Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    bad93ex is offline Rookie

Re: What's so great about Dom Capers?

Maybe this was answered already but if Dom Capers is such an awesome defensive coordinator why hasn't he been locked in one place for a decade?

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"bad93ex" wrote:
    Maybe this was answered already but if Dom Capers is such an awesome defensive coordinator why hasn't he been locked in one place for a decade?
    I've been wondering the same thing.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"pack93z" wrote:
    So far.. I will admit I am mildly disappointed with Capers ability to adjust within the game to take things away from the opponents as well as, IMO, taking full advantage of the personnel available to him. IE.. taking advantage of a thumping linebacker to help against the running attack while we are getting killed inside.

Mostly though.. assignment sure coached team.. just not as adjusting as I would have hoped through 3 weeks.
    In case you miss it, I have a topic that deals with the 3-4 and the ZB scheme you might find interesting
    http://www.purplepride.org/forums/in...cseen.html#new

Should be an interesting game

gagarr is offline Team Alumni

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "bad93ex" wrote:
    Capers' last job at Def Coord was with the 2007 Dolphins who ended the year ranked #32 against the run.

That's why.

Capers was also GB's 3rd choice and I imagine he will end up the scapgoat for another bad season, him or McCarthy.
    [size=12pt]
    Page 148.5 **Doleman 150.5 **Randle 137.5 **Allen 73+
    [/size]

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"gagarr" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "bad93ex" wrote:
    Capers' last job at Def Coord was with the 2007 Dolphins who ended the year ranked #32 against the run.

That's why.

Capers was also GB's 3rd choice and I imagine he will end up the scapgoat for another bad season, him or McCarthy.
    It all comes down to scheme and players on the roster to run that scheme especially when it comes to the 3-4.

As I said during the offseason, I don't think the PUKERs have the right personnel to cut over to the 3-4 this year and be successfull.
    Course during the preseason the PUKERs 3-4 looked good which got all the talking heads all onboard which in turn got the mindless masses all excited as well.

Alas, as we all know, preseason really doesn't mean squat, and the cutover isn't going as planned.
    Doesn't mean Capers is a bad coach.
    Just means that defense is still a work in progress.

If I was a PUKER fan (first I'd shoot myself), I would worry about the shift and how long it will take.
    TT doesn't like to bring in Vets and seems to really rely on the draft to build a team.
    That in of itself would make me assume that it will take 2 or 3 years before this D really gets it.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

gagarr is offline Team Alumni

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "gagarr" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "bad93ex" wrote:

That's why.

It all comes down to scheme and players on the roster to run that scheme especially when it comes to the 3-4.

As I said during the offseason, I don't think the PUKERs have the right personnel to cut over to the 3-4 this year and be successfull.
    Course during the preseason the PUKERs 3-4 looked good which got all the talking heads all onboard which in turn got the mindless masses all excited as well.

Alas, as we all know, preseason really doesn't mean squat, and the cutover isn't going as planned.

If I was a PUKER fan (first I'd shoot myself), I would worry about the shift and how long it will take.
    TT doesn't like to bring in Vets and seems to really rely on the draft to build a team.
    That in of itself would make me assume that it will take 2 or 3 years before this D really gets it.
    The problem with drafting/aquiring players for the 3-4 is that your stuck with them and will need to retool to go back to the 4-3.
    It would have been smarter to actually have a team where their best players are already 3-4 material.

But Harris, Woodson, and Kampman are not 3-4 material.
    Harris and Woodson are bump and run guys and are weak at zone (as Favre exposed) and Kampman is a good pass rusher, but a crappy pass defender.

If I was Kampman I would be PISSED.
    DE's are defined by their pass rush, especially sacks.
    OLB's are defined by pass rush and pass coverage.
    His pass rush is slow in 2 pt stance and he's weak at disguising it.
    His pass coverage is laughable.
    What the 3-4 has done is reduce Kampman's value by at least 25%.

Kampman's contract is up after 2010, he'll be considered a less than average OLB and a "once apon a time" up and coming DE.
    Neither will get him the big bucks.

Dom Capers will single handedly keep the Pack out of the playoffs.
    [size=12pt]
    Page 148.5 **Doleman 150.5 **Randle 137.5 **Allen 73+
    [/size]

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"gagarr" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "gagarr" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "bad93ex" wrote:

That's why.

The problem with drafting/aquiring players for the 3-4 is that your stuck with them and will need to retool to go back to the 4-3.
    It would have been smarter to actually have a team where their best players are already 3-4 material.

Harris and Woodson are bump and run guys and are weak at zone (as Favre exposed) and Kampman is a good pass rusher, but a crappy pass defender.

Kampman's contract is up after 2010, he'll be considered a less than average OLB and a "once apon a time" up and coming DE.

Good post.
    I'm sure we could find a role for Kampman in our defense.
    I'm afraid Ted Thompson has left the cupboard a little bare on both sides of the ball.

I seriously doubt they will do much better in lamblow. They just aren't that good.

It was all a preseason wet dream for Pack fans. Now they are waking up.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Blog Entries

"jargomcfargo" wrote:
    "gagarr" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "gagarr" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    [quote author=bad93ex link=topic=53119.msg1001452#msg1001452 date=1254353636]

That's why.

Good post.
    I'm sure we could find a role for Kampman in our defense.
    I'm afraid Ted Thompson has left the cupboard a little bare on both sides of the ball.

I seriously doubt they will do much better in lamblow. They just aren't that good.

It was all a preseason wet dream for Pack fans. Now they are waking up.
    [/quote]

Do it, pull the trigger, trade Favre for Kampman next season after we win the superbowl

Mattwaukee is offline Training Camp

Allow me to answer this question for you "viking fans"

Packers
    Top 5 Scoring defense.
    Packers Top 5 Yards allowed Defense.
    Packers Top 5 Turnover Defense.
    ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Vikings 23rd in Scoring Defense.
    Vikings 17th in Yards Allowed Defense.
    Vikings 12th in Turnover Defense.
    :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Blog Entries

"Mattwaukee" wrote:
    Allow me to answer this question for you "viking fans"

Packers
    Top 5 Scoring defense.
    Packers Top 5 Yards allowed Defense.
    Packers Top 5 Turnover Defense.
    ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Vikings 23rd in Scoring Defense.
    Vikings 17th in Yards Allowed Defense.
    Vikings 12th in Turnover Defense.
    :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
    come talk when you play a good team that you don't lose to.

So far you've played 2 good teams, Vikings and Bengals, and you lost to both.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Vikings, 6-1
    ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Packers 4-2
    :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast