Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    jimmymac is offline Pro-Bowler

Why do Vikings fans HATE the Packers?

Please, this is a serious question I have. Let me give you some personal background to explain why I have this question.

I grew up and have lived the majority of my life in Utah, California and Nevada. I have never been to Minnesota. I adopted the Vikings as my favorite team when I was a child. The first NFL game I can remember watching was the Superbowl between the Vikings and the Raiders in 1977. I loved Fran Tarkenton and the Purple People Eaters and continue to root for the Vikings every weekend.

But, since I was isolated from other hardcore Vikings fans I never knew (or was taught) that a REQUIREMENT to be a "true Vikings fan" was to hate the Green Bay Packers.

A couple years ago, I became a friend with a Minnesota state native that moved to the West. Since we are both Vikings fans we would always watch games together on Sundays.

Imagine his horror when one Sunday I told him that I had rooted for the Packers (and Favre) to win their Superbowls against the Patriots and Denver.

I was floored because I have always rooted for teams in the same division as the Vikings (Packers, Bears, Lions) when the Vikings were out of contention for the playoffs.

It's the same for other teams I like. For example I am a fan of the University of Utah football team especially when they play against the BYU football team in rivalry weekend. But, I root FOR BYU when they play against other teams because it makes the rivalry better and strengthen the conference both football teams play in (Mountain West).

So what's the answer? After speaking to my Minnesota native friend extensively about this I have come up with the following possibilities:

1. Minnesotans hate anything to do with Wisconsin because they are so close to them. But, Minnesota seems to like North Dakota.

2. Before the Vikings were formed, everyone in Minnesota was a Packers fan (and many old-timer Packer fans still remain in the state) and so there is on-going resentment.

3. The Packers have won 3 Superbowls and lost 1 whereas the Vikings are 0-4.

My friend from Minnesota says he doesn't agree with any of these reasons and just says that it's because the NFL officials and the media love Favre and the "fudge Packers" (his words).

I'm on the outside looking in and maybe being a non-native I can never be considered a "true fan" of the Vikings because I have rooted for the Pack in my life.

What is the truth?
    -- Sarcasm always turned on --

Lotza is offline Team Alumni

Re: Why do Vikings fans HATE the Packers?

same reason that yankees fans hate the bosox and why the bills fans hate the jets. and notre dame fans hate mich. and why.. really they smell of rotten cheese.

Go vikes!!

Jviking is offline Pro-Bowler

were not fond of anyone who lays with sheep.
    I BLEED PURPLE!

happy camper is offline Team Alumni

well, its fun. thats part of it.

and, if you live in minnesota, chances are you see (and smell) a packer fan wherever you go. in school, at work. we have to see those disgusting colors everytime we go to wal mart, eat at a restaraunt, get the paper, get gas. and if you see packer fans this much, chances are you're going to excange some words of competitve nature towards them. eventually it builds to hate.

so thats why i hate packers, i see them at wal mart. :lol:
    "There is good and there is evil. And evil must be punished. Even in the face of Armageddon I will not compromise."

Many of us Minnesotans hate most things from wisconsin. I think we think of NoDak, SoDak, and Iowa as our little brothers. Wisconsin is like the neighbor who is just gross.

Bubba_ND is offline Rookie

Nicely put. How have you never known that, its like a cross town rival but this is that X's 1000. Being a viking fans i cant believe you've never been told about this. Im from north dakota and im a big Yankee fan, and i hate the redsoxs with a passion.

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

"jimmymac" wrote:

Please, this is a serious question I have. Let me give you some personal background to explain why I have this question.

I grew up and have lived the majority of my life in Utah, California and Nevada. I have never been to Minnesota. I adopted the Vikings as my favorite team when I was a child. The first NFL game I can remember watching was the Superbowl between the Vikings and the Raiders in 1977. I loved Fran Tarkenton and the Purple People Eaters and continue to root for the Vikings every weekend.

But, since I was isolated from other hardcore Vikings fans I never knew (or was taught) that a REQUIREMENT to be a "true Vikings fan" was to hate the Green Bay Packers.

A couple years ago, I became a friend with a Minnesota state native that moved to the West. Since we are both Vikings fans we would always watch games together on Sundays.

Imagine his horror when one Sunday I told him that I had rooted for the Packers (and Favre) to win their Superbowls against the Patriots and Denver.

That is sacreligious!!! I will give you a break since you are an outsider!!

I was floored because I have always rooted for teams in the same division as the Vikings (Packers, Bears, Lions) when the Vikings were out of contention for the playoffs.

It's the same for other teams I like. For example I am a fan of the University of Utah football team especially when they play against the BYU football team in rivalry weekend. But, I root FOR BYU when they play against other teams because it makes the rivalry better and strengthen the conference both football teams play in (Mountain West).

So what's the answer? After speaking to my Minnesota native friend extensively about this I have come up with the following possibilities:

1. Minnesotans hate anything to do with Wisconsin because they are so close to them.

I guess this is partly true, but it is just a rival thing. I hate the Bears too, but the main nemesis is the cheesedicks!

But, Minnesota seems to like North Dakota.

We don't mind North Dakota becuase a lot of them cheer for the vikings, but we sure do hate the North Dakota Fighting Sioux hockey team!

2. Before the Vikings were formed, everyone in Minnesota was a Packers fan (and many old-timer Packer fans still remain in the state) and so there is on-going resentment.

Very true, and it kills me that they root for the cheesedicks!

3. The Packers have won 3 Superbowls and lost 1 whereas the Vikings are 0-4.

My friend from Minnesota says he doesn't agree with any of these reasons and just says that it's because the NFL officials and the media love Favre and the "fudge Packers" (his words).

I'm on the outside looking in and maybe being a non-native I can never be considered a "true fan" of the Vikings because I have rooted for the Pack in my life.

What is the truth?

I hate them because that's how I was raised, to dislike the cheesedicks and now living here my hate has grown even more and now I always root against them in every sport!!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

Del Rio Guest

I always root for UofU, I think I would have a seizure if I was to root for the Cougars LMAO......Now your Jimmy Mac avatar makes sense. Did you root for Roy High School too?

Any way, it's just fun that's why I do it. It seems to go in spurts though. I remember when Bears seemed to be hated more then the Pack. Whoever is top dog is who you strive to hate IMO.

As far as BYU and UofU goes it's all about proximity. I mean I will run into Cougar fans all over, they are the two big schools around here. Sure you have Utah State and Weber State, but the rivalry is always between two competitors. That amazing juke on Monday night football by the white reciever who literaly left the colts defenders jock strap laying on the field was a UTAH STATE alumni.

Take the two best teams put one steak in the middle of the floor and let them go at it. Throw in some fans that may live close to each other you have yourself a very fun rivalry.

jimmymac is offline Pro-Bowler

Del Rio,

I grew up 5 miles away from Roy High, but went to another high school.

I don't like BYU but I will be cheering for them against Notre Dame this week, because it will make the UofUlook stronger if they should win.

So far, no one has given a good answer:

sheep, smell, cheese, raised that way -- no substance IMHO. I see them at Wal Mart is the best answer so far. Of course that means there are A LOT of Packer fans in Minnesota which supports my #2 point.

Native Vikings fan seem to hate the Packer more than they LOVE the Viks sometimes.

I choose to be a Viking fan, I don't choose to hate the Packers, Lions or Bears, oh my.
    -- Sarcasm always turned on --

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

I love the vikes way more than I hate the pack, but that is what rivals are for. I don't think you can really explain why they don't like each other, they just don't. Families are divided by this rivalry, that is how fierce it is! the dislike is reciprocal and I wouldn't have it any other way!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast