaches liked him, we got him. You can find any reason in the world not to like the guy, but he's here and the contract really isn't all that bad. Not nearly as bad as the contract we gave Shiancoe as a free agent, and while he was here underperforming for most of his years, where was everyone hating on him for the amount of money he was making?
    Last edited by Mr Anderson; 03-14-2012 at 11:27 PM.

  6. #96
    kevoncox's Avatar
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,916
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Anderson View Post
    Yeah we should've gone after the super athlete Martellus Bennett. I'd love to watch him run 4.7 40s down the field and drop balls. Maybe he can whiff on blocks and run the wrong routes too. Maybe he can use his 34" vertical and 6'6" length to knock the ball out of the defenders hands when he fails to adjust to it.

    In 3 years with Dallas he never emerged. 3 years with the same QB on a winning team. At least he has his clothing line.

    Carlson's stats aren't outstanding, but they blow Bennett out of the water and the situation in Seattle has been far worse than in Dallas. He's not as good of an athlete, but Bennett's not all that great either. Carlson is a more well rounded player and no one has ever questioned his focus.

    Did we overpay for him? Possibly. We don't know yet. Fact of the matter, he was the best available tight end. Our coaches liked him, we got him. You can find any reason in the world not to like the guy, but he's here and the contract really isn't all that bad. Not nearly as bad as the contract we gave Shiancoe as a free agent, and while he was here underperforming for most of his years, where was everyone hating on him for the amount of money he was making?
    Bennett has always been a back up TE to one of the top 3 TEs in the league. Carlson was a starter that had an above average rookie season, an average soph season and haven't done anything for 2 years. We reward this guy with a 5 million per year contact? That's Davis, Gates money.

  7. #97
    AngloVike's Avatar
    AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Sandhurst, UK
    Posts
    6,784
    Blog Entries
    4
    My take on this is that when we drafted Rudolph it was with a view to him replacing Shiancoe which is now coming to pass. Bringing Carlson in merely brings in a #2 TE to replace Rudolph - no point in bringing a top rated TE who would want even more money especially when we really don't do much in the way of utilising 2 TE sets.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...


  8. #98
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    Keep in mind as well, we have a QB with a weak arm. Getting the ball out to the outside receivers takes a bit more zip, something he doesn't have. Throwing to the slot/TE's across the middle seems like something that would be better suited for him, so adding another athletic receiving TE is a good idea.
    Exactly. You hit the nail on the head.

  9. #99
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1
    It makes a ton of sense to get a FA TE if you look at the roster and what they are trying to do. They are building around AP and Ponder. Nothing can help the running game in our offense more than two TE sets and if they feel this is the guy, then it was a good choice. Now it is up to Carlson to earn the money. Also, as IBP stated Ponder doesn't have the greatest arm in the world so having TE's to throw to is probably a better option than having a bunch of speed guys who would outrun his throws.

    The only thing I will say is if this is the direction they are going(Ball control,power football) then I hope to hell they either use the 3 pick on Cliaborne or trade back and get a guy like kirkpatrick and one of the other top 3 LT's. If they use the 3 on Kalil and try to get by with 2nd and later round CB's and what is left in FA we are going to be in all kinds of trouble because you cannot run a ball control offense and give up yards and points like our secondary has been doing.

  10. #100
    kevoncox's Avatar
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,916
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    Exactly. You hit the nail on the head.
    I'm not against adding an athletic TE. I am against paying him starter money.

Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •